AFL Fans Very Accepting of Indigenous Culture

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

AFL Fans Very Accepting of Indigenous Culture

Post by Beaussie »

Better, yes, better than the national average.

Who made the ridiculous assumptions that AFL fans were nothing but racist bogans? Pretty impressive survey results don't you agree? Well done Sydney fans in particular. =D>
Survey shows Sydney Swans fans most accepting of indigenous culture

Malcolm Conn
The Daily Telegraph
May 26, 2014 8:00PM

Swans Lance Franklin, Adam Goodes and Lewis Jetta stand in the centre circle next to the letter "R" which stands for recognise at the SCG. Picture: Brett Costello Source: News Corp Australia

A week after Australian of the Year Adam Goodes was racially vilified by opposing supporters for the second time in a year, a new survey has found Swans fans the most accepting of indigenous culture.

With the Swans set to launch the AFL’s indigenous round against Geelong at the SCG on Thursday, Goodes will be a central figure along with fellow indigenous stars Buddy Franklin and Lewis Jetta.

The latest findings from Roy Morgan Research, which coincide with National Reconciliation Week, show that 77.5 per cent of Swans fans agree that Aboriginal culture is an essential component of Australian society.

The Swans are closely followed by the Western Bulldogs (77.3%), Hawthorn (76.7%) and Geelong Cats (73.0%).

Across all 18 clubs 71 per cent of Australia’s 7,611,000 AFL supporters believe Aboriginal culture is important, which is slightly above the national average of 69 per cent.

Swans coach John Longmire is proud of the way that Goodes, a 34-year-old dual Brownlow Medallist, has handled himself after highly publicised abuse incidents against Collingwood last season and Essendon in Sydney’s previous match.

“He’s very passionate about his causes and he’s willing to say it how it is,” Longmire said.

“He also understands that his footy this week is a big part of what he wants to do and how he wants to perform.

Graphic: Supplied

“He’s been able to get the balance of what he wants to do on and off the field really well to be honest.

“He’s been remarkable how he’s handled it.”

Thursday’s game will have extra meaning for Goodes, with the Swans running out in a jumper designed by his mother, Lisa Sansbury.

The Swans have a proud indigenous record, with recently retired forward Michael “Magic” O’Loughlin becoming the first player at the club to register 300 games. Goodes now holds the club record with 335 games.

“Mick O’Loughlin has been a real shining light for this footy club,” Longmire said.

“Two blokes who are really proud of who they are and where they come from and the impact they can have. They’re certainly looking forward to this game.”

The Swans will be without ruckman Mike Pyke again with a hamstring strain while Ben McGlynn returns.

Longmire believes that Goodes is poised to make a significant impact after a quiet return following a long lay-off.

He missed the second half of last season and opening month of this season with recurring knee problems, playing the last four matches with little influence on games.

Goodes was subbed out after quiet nights against Hawthorn and Essendon in his previous two matches.

“His first two games were pretty good and he’s just getting used to the training load and the playing load as well,” Longmire said.

“He’s been able to consistently train well for us over the last few weeks and that turns to good form sooner rather than later.

“We know he’s a flexible player that can play any role on the ground.

“We’re confident he’ll be able to play a really good game for us.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6932180419
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Re: AFL Fans Very Accepting of Indigenous Culture

Post by TLPG »

Given what a stupid state Queensland is, I'm not really surprised the Suns are on the bottom of that list. Brisbane's position would be because of their Fitzroy connection. It's also good to see the Bulldogs second on the list, which indicates clearly that the idiot who abused Jeddah the other week is on their own.

I wonder if a similar survey has been done for the NRL? Could be very interesting!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

What a joke.
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

I personally have always found the AFL quiet open to all people , regardless of culture , creed or religious beliefs - providing they have one white parent of course. :_<>
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NRLCrap1
Coach
Coach
Been liked: 0

Post by NRLCrap1 »

That's fricking Eliagh style Black Panther bullshit, Kitten!
DON'T MAKE ANY BETS WITH ELIAGH!! HE WELCHES WHEN HE LOSES!!
DAVE'S RIVER IN EGYPT - JUNIOR ACT TEAMS: AFL 109 RL 107
CHEWBACCA IS A GOOSE! A GOOSE I TELL YOU! A GOOSE!
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Bullshit Spambot .
Many links to many articles were posted ,but of course either ignored or denounced by the AFL cultists.

No sport that has a ONE WHITEY PARENT rule should be beating its chest about anything to do with indigenous peoples.
The same with NOT punishing an openly blatent racist as a club boss.

Instead the AFL & media go into .
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
He didn't mean it
'He was tired .
Poor poor eddie speaks before thinking.

Blah blah blah..

This article is just another feelgood exercise.
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Jeppers, one day, I hope Rugby League manages to have a few local Indigenous lads play in some of our teams.

Hang on :-k

LOL what a bunch of peasants :[]
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

ParraEelsNRL wrote:
Jeppers, one day, I hope Rugby League manages to have a few local Indigenous lads play in some of our teams.

maybe one day they will get an Indigenous player to Captain their country .
OH wait on ....They have no International COMP.

🤣
Xman wrote
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote:
ParraEelsNRL wrote:

:(/ :(/ :(/

Never gets old.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-2...-worse/5481790

Adam Goodes worried AFL racism could get worse before it improves

Adam Goodes has warned the racism surrounding Australian Rules could get worse before it gets better.

Sydney star Goodes has been the victim of two acts of racial vilification at AFL grounds in Melbourne over the past year.

He was abused by a Collingwood supporter in 2013 and by an Essendon fan earlier this month.

While buoyed by the amount of people speaking out against racism, Goodes sounded a cautionary note when asked if it was a bigger issue than when he entered the AFL 15 years ago.

"I think what we're going to find unfortunately is that it's going to get worse before it gets better," Goodes said on Tuesday.

"Ever since the Essendon game, the amount of phone calls that I'm getting from people in junior football leagues asking for support on 'How do we deal with this issue at our local football club? This is what happened on the weekend'.
Whitey ball will need a 2 white parent rule soon.

🤣
Xman wrote
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

Who are these people in the junior leagues? Parents? Club officials? If there's a problem there, the junior league should be jumping on it. If not, then why not would be the question I would be asking. I can tell you this - if I heard any racial abuse against a player while I was umpiring I would very quickly act. If it was an opposition player that's reportable and big time. Red card offence and a compulsory tribunal appearance. If it came from a spectator I would alert the home club so that the spectator could be removed (that is the home club's responsibility no matter who the spectator supports).
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
NRLCrap1
Coach
Coach
Been liked: 0

Post by NRLCrap1 »

ParraEelsNRL wrote:
AFLcrap1 wrote:
ParraEelsNRL wrote:

Never gets old.
International Cup, you pair of geese!!
DON'T MAKE ANY BETS WITH ELIAGH!! HE WELCHES WHEN HE LOSES!!
DAVE'S RIVER IN EGYPT - JUNIOR ACT TEAMS: AFL 109 RL 107
CHEWBACCA IS A GOOSE! A GOOSE I TELL YOU! A GOOSE!
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

NRLCrap1 wrote:
ParraEelsNRL wrote:
AFLcrap1 wrote:
ParraEelsNRL wrote:

Never gets old.
International Cup, you pair of geese!!
Who do AUSTRALIA play?.
:_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<>
Or is the team from Victardia too busy eating 4 n 20 sausage rolls.
Or checking the parentage of players to make sure their heritage is half WHITE?

🤣
Xman wrote
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Dear Lordy what sort of a fukked up research are we touting here at talking footy beaussie!? Delete it at once. :lol: Actually no, keep it up, it in fact makes for interesting analysis.

So 70 odd% of the AFL fansy's tick the widdle feel good box for Aboriginal culture do they? Of course they do! Its the woeful example of a feel good statement one which most probably wouldnt really understand what they are agreeing with in any depth. So really, if we adjust this figure to include those who were dead honest in their response then we're probably looking at around 40%. Sad to think this is also the australian number.

I'd put forward an educated guess that RL is a higher %, a fair bit higher. We just dont get the same numbers of racist incidents, plain and simple really. I actually recall no incidents of racism in the change rooms and on the fields in all my time viewing and playing RL. Marngrook on the other hand? I can recall 3 incidents in 3 years. Saddens me that i didnt have the guts in the dressing room to pull up my teammates about it...i was pretty new to the team and didnt wanna get offside but its one of those things i would do differently if i had my time again.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Given that the demographic of a rl supporter is generally your bogan redneck ... Typified by regional qld... And it is the usually uneducated feral that makes such comments, I think it would be fair to say the rl has more then their fair share of racist supporters ... Afl does has a few as well as it covers many demographics ..,. However it is what we do about these people. We have already educated dave about how when he tries to put down afl players as being gay or that afl is a bastion of homosexuality ... That he is actually making homophobic remarks in try to make afl look bad by associating it with homosexuality, which in his eyes, is bad... Hence his pairing of the two . We can now do the same with those racists out there who belittle others based on the colour of their skin. Just last year, an aboriginal boy was vilified by an opposition parent at mudgeerabra. When another parent complained nothing was done on the day. Not until she went to the media was action put in place. It happens in junior afl too...rather than fight each other as to which code is worse, why not band together and fight racism itself. Point scoring on whose code does it less just divides and is useless point scoring... If it weren't such a Serious topic I'd say go for it ... But it is serious so let's be united in stamping out racism wherever it occurs
Veni, vidi, vici