Super 14 - Melbourne or Perth?

Rugby Union news and discussion.

Super 14 - Which City Will Win Approval From The ARU?

Melbourne
50%
Perth
50%

Total votes: 8

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 50 times

Super 14 - Melbourne or Perth?

Post by Beaussie »

Well the previous poll was lost, so here it is again. Vote away on who you think will be granted the next Australian licence. I'm going with Perth as I believe they have proved crowd support will not be a problem. This of course being based on the support shown for rugby internationals in Perth.

In related news, Rebecca Wilson's gossip page in yesterdays Sunday Telegraph reported that the rumour is that Perth is the preferred option. I know, I know before you say it, she aint the most reliable source, but who knows she might have some inside information.

Meanwhile in other related news, the Victorian government has promised a new boutique rectangular stadium next to Olympic Park if Melbourne gets the go ahead.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

There are pros and cons for both.

Perth for me ATM.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Perth geographically as a stop over to South Africa will probably be the deciding factor IMO.
MG

Post by MG »

Perth. 8)
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Beaussie »

Gregan intimidated by AFL, says Steiner
December 2, 2004 - 6:39PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Breaking-News/
Gregan-intimidated-by-AFL-says-Steiner/2004/12/02/1101923262607.html

Fearless Wallabies captain George Gregan has never stepped back from a an onfield confrontation.

It is for this reason that Melbourne Super 14 bid team general manager Ron Steiner is disappointed the feisty halfback has endorsed Perth over his city for the fourth Australian rugby franchise.

Steiner believes Gregan is intimidated by the presence of AFL in Melbourne and afraid no team could capture a sufficient market share in the sports-mad city.

"I was not shocked, more disappointed," said Steiner.

"Coming from his particular view it did not appear he knew our full criteria and objectives for the team.

"The irony is he seems to be intimidated by AFL. Why? He is not intimidated on the rugby field.

"We are not intimidated by AFL. We are trying to do what he does on the field and that is seize the gap and grab the opportunity."

Gregan on Wednesday expressed concern over the Melbourne bid, fearing a rugby team in the AFL-dominated city would not pull the crowds, as is the case with rugby league side the Melbourne Storm.

"Melbourne has offered the Wallabies excellent support as well but Melbourne is primarily AFL and that will always be the case," said Gregan.

"Perth is where the Super 14 team should go. The city has been fantastic in terms of growth and support for the Wallabies and rugby.

"My gut feeling is that the Perth people would get right behind it."

Steiner said he was surprised by Gregan's views, particularly given that most players had been supportive of the Melbourne bid during their discussions.

"We have spoken to a number of players and coaches and without exception they have all expressed enthusiasm for what we are doing in Melbourne," he said.

"The players are excited about being part of something new and also the location of Victoria would ensure maximum efficiency in relocating family.

"Let's face it, Perth is a long haul flight from the east coast."

Steiner was hopeful Gregan's preference for Perth was not an opinion shared by his Wallaby teammates as many of them were on Melbourne's target list.

Heading that list for a 2006 team would be out-of-contract stars such as Clyde Rathbone, Wendell Sailor and Elton Flatley.

"We have not spoken to anybody about signing, we are not getting ahead of ourselves," said Steiner.

"There is about 30 or 40 players who come off contract at the end of 2005 and if we can get some of the first half of those we will be competitive.

"There was real depth in that list and that is not to mention the players overseas.

"But the key position to build around is the coach. It is the first and critical piece of the jigsaw.

"We will not compromise on quality."

The ARU board will decide which city gets the franchise at a meeting on December 10.

I still think Perth will get the go ahead. The AFL would make things very difficult for the ARU in Melbourne I would think, particularly as the ARU has been doing the same to the AFL in Sydney.