AFL football TV ratings and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

AFL TV Rights = $1.6 Billion in 2016

Post by Beaussie »

Wow, and now we have Ken Williams on the AFL Commission. Happy days ahead for the AFL and its clubs with a deal that could go as high as $2 billion. :thumbleft:
The AFL's broadcasting rights could be worth $1.6b in 2016

Date February 18, 2014

Jon Pierik
Sports writer with The Age

A leading media analyst predicts the next AFL broadcast rights contract will be worth up to $1.6 billion, as the league moved to beef up its intricate knowledge of the media by appointing former News Corp chief Kim Williams to its board.

Williams, a Port Adelaide supporter, has replaced Rio Tinto boss Chris Lynch, who is based in London, on the nine-member board.

The current $1.25 billion, five-year broadcast rights deal with Seven West Media (Channel Seven), Foxtel and Telstra does not expire until after the 2016 season but talks are likely to accelerate later this year.

The AFL had already strengthened its broadcasting knowledge, securing former Foxtel executive Peter Campbell last year to head its AFL Media division.

Williams was in charge at News Corp when Foxtel brokered its most recent deal with the AFL. He had previously been chief executive of Foxtel for a decade.

Roger Colman, an experienced research analyst with CCZ Stratton Equities, would not rule out a new broadcasting deal reaching $2 billion but said it was more likely to fall short. ''I gave 5 per cent per annum on $1.25 billion, I got to between $1.5 billion and $1.6 billion. That's what I think it's worth even at a premium inflation rate compared with expected TV advertising growth,'' he said.

''[It includes] a premium inflation rate with sports rights, with a certainty of ratings and cross-promotional benefits and the fact it is 'tentpole' stuff that networks need relative to general advertising and product revenue availability.''

What could inflate the contract is if networks Nine and Ten join the bidding. Nine was not involved in discussions in 2011, while Ten initially wanted to retain the rights it had held since 2002 (initially with Nine and Foxtel) but pulled out because of financial problems.

However, with the value of live sport escalating, in part because it cannot be illegally downloaded, there are suggestions Ten, also buoyed by its ratings for the Big Bash League and the Sochi Winter Olympics, could be involved in a bid.

''We will look at any significant sport rights contract, as long as it makes economic sense for our business,'' Neil Shoebridge, Ten's director of corporate affairs, said on Monday.

Williams said on Monday that developments in the digital side of the business would be ''incredibly interesting''. His nomination was recommended by a sub-committee of Collingwood president Eddie McGuire, West Coast chairman Alan Cransberg, commissioner Linda Dessau and AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick.

The Australian Financial Review reported on Monday that Williams' appointment had an even deeper meaning, and was linked to the fierce behind-the-scenes battle between the AFL and the reporting of the Essendon supplements scandal by News Corp newspapers, the Herald Sun and The Australian.

''News Corp is perceived to have taken the side of suspended Essendon coach James Hird. After Mr Williams lost his reform battle at News against senior editorial executives Peter Blunden and Chris Mitchell, his appointment as an AFL commissioner is being seen as payback by AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou,'' AFR columnist Joe Aston wrote.

Fitzpatrick and Williams, however, denied the claims.

''I'm quite perplexed by that,'' Williams said. ''I could actually construct it in quite a different way and say it arguably links the organisations through an intimate understanding on both sides.''

Fitzpatrick said ''Andrew had nothing to do with this appointment''.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... z2ti3aTnrb
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra
Been liked: 0

Re: AFL TV Rights = $1.6 Billion in 2016

Post by Raiderdave »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<>

theres no way in hell the VFL will secure a 33% rise on their next deal

Ch 7 will barely pay a cent more then the 595 Mill they pay for 4 games now
as they are forced to simulcast with Foxtel & have lost millions of veiwers & advertising revenue as a result
& when no FTA carrier is prepared to simulcast & pay 33% more
the VFL will have to quit this arrangement or forgo a large rise from either FTA or Pay
one will pay about 200 million more then they do now
the other will pay essentially the same amount

the VFL will get around 1.4 Billion for their next media rights deal

the NRL will top 1.5 Billion for their next deal
off the back of 24 extra games , a new Market in Western Australia allowing a lot more live coverage into NSW & QLD
& no first & last rights clause tying the rights to Ch 9 & Foxtel
end of :cool:
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
NRLCrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB

Post by NRLCrap1 »

In your dreams, Dave. And I'm talking about the NRL getting 1.5 billion. They will remain behind the AFL on the next deal, because there won't be an NRL team in WA.
DON'T MAKE ANY BETS WITH ELIAGH!! HE WELCHES WHEN HE LOSES!!
DAVE'S RIVER IN EGYPT - JUNIOR ACT TEAMS: AFL 109 RL 107
CHEWBACCA IS A GOOSE! A GOOSE I TELL YOU! A GOOSE!
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

The NRL more than doubled last time Whilst that sought of growth can't be expected this time I expect our lead over the AFL will increase!!!

Infact, with CH 7,9 and 10 all mad keen to get league it hard to work out who will bid for the AFL. Maybe the ABC, :drunk: 800k my be a more realistic figure :(/
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NRLCrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by NRLCrap1 »

The ONLY thing the other networks would want is SOO. Not the rest of it. But they all want AFL.

The ONLY reason the NRL deal "doubled" was that Nine told the NRL that they could have that amount - as long as Nine could tell the NRL when to schedule their games!! What sort of deal is that eh?
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

NRLCrap1 wrote:
The ONLY thing the other networks would want is SOO. Not the rest of it. But they all want AFL.

The ONLY reason the NRL deal "doubled" was that Nine told the NRL that they could have that amount - as long as Nine could tell the NRL when to schedule their games!! What sort of deal is that eh?
Oh My.

:[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[]
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

NRLCrap1 wrote:

??? Channel 9 doesn't get to schedule games, That was taken off them and they still MORE than doubled. And the scheduling isn't like the AFL where Ch 7 get to ban 30% of the teams from the major timeslot.

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NRLCrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by NRLCrap1 »

Prove that Nine lost their right to dictate the schedule/draw.

Prove that Seven ban 5.4 teams from major timeslots (Who is the 0.4 team????).
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

funny :?>
I coulda swore fumblers doubted the NRL's ability to get a deal even in the ball park of theirs last time round :-k

8-[

:(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<>

& here they go again !! :lol: :lol: :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
these dumb chunts just never learn :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

NRLCrap1 wrote:
Prove that Nine lost their right to dictate the schedule/draw.

Prove that Seven ban 5.4 teams from major timeslots (Who is the 0.4 team????).
Bulldogs , another Melbourne team, The Suns, the giants and an Adelaide are banned from the Fri night timeslot.

Ch 9 previous got to choose the games 6 and 10 weeks in advance now its 20 weeks.

You could always try looking.

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The_Wookie wrote:
pussycat wrote:

Bulldogs , another Melbourne team, The Suns, the giants and an Adelaide are banned from the Fri night timeslot.

Ch 9 previous got to choose the games 6 and 10 weeks in advance now its 20 weeks.

haha bullshit. They arent banned, they are amongst the lower drawing teams in terms of support and tv audience, and thus they dont get scheduled with the agreement of the league and channel 7, and even that is getting changed this year. You could have put half the league into the category of missing friday night matches.
These team are not allowed to be telavised in the Friday night time slot as part of the tv deal call it what you like but its hardly bullshit.

I think you will find that all NRL teams all appeared at least once in the Fri night slot.

adamj1300
Has thanked: 0

Post by adamj1300 »

pussycat wrote:
The NRL more than doubled last time Whilst that sought of growth can't be expected this time I expect our lead over the AFL will increase!!!

Infact, with CH 7,9 and 10 all mad keen to get league it hard to work out who will bid for the AFL. Maybe the ABC, :drunk: 800k my be a more realistic figure :(/
rubbish the NRL's ratings are down & will continue on doing down, Channel 9 picks the NRL televised schedule. if the NRL chooses to take control of their own tv scheduling, they will get less
NRLCrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by NRLCrap1 »

pussycat wrote:
The_Wookie wrote:
pussycat wrote:

haha bullshit. They arent banned, they are amongst the lower drawing teams in terms of support and tv audience, and thus they dont get scheduled with the agreement of the league and channel 7, and even that is getting changed this year. You could have put half the league into the category of missing friday night matches.
These team are not allowed to be telavised in the Friday night time slot as part of the tv deal call it what you like but its hardly bullshit.
Until you provide evidence of this - you're talking out of your arse.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

adamj1300 wrote:
pussycat wrote:

rubbish the NRL's ratings are down

& yet RL's figure was STILL 11 Million more then the fumbles & bumbles was :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<>

watch it set new records in 2014
&
when we have an extra 24 games in 2018 , watch that 11 million lead become 15 Million
will the fumbles & feebles beat RL ever again in the ratings ? :-k

I think not folks
I

think not :cool:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Swans4ever
Coach
Coach
Team: Sydney Swans

Post by Swans4ever »

Raiderdave wrote:
adamj1300 wrote:
pussycat wrote:

rubbish the NRL's ratings are down

& yet RL's figure was STILL 11 Million more then the fumbles & bumbles was :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<>

watch it set new records in 2014
&
when we have an extra 24 games in 2018 , watch that 11 million lead become 15 Million
will the fumbles & feebles beat RL ever again in the ratings ? :-k

I think not folks
I

think not :cool:
Only in imagination land
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS