Collington AFL president Eddie McGuire makes Gorilla gaffe

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Rabbit
Seniors
Seniors
Team: South Sydney FC
Been liked: 0

Collington AFL president Eddie McGuire makes Gorilla gaffe

Post by Rabbit »

Eddie Maguire has apologised for suggesting Adam Goodes be used to promote the musical King Kong, just days after the Collingwood president apologised for a racist taunt directed at the Sydney star by a Magpies fan.
Goodes was called an "ape" by a teenage girl during the Swans’ clash against the Magpies last Friday night, and McGuire earned praise by the way he responded to the situation, immediately approaching the Swans star in the rooms after the game on behalf of his club.
Greg Baum on Adam Goodes
You can see them doing that, can't you? Goodesy. You know, the big, not the ape thing, the whole thing...

But on Wednesday Maguire was discussing with Luke Darcy on their breakfast radio show on Triple M a promotion of the King Kong musical in which an ape’s hand was hung from the Eureka Skydeck, 300 metres above the ground.

Darcy said: "One of the great promos ever was the hand coming out of the Eureka tower. What a great promo that is for King Kong."
Advertisement
McGuire interjected: "Get Adam Goodes down for it, you reckon?"
"No, I wouldn't have thought so," was the response from Darcy.

McGuire went on, stumbling over his words: "You can see them doing that, can't you? Goodesy. You know, the big, not the ape thing, the whole thing... I'm just saying pumping him up and mucking around and that sort of stuff."
Soon after, the usually polished media performer tried to explain his comment.
"Just to clear up, when we were talking about King Kong there and I was mumbling my way through about Goodesy...’’ McGuire said.
"I was trying to say 'Imagine the old days of trying to get people in for publicity' and I've mumbled my way through that, so anyone who thought that I was having a go or being a smart alec, I take that back."
Darcy however expressed the confusion of most listeners.
"Yeah. Not sure where you were going there," he said.
McGuire agreed.
"Nah, neither did I... I was that exhausted this morning, so apologies for that," McGuire said.
"But I was thinking you know in the old days in these situations the publicity and that type of thing. I was off on a tangent somewhere.
"Just in case people are thinking 'What the hell's he on about?', I have no idea either!"

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/mcgu ... 2na8h.html
"The Victorian game may be the best game of football, but if it is so manifestly superior, one would fancy it could plead its own cause, and not require advertising like a quack pill."
Rabbit
Seniors
Seniors

Re: Collington AFL president Eddie McGuire makes Gorilla gaf

Post by Rabbit »

Funny when you compare this to what happened to David Morrow. What Morrow said with his very crappy impersonation of an aboriginal maybe in jest, maybe also non-PC, but it was absolutely nothing compared to what has been happening here with the AFL - first with what those two Collingwood fans said on Friday night, and now with what Eddie said. Yet, Morrow had to attend some race relations course for community service as well as being barred from calling both State of Origin AND the NRL finals. The punishment doesn't meet the crime and he has every single right to feel aggrieved when he looks at how the AFL have dealt with the aforementioned offenders.
"The Victorian game may be the best game of football, but if it is so manifestly superior, one would fancy it could plead its own cause, and not require advertising like a quack pill."
Rabbit
Seniors
Seniors

Post by Rabbit »

"He's punishing himself this morning, I've got no doubt,'' Demetriou said at the opening of an Australian Football oval at Burpengary Regional Sports Park, north of Brisbane.
"It's very uncharacteristic for Eddie. He knows he's said the wrong thing because he's apologised.
"It's very un-Eddie. I know Eddie. The one thing you do know about Eddie, and you saw it on Friday night with his actions straight after the Adam Goodes incident, he's the last person who has got a racial bone in his body.
"He just got it wrong this morning. He's apologised. I don't know what was going on?' Early start? I don’t know.
"But I'm sure he's feeling remorseful about it.

"Let's just put that one behind him because it's very un-Eddie like.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6652958064

[-X [-X Sweep Sweep
piesman2011
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood

Post by piesman2011 »

Rabbit wrote:
Funny when you compare this to what happened to David Morrow. What Morrow said with his very crappy impersonation of an aboriginal maybe in jest, maybe also non-PC, but it was absolutely nothing compared to what has been happening here with the AFL - first with what those two Collingwood fans said on Friday night, and now with what Eddie said. Yet, Morrow had to attend some race relations course for community service as well as being barred from calling both State of Origin AND the NRL finals. The punishment doesn't meet the crime and he has every single right to feel aggrieved when he looks at how the AFL have dealt with the aforementioned offenders.

I would have thought that the racist impersonations from the NRL guy were way worse. They were racist jokes made to put down indigenous people. Agree Eddie stuffed with racist comments, up but it was unintentional. I wouldn't normally try to justify this stuff, however because you have, I will say this the comments from all of the AFL supporters/eddie could all be applied to anyone with the words ape "hairy man" or big strong man and the other supporter talking about umpire bias (poorly) and eddies comments promoting king kong were bad but not intentional. Im going to leave it at that because I feel it is almost impossible to say to much and not be judged.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

piesman2011 wrote:
Rabbit wrote:

I would have thought that the racist impersonations from the NRL guy were way worse. They were racist jokes made to put down indigenous people. Agree Eddie stuffed with racist comments, up but it was unintentional. I wouldn't normally try to justify this stuff, however because you have, I will say this the comments from all of the AFL supporters/eddie could all be applied to anyone with the words ape "hairy man" or big strong man and the other supporter talking about umpire bias (poorly) and eddies comments promoting king kong were bad but not intentional. Im going to leave it at that because I feel it is almost impossible to say to much and not be judged.

yes but you're a fuckstick

unintentional :lol: :lol: :lol:
FMD

hes a racist shit for brains like the majority in that sport
hes been caught before generalising with racist remarks about the people of western Sydney
how fucking dumb to even go near Goodes after what happened just a few days ago
blithering wombats abound in this embarrassment of a sport [-X [-X [-( [-(
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
piesman2011
Coach
Coach

Post by piesman2011 »

Raiderdave wrote:
piesman2011 wrote:
Rabbit wrote:

yes but you're a fuckstick

unintentional :lol: :lol: :lol:
FMD

hes a racist shit for brains like the majority in that sport
hes been caught before generalising with racist remarks about the people of western Sydney
how fucking dumb to even go near Goodes after what happened just a few days ago
blithering wombats abound in this embarrassment of a sport [-X [-X [-( [-(
You have no idea Eddie was the first to see goodes after the incident. To apologise on behalf of the cfc. Talk all you want but until you actually know all the facts and perhaps In your case get an education your just talking bs like you always do.
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels

Post by eelofwest »

I imagine this is what AFL fans and AFL HQ look like once there racist culture has been shown to the world.

Who concurs with me???????????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stewie
Coach
Coach
Team: Port Adelaide Football Club

Post by Stewie »

Raiderdave wrote:

7K is a tremendous turnout
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Post by Xman »

Eddie is a loose canon. Classic foot in mouth comment #-o
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
pookus
Seniors
Seniors
Team: North Melbourne

Post by pookus »

Time for this dickhead to go.He embarresses us all.Fuck off Eddie
Pete_09
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Brisbane Lions

Post by Pete_09 »

What he meant was Adam Goodes should come & help promote the play cause he has been such big news the last week & he could get more people to come to the play.

The only problem is the play was "King Kong" oooops!! If the play was say "Jersey Boys" I think he would have said the same thing, its just that it wasnt & now he has to pay the price
piesman2011
Coach
Coach

Post by piesman2011 »

Pete_09 wrote:
What he meant was Adam Goodes should come & help promote the play cause he has been such big news the last week & he could get more people to come to the play.

The only problem is the play was "King Kong" oooops!! If the play was say "Jersey Boys" I think he would have said the same thing, its just that it wasnt & now he has to pay the price
I cant really understand what he was thinking. May cost him the Collingwood presidency and his media career. There may be no recovery from this for him.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

Pete_09 wrote:

but but but

F me

heres a picture of the Collingdon board dealing with tis matter

racist filth [-X [-X [-( [-( [-(
wall to wall
tis the VFL
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million