Lions on the prowl

Australian Football news and discussion.
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Lions on the prowl

Post by crocodileman »

Being a Lions supporter I was really looking forward to last night's game and it certainly lived up to all expectations - a tough contest, high levels of skill, controversy and a relatively close contest.

Some highlights for me included:-

1. Jared Brennan's performance for the Lions with 4 goals. This guy is a freak and seems to be a perfect half forward. He is quick and tall with an incredible vertical leap. He's definately bulked up and will be a great asset for the Lions this year.

2. Aaron Hamill's elbow to the head of Scott - breaking his teeth. Wait for a report on this one, but to Scott's credit, he didn't stay down got up and continued niggling. These 2 were at each others throats all night and it provided a great viewing contest.

3. The Nick Reiwoldt affair. He got smashed, hurt his shoulder trying to mark a ball and on his way off the ground got hammered (shoulder charged) by Scott and Mal Michael on 3 occasions just to rub salt into the wounds. Riewoldt then was shown sitting in the stand, shoulder in a sling crying like a baby! It seems his shoulder injury is very bad and he may be out for 3 months at least. Stand by for an AFL investigation into Scott and Michael's conduct, although personally, I thought it was within the rules if not morally inappropriate.

A great start to the AFL season in front of a sell-out crowd (The broncos must be nervous) and much more to come!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Sadly I missed the game last night, but gees it looked like a great game. Particularly funny seeing highlights on the news with Reiwoldt crying. Nothing wrong with what Mal Michael and Scott did I would have thought. Ahh the footy is back. :D
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Lions on the prowl

Post by King-Eliagh »

crocodileman wrote:
3. The Nick Reiwoldt affair. He got smashed, hurt his shoulder trying to mark a ball and on his way off the ground got hammered (shoulder charged) by Scott and Mal Michael on 3 occasions just to rub salt into the wounds. Riewoldt then was shown sitting in the stand, shoulder in a sling crying like a baby!
I also missed the game but saw the highlights of this affair. Croc if you think Scott and and Mal Michael "hammered" Reiwoldt on the way off the ground you have to be deluded. They were very soft shoulder charges/nudges when one compares it to League. Its definitely not a 'tough' game, skillful maybe but tough no. Reiwoldt crying in the stands :lol: was classic, another example of the stereotype 'soft' AFL player. I couldnt stop laughing when he was crying :lol: :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

KE - I don't think any league player with a broken shoulder or collarbone would have to endure opposition players coming over and shoulder charging it as he was leaving the ground - no, the game keeps going in AFL without fanfare or stoppage.

In your so-called tough rugby league, such an injury may result in the whole game stopped, doctors, trainers and medical staff running on the field and a medi-vac unit coming on the ground to ensure the player's arm was immobilised.

Who's deluded? :lol:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Lions on the prowl

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
I also missed the game but saw the highlights of this affair. Croc if you think Scott and and Mal Michael "hammered" Reiwoldt on the way off the ground you have to be deluded. They were very soft shoulder charges/nudges when one compares it to League. Its definitely not a 'tough' game, skillful maybe but tough no. Reiwoldt crying in the stands :lol: was classic, another example of the stereotype 'soft' AFL player. I couldnt stop laughing when he was crying :lol: :lol:
What would you know about a 'tough' game? You'd be snapped in half out there twiggy stick.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

The whole incident was pathetic really and I dont see why you are hamming it up here croc. Those cheap shots were little nudges as i said but players doing that to an injured player as they walk off deserve the same punishment Hopoate recieved. League players show more respect. If a player is injured you will never see players giving cheap shots while they are walking off, infact if you did there'd be an all in brawl for sure, no two ways about it. Where were Reiwoldts pussy team mates??? Disgusting stuff really, I guess they were too frightened to stick up for him. And then lets not forget the crying in the stands :lol: :lol: :lol: . Reiwoldt you should be living at home having your mum packing your lunches and combing your hair :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now croc as for the game being stopped in league, this would occur only if the player is in a position that would affect the game. Also there have been many instances where a player doesnt leave the field and have a cry but continues playing, with broken collarbones and worse. League is tougher croc you know this.

I still cant believe a fight, or atleast one of those melees where they dance around like a bunch of teenage girls for awhile didnt result from the cheap shots on fri night. Man StKilda players need to take off thier friggin skirts and blouses, stop their crying to mummy dearest and grow some balls, like all league players do at age 14. :lol:

xman wrote:
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

KE, Riewoldt was not leaving the ground when he got the bumps from Michael and Scott - he was running back to position to play on. There was no trainer around him, he ushered him off earlier and was trying to play on. Therefore, even though you could argue that they should have left him alone, it wasn't outside the rules to bump him.

Also, your statement about the game being stopped in League only if the injured player is in a position to interfere with play is not correct. Regardless as to where the injured player is in league, if a trainer puts his hand up to indicate to the referee that the player is seriously injured, then the game stops no matter where the ball is - I've seen it dozens of time last year. They have no choice. Most trainers would consider a broken shoulder a serious injury that could be further harmed by walking/assisting a player off the field. They would be instructed that the correct method is to immobilise the area, requiring a sling (and a doctor!)

Clearly this injury would have led to a stoppage in Rugby League, unless of course the player is stupid enough to act contrary to medical advice.

I'm not saying that Rugby League players aren't tough, but you're claiming AFL players aren't. Today, Riewoldt is under general anaesetic having a titanium plate inserted in his broken shoulder. Again, can you tell me how painful it would have been with such an injury to have someone touching it, no less bumping into it?

Mal Michael is bigger than most league players - he is about 6 feet 7 inches tall and over 105 kg. Those bumps were not soft.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I tend to disagree here croc. I may be wrong but I feel most trainers wouldn't feel the need to stop a game for a broken collarbone. I've seen players walk off the field with dislocated shoulders, which is a far worse, and for that matter far more painful injury. Immobilisation is something that occurs off the field unless there is concern for a spinal injury. Then obviously one has to call for the medicab.

Now can you defend Reiwoldts team 'mates' for not sticking up for him? Just disgusting!

Also I'd place money on those shots being not even half as hard as what Sattler endured with a broken jaw whilst playing on. Mal Michael is a pussy, there's nothign more to it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

xman wrote: