Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Re: the VFL caught out on their GF TV ratings

Post by pussycat »

Xman wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
pussycat wrote:
I suggest you go back and find out what were talking about!

Ch7 have , this year, started using this coding method for regular season matches , hence the large increase in your ratings this year.
Again I ask, what is wrong with that? Channel 9 as you've admitted does the same for the NRL. Gives a more accurate picture of the viewer numbers I would have thought?
What the stupid feline is doing is using the fact that the ch7 split the telecast into pre, post and main game sections, to maximise ratings, as the major reason the AFL have seen such a big rise in ratings this year. :roll:

He is not claiming the current ratings are incorrect, just that this years rise is not as substantial as we are led to believe. I would suggest to him then that the afl ratings must have been under counted in previous years making all the previous victories claimed by the NRL via Roy masters a farce. Thanks pussy! :lol:

He is conveniently ignoring the fact oztam clearly stated ch7 were already splitting the telecast last year, but just calling the post match stuff a different name :roll:

So he is ignoring the fact the increase in ratings are because the afl games are now live and shown at 7.30pm, and is trying to claim the increase is for a reason that already existed last year :lol:

He's lost all credibility on this one :roll:

As I said , the person wrote the email was a research analsis not a complete moron.
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Post by Xman »

You mean when she said:

"they also have a ‘Post Match’ program but last year they had a comparable ‘After the Game’ program)"?

Or when she said?

"Matches in Sydney and Brisbane are now live on 7mate, rather than airing in a late night timeslot on 7."

:roll:

The increase in ratings is due to:
- live games
- games at 7.30
- the game finishing before 11pm
- a reasonable delay into Perth rather than 3 hrs!
- live games on FN to Sydney and Brisbane

Suggesting that the increase is due to splitting the telecast into rating sections is garbage because the post match section already existed last year. Yes the pre game section is new but if that was the cause we would have seen a similar increase when the post game section was introduced.

You're wrong and you know it.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

wow

the banshees haven't stopped their screaming & feet stamping yet ?

suck it up guys
you've been caught out fudging it up big time .....

VFL Fudgey Fudgey ...... VFL naughty naughty [-X [-X [-X [-X
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Raiderdave wrote:
wow

the banshees haven't stopped their screaming & feet stamping yet ?

suck it up guys
you've been caught out fudging it up big time .....

VFL Fudgey Fudgey ...... VFL naughty naughty [-X [-X [-X [-X
:lol: :lol:

Dave, that's even stupid for you! Ch9 do it too!
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

I can understand how you people must feel, when I found out Santa wasnt real I was just devastated.

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

pussycat wrote:
I can understand how you people must feel, when I found out Santa wasnt real I was just devastated.
Stop being a stupid troll. Explain your logic first. Where did the oztam lady say the increase in AFL ratings weren't real? :-k

Until you're willing to make sense about the matter dont expect to be taken seriously. Until you acknowledge the program was split last year you're just trolling like Raiderdave.

How about answering some questions: are the current ratings real? If not, why? If so, were they under counted previously?
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

I explained it, to the best of my knowledge, several pages back.

It not me who's provided this information but someone with no axe to grind, someone from Oztam telling you the cold hard facts.

"The way in which Channel 7 codes the AFL matches in terms of ratings has changed; they now separate a ‘Pre Match’ [match] ‘Post Match’ program ... Splitting events in this way can help maximize ratings for the main event."

suprise, surprise your ratings this year are up 25%. :wink:

Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

pussycat wrote:
I explained it, to the best of my knowledge, several pages back.

It not me who's provided this information but someone with no axe to grind, someone from Oztam telling you the cold hard facts.

"The way in which Channel 7 codes the AFL matches in terms of ratings has changed; they now separate a ‘Pre Match’ [match] ‘Post Match’ program ... Splitting events in this way can help maximize ratings for the main event."

suprise, surprise your ratings this year are up 25%. :wink:
she never claimed the increase was caused by this change. :roll: she even gave you another reason too.

So then tell me this, why didnt we see a similar increase in ratings when ch7 split the telecast a few years ago when they introduced an after game section? Surely if splitting the telecast caused such a significant increase we would have seen a similar rise before?

Also, if the current ratings are correct, and not due to an increase in viewers, then the AFL ratings for previous years have been under counted.

You are reading into her response. She never claimed what you are claiming.
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

I cant tell you anything other than what she said : 'they have changed' , 'they now' and this was in reponse to my question , why had the AFL's rating increased so much this year. Like I said she was an anayst not a moron so when she answered she wouldy hardly tell me abut changes in previous years.

The AFL have pre and post match. ie 'comparable to last year' only this year they code them differently.

- A SYSTEM THAT MAXIMISES RATINGS -

Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

pussycat wrote:
I cant tell you anything other than what she said : 'they have changed' , 'they now' and this was in reponse to my question , why had the AFL's rating increased so much this year. Like I said she was an anayst not a moron so when she answered she wouldy hardly tell me abut changes in previous years.

The AFL have pre and post match. ie 'comparable to last year' only this year they code them differently.

- A SYSTEM THAT MAXIMISES RATINGS -
That isn't what she said at all :roll:

She said they code them differently this year because they have now included a pre game section in addition to the post game section they had last year. The post game section this year is the same, just called a different name.

So this year they have 3 different game sections, last year they had 2. Got it?

Why did they change? Well, when they went to live games for this season they held back the start of the game until 7:50pm to bring the game closer to live for Perth and Adelaide. This means the first 20 minutes of the telecast aren't the game, they're pre game analysis. Last year the games started at 7:40pm and the delayed telecast started at 8:40pm with only 10minutes of pre analysis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_AFL_season
Friday night matches began at 7:50pm EST instead of 7:40pm, or 8:40pm EST when played in Western Australia.
So, given they already had the post game section, you're claiming they have had a massive increase in ratings this year because they're now excluding 10 minutes of pre game analysis compared to last year? You're completely off your rocker! :roll:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Ok, I emailed Oztam myself this afternoon:
I am an AFL fan and have been very impressed with the AFL's increase in TV ratings this year. However there have been some suggestions that this increase is not genuine and is the result of a change in the way the ratings are recorded for AFL matches this year.

Can you give an opinion as to why you believe the AFL TV ratings have improved this year?

Are the TV ratings for AFL games calculated or counted in a different way this year compared to last year?

Many thanks for your help on this matter.
Here is the response from oztam word for word:

Thank you for your query. There are several factors which can impact television ratings; competitive programming, world/news events, weather and in terms of sport, the performance of teams in the competition. (For example, Sydney being in the Grand Final meant more people in Sydney watched than would have otherwise).

There were a few changes in terms of AFL coverage in 2012. In terms of Channel 7’s Friday Night AFL coverage, in 2012 the matches were live into Melbourne and Adelaide (games in Perth aired at the same time as in Adelaide) and therefore aired at least an hour earlier than they did in 2011.
Also, the way in which Channel 7 coded the AFL matches in terms of ratings also changed; in 2012 they separated a ‘Pre Match’ program from the match itself (they also had a ‘Post Match’ program but last year they had a comparable ‘After the Game’ program).

The games were also simulcast on FOX Footy in 2012 for the first time.

I hope you find this information useful.

Thanks
Jacinta

Jacinta Flesch
Research Analyst
OzTAM Pty Ltd
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

So I think this puts your theory in perspective puddysplat.

She gave many reasons for an increase in AFL ratings, including live coverage, earlier coverage, and fox simulcast, and lastly mentioned the different coding. She explained this coding exactly as I said; 3 sections this year (pre, game, post) instead of 2 (game, post) last year. This change only effects the first 10 minutes of the broadcast compared to last year and would have minimal influence if any on a 3 hr program, and nothing like the increases we have seen.

:wink:
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Just received confirmation that Ch 9 does not use this system for there NRL matches.

Bottom line:- with all the better coverage the AFL got this year, at best, would account for a 10% rise. less than half what your new coding system would have bought.

This practice seems to be gathering momentum in the TV industry. C7 have introduces it in the first year of there new contract , expect Ch9 to follow suit. When we compete on level playing field then we will sort out the contenders from the pretenders. :wink:

Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

pussycat wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gold

:lol: :lol:
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

pussycat wrote:
Just received confirmation that Ch 9 does not use this system for there NRL matches.

Bottom line:- with all the better coverage the AFL got this year, at best, would account for a 10% rise. less than half what your new coding system would have bought.

This practice seems to be gathering momentum in the TV industry. C7 have introduces it in the first year of there new contract , expect Ch9 to follow suit. When we compete on level playing field then we will sort out the contenders from the pretenders. :wink:
Well they do, for finals. So does that mean NRL finals aren't really an increase ratings on regular NRL games because the increase is only really due to the change in coding? :roll:

As for level playing field, hmmm a 2 hr game v 3 hr game. The broncos every fn v mostly Mel v Mel teams. The combination of two games v the AFLs one. :roll: Yeah, real level playing field.

Hilarious stuff though puddy, suggesting the reason for the AFLs increased ratings is caused by separating 10 minutes of pre game vision from a 2.5 hr game, and not live and earlier footy. :lol: :lol: :lol: