Harsh Reality for NRL

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Harsh Reality for NRL

Post by Beaussie »

According to Business Reveiw Weekly, the NRL just isn't in the same league as the AFL and its clubs when it comes to the "economic health of the major football codes".

The best the NRL can boast about is the Broncos who have been valued at $14 million (Collingwood as the best in the AFL are valued at $42 million). How about Manly being valued at just $5 million? National Rugby League my arse. :(/
Fox Sports wrote:
Pies head footy's rich list
By Trevor Grant
March 11, 2005
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,86 ... 11,00.html

COLLINGWOOD, a financial basket case six years ago, has been acclaimed as the most valuable football club in Australia.

In an in-depth examination of the economic health of the nation's major football codes, national business magazine BRW put the Magpies' value at $42 million.

The Magpies were assessed to be worth $7 million more than the second-placed duo of Brisbane Lions and West Coast and $15 million more valuable than Essendon.

Hawthorn, whose financial state was under question during its off-season board battle, is the No.2 Victorian club on the list. It comes in at fourth at $33 million, four places above Essendon, which has long been regarded as one of the economic powerhouses of the competition.

The stunning decline of Carlton, off and on the field, is highlighted by its lowly 14th placing. The Blues are valued at $21 million, exactly half of the Magpies.

Another ex-member of the Victorian "big-four", Richmond is even lower, at $19 million, and in last place on the BRW ladder.

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire said yesterday while the club's financial health was a source of pride and satisfaction, there were no illusions about the major objective.

"In the end, premierships are what it is all about," he said.

When McGuire took over the Collingwood presidency in October 1998, he said the club was so bereft of money and business acumen that he feared it could go the way of Fitzroy by 2010.

However, through the collective skills of the new breed of administrators McGuire assembled at the club, as well as his own entrepreneurial flair, the Magpies have managed not only to avoid this doomsday prospect, but to prosper so much that they have become a model of fiscal well-being.

"What we've tried to do is make Collingwood the club we, in our hearts, knew it should always have been," McGuire said.

"We believe if you do enough things right for long enough, hopefully, you'll get the ultimate reward," McGuire said.

"It's an interesting question whether you'd give up half your value for a flag. I reckon if we did win, we'd double our value in two minutes so it would be a good investment."

Collingwood has posted accumulated profits of about $6 million in the past three years and, with a new home base near the city and new facilities at the revamped MCG, it appears poised to continue its financial resurrection.

However, McGuire warned that a successful 2005 was critical, especially after last year's slump to 13th.

"On the financial side, my ambition has always been to make a profit regardless of where we are on the ladder," he said. "These days we do make multi-million dollar profits, but the equation is the same. If we have a good season we'll kill them (financially). If we have another bad season it will turn pear-shaped."

Essendon chief executive, Peter Jackson, said yesterday he could not treat seriously a valuation that put his club $15 million below Collingwood, and $6 million behind Hawthorn.

"We have net assets up around the $14 million mark, which, I would say, is way ahead of any club in the competition. We have also made a profit in every year for the past nine. I don't think any other Victorian club has done that," he said.

"It sounds to me they have used a pretty narrow perspective in their attempt at valuation. And it's pretty ridiculous, in one sense, when you are operating in an equalised environment with the AFL controlling every thing you do."

NRL clubs were valued way below AFL clubs. The top club was Brisbane Broncos, at $14 million, while the lowest was Manly-Warringah at $5 million,
Onions
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Onions »

And I'll bet this hasn't changed in six fucking years!!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

The gap between the AFL and the NRL has just widened Onions. :P
Onions

Post by Onions »

Gee I wonder why? Fucking classic! Maybe it's all the fucking one arm bandits they rely on!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Onions wrote:
Gee I wonder why? ******* classic! Maybe it's all the ******* one arm bandits they rely on!
You know throwball is in serious trouble when pokie reforms and taxes threaten to destroy their entire code according to their CEO and club officials.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
It'll be closed massively when we pocket a billion plus for our TV rights next year :wink: :cool:
Onions

Post by Onions »

You'll get nowhere near a fucking million because you don't deserve it!
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Onions wrote:
You'll get nowhere near a ******* million because you don't deserve it!

a million 8-[
geez... if we don't get a million we will be in strife :wink: :_<> :(/ :_<>
Onions

Post by Onions »

Too fucking right.....oh shit I agreed with him again!! :rock:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Raiderdave wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
It'll be closed massively when we pocket a billion plus for our TV rights next year :wink: :cool:
Keep dreaming. You throwball fans are hilarious. Delusional and hilarious I might add. :(/
Onions

Post by Onions »

Fucking embarassing as well!
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
Keep dreaming. You throwball fans are hilarious. Delusional and hilarious I might add. :(/
it'll be a nightmare for you :wink:
Onions

Post by Onions »

No the fucking nightmares are coming your way, kid!