Soccer v Footy

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Re: Soccer v Footy

Post by Xman »

pookus wrote:
Striker wrote:
I think there's one thing we all agree on. Soccer is $hit!!
Only game in the world where they seperate the fans while the palyers walk out holding hands.Bizarre.
:lol: :lol: well said
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
VickyKicky
Team: Mars

Post by VickyKicky »

pookus wrote:
Striker wrote:
Only game in the world where they seperate the fans while the palyers walk out holding hands.Bizarre.
WTF are you on with? not sure if you know that your talking about, you actually seen Real Madrid holding hands with Barcelona or is it one of your fantasies :lol: hey what ever floats your boat sailor.

But if you want bizzare, how about 2 teams who were the such similar colours snobody can tell them apart. You'd think a professional sport would have sorted this out in the beginning of the last century! step forward Essensdon vs Melbourne, now thats bizzare.
VickyKicky

Post by VickyKicky »

Xman wrote:
VickyKicky wrote:
58shark wrote:
Three things in life I dare you to do. 1. Watch grass grow 2. Watch paint dry 3. Watch a game of soccer. You may need to break the soccer match up with a bit of grass and paint watching - just to make sure you actually get a bit of excitement!!!!
Just tried it and I've gotta say watching football was far more interesting but thanks for the advice!

So just to reciprocate, here are three things I dare you to do. 1. Ask yourself why in your beloved code, the two best paid players had never even played a competitive game of aussie rules before they were signed to play in the AFL 2. Ask yourself how much respect this would generate in the eyes of the wider sporting public 3. Ask yourself how much disrespect the signing of these 2 former NRL players had to those who actually love the code of aussie rules. You do realise that there are 2 potential AFL players, who are being denied a career because the AFL put marketing above playing ability.
1. Its called marketing. They are paid minimal wage to play and a great deal of money for marketing duties outside their playing requirements.
2. It created, and continues to create, substantial media interest which is easy to measure. How do you measure respect?
3. Barely any. Every AFL fan knows they are paid a modest fee to play, and a substantial fee to promote the game into new expansion markets.
4. K Hunt is in the top 18 players on the suns list. He's earned his spot. Izzy is still very young in ears and experience and has a lot further to go. But his performances have been similar to other first year key position players. They usually take 4-5 years in the system to begin to produce results.
I admire your defence Xman, but if you and the AFL really want marketing that'll change everything how about you advise Vlad of an Australian citizen I know who will put your sport on every newspaper around the world. This person has never played a competitive game of aussie rules, like Khunt and Izzy, but for sure his marketing value is on another planet.. only trouble is he's currently stuck in the Ecuadorian embassy in London, but give him 4-5 years in the AFL system and I can see Julian Assange as a future Brownlow medalist :mrgreen:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

VickyKicky wrote:
Xman wrote:
VickyKicky wrote:
Just tried it and I've gotta say watching football was far more interesting but thanks for the advice!

So just to reciprocate, here are three things I dare you to do. 1. Ask yourself why in your beloved code, the two best paid players had never even played a competitive game of aussie rules before they were signed to play in the AFL 2. Ask yourself how much respect this would generate in the eyes of the wider sporting public 3. Ask yourself how much disrespect the signing of these 2 former NRL players had to those who actually love the code of aussie rules. You do realise that there are 2 potential AFL players, who are being denied a career because the AFL put marketing above playing ability.
1. Its called marketing. They are paid minimal wage to play and a great deal of money for marketing duties outside their playing requirements.
2. It created, and continues to create, substantial media interest which is easy to measure. How do you measure respect?
3. Barely any. Every AFL fan knows they are paid a modest fee to play, and a substantial fee to promote the game into new expansion markets.
4. K Hunt is in the top 18 players on the suns list. He's earned his spot. Izzy is still very young in ears and experience and has a lot further to go. But his performances have been similar to other first year key position players. They usually take 4-5 years in the system to begin to produce results.
I admire your defence Xman, but if you and the AFL really want marketing that'll change everything how about you advise Vlad of an Australian citizen I know who will put your sport on every newspaper around the world. This person has never played a competitive game of aussie rules, like Khunt and Izzy, but for sure his marketing value is on another planet.. only trouble is he's currently stuck in the Ecuadorian embassy in London, but give him 4-5 years in the AFL system and I can see Julian Assange as a future Brownlow medalist :mrgreen:
They targeted the market they were expanding in to. :roll:
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
VickyKicky

Post by VickyKicky »

Xman wrote:
So what does that say about your code, are you telling me that it doesn't disrespect those who love aussie rules? hardly a ringing endorsement that you place marketing above ability, surely if the game was good enough, it wouldn't need these gimmicks.
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

VickyKicky wrote:
Xman wrote:
So what does that say about your code, are you telling me that it doesn't disrespect those who love aussie rules? hardly a ringing endorsement that you place marketing above ability, surely if the game was good enough, it wouldn't need these gimmicks.
NSW and QLD are extremely competitive sporting markets. Recruiting these players paid for itself in the media coverage theyve received alone.

Im not sure how it disrespects those who love ARs. These players are paid modestly for their footy but well for their marketing. Everyone understands that except people like you who are making it out to be something its not. :roll:
Striker
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Storm

Post by Striker »

VickyKicky wrote:
Striker wrote:
Each to their own, but I'm sure the worlds most popular sport can just about live without your support.
I'll never understand how anyone can find soccer so great. It's the drizzling $hits! Actors are rewarded instead of penalised, nil all draws left right and centre. I'd rather spend 90 minutes in a freezer than watching that snorefest!

World's most popular sport it is, and I'll never understand why when there's a lot more MEN playing a real man's game like league.
VickyKicky

Post by VickyKicky »

Xman wrote:
NSW and QLD are extremely competitive sporting markets. Recruiting these players paid for itself in the media coverage theyve received alone.

Im not sure how it disrespects those who love ARs. These players are paid modestly for their footy but well for their marketing. Everyone understands that except people like you who are making it out to be something its not. :roll:
So your basically saying a marketing gimmick truimphs over sporting ability in your chosen code. 2 players who had no love for the code, never played it competitively, didn't come through the ranks of any aussie rules coaching, yet are earning massive pay (and know I don't blame for that) earning a living as AFL pros ahead of those who have much more ability in their respective positions. Thats a massive disrespect, for any code, to say that media coverage is more important than sporting merit makes a mockery of the sport itself, which is why aussie rules lovers should cringe at the sheer mention of Khunt and Izzy.
VickyKicky

Post by VickyKicky »

Striker wrote:
VickyKicky wrote:
Striker wrote:
Each to their own, but I'm sure the worlds most popular sport can just about live without your support.
I'll never understand how anyone can find soccer so great. It's the drizzling $hits! Actors are rewarded instead of penalised, nil all draws left right and centre. I'd rather spend 90 minutes in a freezer than watching that snorefest!

World's most popular sport it is, and I'll never understand why when there's a lot more MEN playing a real man's game like league.
Why don't you just google real men, I'm sure you'll find some sites which should interest you :D
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

VickyKicky wrote:
Striker wrote:
VickyKicky wrote:

Why don't you just google real men, I'm sure you'll find some sites which should interest you :D
why dont you recommend a few of YOUR personal favorites? :-k :lol:
VickyKicky

Post by VickyKicky »

Xman wrote:
VickyKicky wrote:
Striker wrote:

http://www.afl.com.au/

That should satisfy you :lol:
Striker
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Storm

Post by Striker »

VickyKicky wrote:
Xman wrote:
VickyKicky wrote:
http://www.afl.com.au/

That should satisfy you :lol:
Freaking nick off! The real men are here;

http://www.nrl.com.au