Titans admit defeat in battle with Suns

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
User avatar
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9921
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:38 pm
Team: Sydney Swans
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 232 times
Been liked: 51 times

Titans admit defeat in battle with Suns

Post by Beaussie »

Bout time the arrogant merkins admitted they could not win the war on the Gold Coast. Olive branch now offered to the Suns. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Add to that free memberships for any kid on the Gold Coast. Talk about desperate times Titans... $25 million in debt as well. Will the NRL grant get them out of that???

Pffttt :(/ :(/ :(/
Gold Coast Titans offer olive branch to AFL neighbours Gold Coast Suns over scheduling clashes
By Laine Clark
AAP
August 22, 20124:25PM

A day after the NRL hoped to have struck a blow in the cross-code battle with their $1.025 billion TV rights deal, Gold Coast Titans offered an olive branch to AFL club Gold Coast Suns over their local turf war.

Titans chief executive David May says he has already begun peace talks with the Suns to avoid future cross-code home game clashes after the new broadcast deal ensured fixed scheduling for the 2013 NRL season's first 20 rounds.

"I would like to see both clubs working together," May said.

"I have had a brief chat with the guys over there (Suns). It's not a secret that if we both play at the same time we are not going to get the crowds that we want."

May addressed the media on the Gold Coast on Wednesday to spruik news that they would reduce membership prices "across the board" next year after average home crowds dropped to 14,000 in 2012.

The Titans' financial plight is well documented - May took over from ex-boss Michael Searle barely three weeks ago with a new board set to deal with their $25 million debt.

But May said the Suns' impact on the tourist strip had nothing to do with the new membership cuts he claimed "nobody else had done before" in the NRL.

"We spoke to our supporters and this was the message - they want to come but the economic constraints are proving difficult for them," May said.

"We are not competing with them (Suns) for memberships. We are trying to do the best for our members.

"We don't need membership to go up. We want membership to go up."

May said their current 14,000 home crowd average was "on the bottom end" of their expectations.

"I would like to see 20,000 ... the membership part of that is real important so we are doing what we can to influence that," he said.

May also said he did not have a problem with Channel Nine's preference for Brisbane to play the majority of Friday night games under the new TV rights deal because they sell best in Queensland.

Titans' Friday night games have slumped from 11 in 2010 to seven this year.

"I think Friday night is a double-edged sword. I think it is great for some games but not helpful for others," May said.

"For example we had the Broncos on a Friday night - if we had it here on a Sunday we would have had 28,000 people.

"You have to balance out the TV audience with the people who want to come to the game.

"We wouldn't mind a few more Friday night games. I think we will get our share because our team looks a very good prospect next year."

Under the new TV deal, NRL clubs will receive a larger grant from the ARLC next year but May was coy when asked how much he would like to see.

"Until the collective bargaining agreement is signed we won't know what it (TV deal) means for us, but it will be a significant improvement on this year which is great," he said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl- ... 6455947954
User avatar
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Posts: 2717
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:15 pm
Team: Eels
Location:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Titans admit defeat in battle with Suns

Post by eelofwest »

Beaussie wrote:
Bout time the arrogant merkins admitted they could not win the war on the Gold Coast. Olive branch now offered to the Suns. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Add to that free memberships for any kid on the Gold Coast. Talk about desperate times Titans... $25 million in debt as well. Will the NRL grant get them out of that???

Pffttt :(/ :(/ :(/
Gold Coast Titans offer olive branch to AFL neighbours Gold Coast Suns over scheduling clashes
By Laine Clark
AAP
August 22, 20124:25PM

A day after the NRL hoped to have struck a blow in the cross-code battle with their $1.025 billion TV rights deal, Gold Coast Titans offered an olive branch to AFL club Gold Coast Suns over their local turf war.

Titans chief executive David May says he has already begun peace talks with the Suns to avoid future cross-code home game clashes after the new broadcast deal ensured fixed scheduling for the 2013 NRL season's first 20 rounds.

"I would like to see both clubs working together," May said.

"I have had a brief chat with the guys over there (Suns). It's not a secret that if we both play at the same time we are not going to get the crowds that we want."

May addressed the media on the Gold Coast on Wednesday to spruik news that they would reduce membership prices "across the board" next year after average home crowds dropped to 14,000 in 2012.

The Titans' financial plight is well documented - May took over from ex-boss Michael Searle barely three weeks ago with a new board set to deal with their $25 million debt.

But May said the Suns' impact on the tourist strip had nothing to do with the new membership cuts he claimed "nobody else had done before" in the NRL.

"We spoke to our supporters and this was the message - they want to come but the economic constraints are proving difficult for them," May said.

"We are not competing with them (Suns) for memberships. We are trying to do the best for our members.

"We don't need membership to go up. We want membership to go up."

May said their current 14,000 home crowd average was "on the bottom end" of their expectations.

"I would like to see 20,000 ... the membership part of that is real important so we are doing what we can to influence that," he said.

May also said he did not have a problem with Channel Nine's preference for Brisbane to play the majority of Friday night games under the new TV rights deal because they sell best in Queensland.

Titans' Friday night games have slumped from 11 in 2010 to seven this year.

"I think Friday night is a double-edged sword. I think it is great for some games but not helpful for others," May said.

"For example we had the Broncos on a Friday night - if we had it here on a Sunday we would have had 28,000 people.

"You have to balance out the TV audience with the people who want to come to the game.

"We wouldn't mind a few more Friday night games. I think we will get our share because our team looks a very good prospect next year."

Under the new TV deal, NRL clubs will receive a larger grant from the ARLC next year but May was coy when asked how much he would like to see.

"Until the collective bargaining agreement is signed we won't know what it (TV deal) means for us, but it will be a significant improvement on this year which is great," he said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl- ... 6455947954
Wait we just came into 1b and we have told the Titans to reduce ticket's and offer kids free entry. Its called smart business much like the AFL handing out free tickets on people's car windshields in western Sydney at NRL games.
Image
User avatar
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9921
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:38 pm
Team: Sydney Swans
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 232 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Titans admit defeat in battle with Suns

Post by Beaussie »

eelofwest wrote:
Wait we just came into 1b and we have told the Titans to reduce ticket's and offer kids free entry. Its called smart business much like the AFL handing out free tickets on people's car windshields in western Sydney at NRL games.
Um, you lot led by the fat merkin Searle wanted a war on the Gold Coast and now you realise you can't win and offer an olive branch to the Suns/AFL. We ought to tell you lot to get stuffed. We won the war on the Gold Coast last year. Things have just got worse for the Titans since. $25 million in debt, fudging crowd numbers, dwindling sponsorship and now... free memberships for any kid that wants one. Desperate times indeed. Can the ARLC fix it??? Good luck. :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Posts: 2717
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:15 pm
Team: Eels
Location:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Titans admit defeat in battle with Suns

Post by eelofwest »

Beaussie wrote:
eelofwest wrote:
Wait we just came into 1b and we have told the Titans to reduce ticket's and offer kids free entry. Its called smart business much like the AFL handing out free tickets on people's car windshields in western Sydney at NRL games.
Um, you lot led by the fat merkin Searle wanted a war on the Gold Coast and now you realise you can't win and offer an olive branch to the Suns/AFL. We ought to tell you lot to get stuffed. We won the war on the Gold Coast last year. Things have just got worse for the Titans since. $25 million in debt, fudging crowd numbers, dwindling sponsorship and now... free memberships for any kid that wants one. Desperate times indeed. Can the ARLC fix it??? Good luck. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mate the Suns are loosing a lot more money then the Titans Fact.

The titans Crowds are larger then GCS.

Titans will be the last team standing on the Coast.. =D>

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl ... 6417739977

Yes Titans way on top on the Goldcoast.
Image
User avatar
Xman
Coach
Coach
Posts: 13919
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:09 pm
Team: Essendon
Location:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Titans admit defeat in battle with Suns

Post by Xman »

eelofwest wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
eelofwest wrote:
Wait we just came into 1b and we have told the Titans to reduce ticket's and offer kids free entry. Its called smart business much like the AFL handing out free tickets on people's car windshields in western Sydney at NRL games.
Um, you lot led by the fat merkin Searle wanted a war on the Gold Coast and now you realise you can't win and offer an olive branch to the Suns/AFL. We ought to tell you lot to get stuffed. We won the war on the Gold Coast last year. Things have just got worse for the Titans since. $25 million in debt, fudging crowd numbers, dwindling sponsorship and now... free memberships for any kid that wants one. Desperate times indeed. Can the ARLC fix it??? Good luck. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mate the Suns are loosing a lot more money then the Titans Fact.

The titans Crowds are larger then GCS.

Titans will be the last team standing on the Coast.. =D>

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl ... 6417739977

Yes Titans way on top on the Goldcoast.
the AFL set the suns up with a staduium deal that makes them cash. The Titans are the money sink hole here.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
User avatar
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9921
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:38 pm
Team: Sydney Swans
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 232 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Titans admit defeat in battle with Suns

Post by Beaussie »

eelofwest wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
eelofwest wrote:
Wait we just came into 1b and we have told the Titans to reduce ticket's and offer kids free entry. Its called smart business much like the AFL handing out free tickets on people's car windshields in western Sydney at NRL games.
Um, you lot led by the fat merkin Searle wanted a war on the Gold Coast and now you realise you can't win and offer an olive branch to the Suns/AFL. We ought to tell you lot to get stuffed. We won the war on the Gold Coast last year. Things have just got worse for the Titans since. $25 million in debt, fudging crowd numbers, dwindling sponsorship and now... free memberships for any kid that wants one. Desperate times indeed. Can the ARLC fix it??? Good luck. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mate the Suns are loosing a lot more money then the Titans Fact.
The Suns are backed by a cashed up AFL. Unlike the debt ridden Titans, the Suns have nothing to worry about.
eelofwest wrote:
The titans Crowds are larger then GCS.
BS, crowd numbers are fudged as I have proven here based on the reports of Stadiums Queensland. Cease with the posting of rubbish please. :roll:
piesman2011
Coach
Coach
Posts: 2306
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:52 am
Team: Collingwood
Location:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Titans admit defeat in battle with Suns

Post by piesman2011 »

Damn the Titans beat the Suns average crowd this year by 500 people. With the Suns on top of the AFL ladder and them being around for the last 20 years, I guess this cant get any better..... oh wait.
piesman2011
Coach
Coach
Posts: 2306
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:52 am
Team: Collingwood
Location:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Titans admit defeat in battle with Suns

Post by piesman2011 »

Fact: The Suns have such a good stadium deal that they will make money with a average crowd of about 15000.
Fact: The Suns will easily beat the Titans crowd numbers over the next 5 years.
Fact: No AFL expansion team has ever folded.
Fact: The Titans have a bad stadium deal with overpriced tickets
Fact: Multiple NRL teams have folded when starting up on the Coast
Fact: The Titans are in a lot of debt
Fact: Nothing lasts forever
User avatar
cos789
Coach
Coach
Posts: 3284
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:43 pm
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman
Location:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Titans admit defeat in battle with Suns

Post by cos789 »

piesman2011 wrote:
Damn the Titans beat the Suns average crowd this year by 500 people. With the Suns on top of the AFL ladder and them being around for the last 20 years, I guess this cant get any better..... oh wait.
I expect a good crowd against Carlton.
Nice try Cos.
Pete_09
Seniors
Seniors
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:51 pm
Team: Brisbane Lions
Location:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Titans admit defeat in battle with Suns

Post by Pete_09 »

I think against carlton they will get about 18-20,000.

The problem is most of them will be carlton supporters
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 9498
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:52 am
Team: Parramatta
Location: Rugby League Heartland
Has thanked: 14 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Titans admit defeat in battle with Suns

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

PIESMAN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another flog full of shiit.
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
User avatar
Xman
Coach
Coach
Posts: 13919
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:09 pm
Team: Essendon
Location:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Titans admit defeat in battle with Suns

Post by Xman »

ParraEelsNRL wrote:
PIESMAN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another flog full of shiit.
Your typical retort, full of nothing
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 9498
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:52 am
Team: Parramatta
Location: Rugby League Heartland
Has thanked: 14 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Titans admit defeat in battle with Suns

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Of course, just like this thread.
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
enarelle
Seniors
Seniors
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:33 pm
Team:
Location:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Titans admit defeat in battle with Suns

Post by enarelle »

"Gold Coast has suffered the largest fall from 2011-12 - a whopping 30 per cent from an average of 19,169 to 13,484."

This little extract refers to the Suns and is part of a larger article talking about how 15 AFL clubs have had drops in crowds.

So tell me again how the Suns are winning the battle.
piesman2011
Coach
Coach
Posts: 2306
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:52 am
Team: Collingwood
Location:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Titans admit defeat in battle with Suns

Post by piesman2011 »

I guess you could argue that its not just about crowds its about financially viability. I expect the GC Suns crowd will pick up again next year when they win about 5-10 matches. They will make finals in 2014 or 2015.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], Bing [Bot] and 0 guests