The Kings Melbourne Report

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

The Kings Melbourne Report

Post by King-Eliagh »

Dearest Members,

Recently I took a trip to Melbourne with our illustrious administrator Beaussie and I thought it would be productive for some members to hear my experience and perhaps learn a thing or two at the same time. :) I visited with the sole intention of seeing a blockbuster AFL match at the G...and did I ever! :D

Now some of my RL loving compardres may be disappointed about what I say here but, as always, I will not shy away from the truth.

I watched 2 games during my visit. Geelong v Hawthorn and Sydney v Carlton. I also roamed around melbourne town meeting some of the locals. Here's the report.

Friday eve - pregame Hawthorn v Geelong

After arriving safe and sound we jumped the train and met many a footy fan on their way to the ground. There certainly was a buzz about town and I must say a big time AFL club match has a pregame atmosphere much stonger than an equivalent RL club match in sydney. There's just more folk out there getting to the game.

Friday eve - Matchtime Hawthorn v Geelong

Frist quarter: The atmosphere was electric although the game didnt quite match it with the hawthorn lads running round like lost toddlers looking for their mama, no clear direction or structure in their movement. Midway through the quarter a hawthorn fan decided to have a go at geelong fans, a tussle broke out and slanging continued for the next five minutes before security had to take the fool, hands waving like a hysterical mad woman, out of the ground. Funny, but distracting and dumb.

Rest of Game: During the half time break I watched with numerous other unfazed fans as police dragged another maniac fan into a paddywagon just outside the ground. In re to the game Hawthorn pulled back a massive quarter time deficit to take the lead just before the final siren in a ripping match. Low and behold though geelong had one more shot in them and a 50metre goal was kicked sailing through the posts as the siren sounded to win the game by a few. An absolute belter of a game which i was happy to see. Hawthorn fans on the other hand were a shocker and many discredited themselves kicking and punching seats as well as what sound like bashing walls on their way out. It was quite surreal the way they took losing. Many simply couldnt handle it and beaussie who was barracking for geelong on the night had to stop singing the geelong song for fear of, as he said "being bashed". A disturbing end to a ripping game.

Postmatch: After the match among meeting many folk, I met a staunch aussie rules supporter who said "the difference between melb and syd is the sporting culture, we've embraced RL". While RL was discussed on several occassions with other melbournites, not one suggested the code didnt have a place in the city.

Sydney v Carlton Prematch:
Again a fair bit of a buzz although less than before.

Matchtime:
We met a friend of beaussies living in melbounre at the ground who has always been a staunch AFL fan. However he has also taken to the melbourne storm with a passion, and had been to the game the night before, wearing all the team colours with his partnter. The game itself was fairly ordinary with the Swans always looking like winning and doing the job in the end. During the game a carlton fan sitting behind us didnt take kindly to some of the chants and sounds beaussies friend made. After hurling abuse and copping some back i vividly recall him looking at beaussies mate and saying "I'll tear you apart". A few minutes later the scumbag decided to throw chips at beaussies mate before being chucked out of the ground, his bleached blonde bimbo in tow. :lol: Again funny but a distraction.

Three things we can learn from this trip:

1. There really is no equal in RL to the atmosphere and buzz surrounding big matches in Melbourne
2. Melbournites, in general, have embraced Rugby LEague. There is no real hate of it like there is towards AFL in Sydney...
3. The AFL needs to put a lot of work into developing more appropriate behaviour in their fans. There's a lot of scumbags who have the kind of blind passion we see in TLPG and Xman. i.e. they cant handle it if something doesnt go their way and decide to act like two year old toddlers stamping their feet and having a big cry. I've never seen this sought of behaviour at RL matches where the fans are essentially 'tougher skinned' and are able to take losing and relate to opposition fans, better.

Yours in truth,
KE

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels
Been liked: 0

Re: The Kings Melbourne Report

Post by eelofwest »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Dearest Members,

Recently I took a trip to Melbourne with our illustrious administrator Beaussie and I thought it would be productive for some members to hear my experience and perhaps learn a thing or two at the same time. :) I visited with the sole intention of seeing a blockbuster AFL match at the G...and did I ever! :D

Now some of my RL loving compardres may be disappointed about what I say here but, as always, I will not shy away from the truth.

I watched 2 games during my visit. Geelong v Hawthorn and Sydney v Carlton. I also roamed around melbourne town meeting some of the locals. Here's the report.

Friday eve - pregame Hawthorn v Geelong

After arriving safe and sound we jumped the train and met many a footy fan on their way to the ground. There certainly was a buzz about town and I must say a big time AFL club match has a pregame atmosphere much stonger than an equivalent RL club match in sydney. There's just more folk out there getting to the game.

Friday eve - Matchtime Hawthorn v Geelong

Frist quarter: The atmosphere was electric although the game didnt quite match it with the hawthorn lads running round like lost toddlers looking for their mama, no clear direction or structure in their movement. Midway through the quarter a hawthorn fan decided to have a go at geelong fans, a tussle broke out and slanging continued for the next five minutes before security had to take the fool, hands waving like a hysterical mad woman, out of the ground. Funny, but distracting and dumb.

Rest of Game: During the half time break I watched with numerous other unfazed fans as police dragged another maniac fan into a paddywagon just outside the ground. In re to the game Hawthorn pulled back a massive quarter time deficit to take the lead just before the final siren in a ripping match. Low and behold though geelong had one more shot in them and a 50metre goal was kicked sailing through the posts as the siren sounded to win the game by a few. An absolute belter of a game which i was happy to see. Hawthorn fans on the other hand were a shocker and many discredited themselves kicking and punching seats as well as what sound like bashing walls on their way out. It was quite surreal the way they took losing. Many simply couldnt handle it and beaussie who was barracking for geelong on the night had to stop singing the geelong song for fear of, as he said "being bashed". A disturbing end to a ripping game.

Postmatch: After the match among meeting many folk, I met a staunch aussie rules supporter who said "the difference between melb and syd is the sporting culture, we've embraced RL". While RL was discussed on several occassions with other melbournites, not one suggested the code didnt have a place in the city.

Sydney v Carlton Prematch:
Again a fair bit of a buzz although less than before.

Matchtime:
We met a friend of beaussies living in melbounre at the ground who has always been a staunch AFL fan. However he has also taken to the melbourne storm with a passion, and had been to the game the night before, wearing all the team colours with his partnter. The game itself was fairly ordinary with the Swans always looking like winning and doing the job in the end. During the game a carlton fan sitting behind us didnt take kindly to some of the chants and sounds beaussies friend made. After hurling abuse and copping some back i vividly recall him looking at beaussies mate and saying "I'll tear you apart". A few minutes later the scumbag decided to throw chips at beaussies mate before being chucked out of the ground, his bleached blonde bimbo in tow. :lol: Again funny but a distraction.

Three things we can learn from this trip:

1. There really is no equal in RL to the atmosphere and buzz surrounding big matches in Melbourne
2. Melbournites, in general, have embraced Rugby LEague. There is no real hate of it like there is towards AFL in Sydney...
3. The AFL needs to put a lot of work into developing more appropriate behaviour in their fans. There's a lot of scumbags who have the kind of blind passion we see in TLPG and Xman. i.e. they cant handle it if something doesnt go their way and decide to act like two year old toddlers stamping their feet and having a big cry. I've never seen this sought of behaviour at RL matches where the fans are essentially 'tougher skinned' and are able to take losing and relate to opposition fans, better.

Yours in truth,
KE
Great insight there beassie and King. Point 3 really i am not surprised one bit..... :lol:

Would the atmosphere surrounding big games in Melbourne be similar to what Parra vs Canterbury had 70 odd thousand in 2009 King?
Last edited by eelofwest on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Two points to be made here. One - there is a big difference between embracement and acceptance/tolerance. What KE saw was the latter, not the former, and typical form of the greatest sporting city in Australia. Two - there is hate for it in Melbourne. Just not where you were sitting. In fact the ones who don't hate it and/or respect it are the same fans that you rightly called scumbags. The ones who like a fight.
King-Eliagh wrote:
3. The AFL needs to put a lot of work into developing more appropriate behaviour in their fans.
It's in hand as you saw yourself. Behave like a brat and you get thrown out. And don't lie - there's behaviour like that in NRL crowds as well. Whenever there is one team playing another in any sport and passionate supporters are there, it's going to attract the scumbags. And of course the best example is soccer. If KE thinks what he saw was the worst he's dreaming.

Yours in truth,
TLPG
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Its a really bad subculture within the AFL crowd thats causing the problems. And its not invisible either, in fact its quite prominent. I've been to heaps of RL games and this trip to melbourne shocked me. Some real scumbags in there. The AFL should address this issue as from what cabbies have told me in the past, its been around since the VFL days. RL crowds are much more cultured and good sports.

And in regards to your first point the melbournite i met said melbourne has "embraced" RL. While the storm crowds leave a lot to be desired the ORigin numbers were prolific. One in ten melbournites embraced RL in all its glory on those three nights. It'll take time because obviously marngrook is the number one sport and thats what the fans are consuming during the weekends, but this doesnt mean they havent warmly embraced the code :)

xman wrote:
eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Post by eelofwest »

TLPG wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:
Two points to be made here. One - there is a big difference between embracement and acceptance/tolerance. What KE saw was the latter, not the former, and typical form of the greatest sporting city in Australia. Two - there is hate for it in Melbourne. Just not where you were sitting. In fact the ones who don't hate it and/or respect it are the same fans that you rightly called scumbags. The ones who like a fight.
King-Eliagh wrote:
3. The AFL needs to put a lot of work into developing more appropriate behaviour in their fans.
It's in hand as you saw yourself. Behave like a brat and you get thrown out. And don't lie - there's behaviour like that in NRL crowds as well. Whenever there is one team playing another in any sport and passionate supporters are there, it's going to attract the scumbags. And of course the best example is soccer. If KE thinks what he saw was the worst he's dreaming.

Yours in truth,
TLPG
Are you speaking from exp with NRL games or you talking out your butt hole again? I have not seen bad behavior at NRL games for quite some time.

The Soccer just had another rite apparently between Sydney FC and the Wanderers trial game, that is were AFL and A league need to improve. NRL had these issues back in the Mid 90's. These sort of problems are well in control at NRL games.

Heck i was at the Parra vs Warriors game early in the season and a big group of about 15 guys all about mid 20's lined up for tickets, i could smell the alcohol from a mile away and so could security so they told the group to don't bother wasting your money they are not getting in..... :lol: :lol:

Point is NRL has measure's in place to stop trouble makers and it seems to be working a treat... :D Crowd behavior at NRL games is at a all time high imo.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

I am speaking from experience of crowds at many team sports, Eel. The AFL would do exactly what you told me about the NRL did at the gate. If you're drunk, you don't get in. The only reason NRL fans don't get caught is because they are thugs who hide it. And that's harder to do in smaller crowds! Also because the crowds are smaller it's easier to sit or stand amongst your own supporters and away from the opposition fans. But don't tell me it doesn't happen at all! I don't believe you.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

He asked whether you were speaking from experience of NRL games TLPG not "at many team sports". Clearly you're talking out of your butthole again.

Nice point there eels. He just speaks out his butt hole rather than experience most times...most times.

xman wrote:
piesman2011
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood

Post by piesman2011 »

Quite amusing story King. I enjoyed your insight.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

eels wrote:
Would the atmosphere surrounding big games in Melbourne be similar to what Parra vs Canterbury had 70 odd thousand in 2009 King?
This was a finals match right? I was in amsterdam for this match eels but even as I watched the game on my little computer online the atmosphere was ripping through the screen in that match. Even my pommy flatmate who much preferred union professed to seeing "what RL is all about" in this match. So i'd have to argue that that match prob had a more intense atmosphere than the hawthorn geelong matchup but my point was that the hawthorn geelong match was a regular season club match. Havent seen this sort of passion and enthusiasm in RL during the regular season unfortunately.

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Post by Xman »

I have been going to the footy regularly for many decades and have never been thrown out, saw some one near me thrown out, or witnessed any real violence in my area.

You were either very unlucky or hanging with trouble makers.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

King-Eliagh wrote:
He asked whether you were speaking from experience of NRL games TLPG not "at many team sports". Clearly you're talking out of your butthole again.
Team sport is team sport, idiot. Ignorance for convenience is your usual form.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Dogs
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Dogs »

Xman wrote:
I have been going to the footy regularly for many decades and have never been thrown out, saw some one near me thrown out, or witnessed any real violence in my area.

So you are suggesting Beaussie or his mates are trouble makers???
NRLCrap1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:28 am

NRLCrap1 says: Crowds don't mean squat,
eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Post by eelofwest »

King-Eliagh wrote:
eels wrote:
This was a finals match right? I was in amsterdam for this match eels but even as I watched the game on my little computer online the atmosphere was ripping through the screen in that match. Even my pommy flatmate who much preferred union professed to seeing "what RL is all about" in this match. So i'd have to argue that that match prob had a more intense atmosphere than the hawthorn geelong matchup but my point was that the hawthorn geelong match was a regular season club match. Havent seen this sort of passion and enthusiasm in RL during the regular season unfortunately.
Yeah i was at this game and the atmosphere was like nothing i have exp (not including SOO) .

Hopefully next year we can build on these last phew wins and make another great run like 2009. [-o<

Next time i am in Melbourne with the Boys i am going to go to one of these blockbuster games, really want to exp the MCG with 80+k... :D .

Would be nice to tee up the Swans vs Coll game at the MCG.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

TLPG wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:
Team sport is team sport, idiot. Ignorance for convenience is your usual form.
:lol: TLPG, like Xman has never been to an NRL match yet feels he is the authority on all things NRL :lol:

Dingbat.

:lol:

xman wrote:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Xman wrote:

We dont call you blind freddy for nothin Xman :lol:

xman wrote: