60,000 - 80,000 seater stadium for Perth

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

60,000 - 80,000 seater stadium for Perth

Post by Beaussie »

Bout bloody time. =D> =D> =D>
New 60,000-seater stadium in Perth will cost $1 billion and is likely to be third largest in Australia
By Todd Cardy
PerthNow
May 07, 20124:12PM

The Western Australia State Government has given the go-ahead for the construction of a new 60,000-seater stadium in Perth.

At 165m long by 130m wide, the new ground will be five metres longer than both the Melbourne Cricket Ground and Etihad Stadium in Melbourne, but 10m shorter than WA’s current home of footy, Patersons Stadium, which is 175m long.

In what could be an Australian first, US-inspired field suites and clubs, which are on-field hospitality boxes, are possible inclusions in the stadium’s design. Similar boxes are found at NFL's Cowboys Stadium in Dallas, Texas.

The $700 million stadium will also be built east-west, with construction on track to begin in early 2014.

It would initially seat 60,000 people, but would be built to enable one or two further expansions. Adding a third tier along one wing would add 10,000 seats, while another tier on the opposite side of the ground would add a further 10,000.

Dimensions for rectangular sports and final design concepts, including a decision on the field boxes, would be made later this year.

“This will be a massive step forward, not only for football, but for all major sporting events in this state,” said Western Australia Premier Colin Barnett.

Barnett said the stadium and related transport works was on track to keep its $1 billion price tag.

The majority of works contracts would be locked in before the State Election next March in a move that could hamper Labor’s calls for football to remain at Subiaco for the near-term.

West Coast Eagles chief executive Trevor Nisbett said that despite the club’s 9,000-strong membership waiting list, it would be a challenge to fill the initial 60,000-seat stadium

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/new-600 ... 9064507rss
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Re: 60,000 - 80,000 seater stadium for Perth

Post by Xman »

=D>

With 50k members and a waiting list of 10k the eagles desperately need this new stadium.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Pickles
Seniors
Seniors
Team:
Has thanked: 0

Post by Pickles »

I've never been to the SCG (only hear good things though) but been to every other main stadium used for AFL and Subiaco is by far the worst of the lot. This upgrade has been desperately needed for a long time. Great location not far from the city or the airport for travelling fans.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

Interesting call, Pickles, because I think Footy Park in Adelaide is worse than Subiaco. Especially with location.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Pickles
Seniors
Seniors
Team:
Has thanked: 0

Post by Pickles »

TLPG wrote:
Interesting call, Pickles, because I think Footy Park in Adelaide is worse than Subiaco. Especially with location.
Footy Park is a shocker I agree, it's biggest downfall is the location though. I was talking more so about the stadium and facilities itself. Subi is defintely worse in that area in my opinion but no doubt football park is bad. The move to play AFL at Adelaide Oval is the best decision they've made over there in years. I reckon I'll heading over at least once a year when they move there.