NRL to reap $1.2b from TV rights

NRL, State of Origin and International football TV ratings and discussion.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Re: NRL to reap $1.2b from TV rights

Post by pussycat »

yes, great read - The Churchillian like speech from Grant get me all hard every time I read it. But what is it you think it proves?
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Post by Xman »

pussycat wrote:
yes, great read - The Churchillian like speech from Grant get me all hard every time I read it. But what is it you think it proves?
Cant you read?

''Broadcast funding [including New Zealand television and a new media rights deal with Telstra] is just over $1.2 billion, and commercial revenue is about $800 million.

Isnt that less than 1.3b? :-k

:cool:
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Yeah right, We thought we got double what we got last time but we actually got less :-k :mrgreen: somehow I dont think so. [-(

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

pussycat wrote:
Yeah right, We thought we got double what we got last time but we actually got less :-k :mrgreen: somehow I dont think so. [-(
Your own leader John Grant said it! :wink:

The NRL didnt disclose the full value of the Telstra deal. Now we know it wasnt much over 100m like we thought. NZ wasnt much of an increase either.

There's no denying his admission [-(
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
piesman2011
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood

Post by piesman2011 »

pussycat wrote:
The facts from the commision are:

Total = 1.2 billion (plus a bit of change)

9 and fox = 1.025 billion

So because of these facts we know that

Telstra + NZ = 175 milion (+ change)

But we dont know how much NZ or Telstra contributed individually.
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

What we know is we know 1s: NZ money was $100m ( NZ $25m a year Au $20 a year). And we also know Telstra paid at least double. Not less!
Telstra would not disclose the commercial value of the contract but ARLC chairman John Grant said the deal was worth “double” in cash and contra to their previous deal.
“We have agreed with Telstra not to disclose the full value of that contract however we do acknowledge that it is double what we got in the last contract rights period.”

Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

pussycat wrote:
What we know is we know 1s: NZ money was $100m ( NZ $25m a year Au $20 a year). And we also know Telstra paid at least double. Not less!
Telstra would not disclose the commercial value of the contract but ARLC chairman John Grant said the deal was worth “double” in cash and contra to their previous deal.
“We have agreed with Telstra not to disclose the full value of that contract however we do acknowledge that it is double what we got in the last contract rights period.”
No, we know the telstra figure was undisclosed . Both telstra and nz totalled no more than 200M over 5 years, as stated by Grant.
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Arnt you able to read? or doesn't it suit you?

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

This means nothing, all it says is "reportedly".

Your doubling comment is irrelevant because the previous agreement was over a longer term of 6 years. You therefore can't just double the previous amount :roll:

you also need to show a source for your claim regarding the NRL deal

The fact is Grant tallied your entire deal in the following statement:

''Broadcast funding [including New Zealand television and a new media rights deal with Telstra] is just over $1.2 billion, and commercial revenue is about $800 million.

Why would he say that if it wasnt true?
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Why would the NZ contract, signed a week ago, be included in the 2012 report ?

Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

pussycat wrote:
Why would the NZ contract, signed a week ago, be included in the 2012 report ?
Grants comments were about the future contract
"Grant said that under the five-year, $1.025 billion broadcast deal, the game would earn $2 billion but only 10 per cent of that was not accounted for in expenditure.

''Our revenues in broadcast terms will more than double in the next year, and our commercial revenues are up by about 25 per cent so we are dealing with a lot more revenue, which is one of the reasons we have locked away $200 million in the growth fund over five years.

''That is about $2 billion, and of that amount 10 per cent only will go into our growth fund - and it is not enough.''
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Xman wrote:
''Broadcast funding [including New Zealand television and a new media rights deal with Telstra] is just over $1.2 billion, and commercial revenue is about $800 million......"

Note the word is???? It's not a word you use when your talking about the past.

A new deal with Telsta - but not a new deal with NZ. :wink:

There's no shame in finishing second. You beat home the ARU, the A League, Womens' athletics , aswell as the lawn bowlers and there walking frames.

piesman2011
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood

Post by piesman2011 »

pussycat wrote:
Xman wrote:
''Broadcast funding [including New Zealand television and a new media rights deal with Telstra] is just over $1.2 billion, and commercial revenue is about $800 million......"

There's no shame in finishing second. You beat home the ARU, the A League, Womens' athletics , aswell as the lawn bowlers and there walking frames.
:lol: :lol: is your name RaiderDave. Your grasping here. All media inc NZ and Telstra 1.2 billion. That's a good bit of money. No shame that it was a bit less then the AFL deal.
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

piesman2011 wrote:
pussycat wrote:
Xman wrote:

:lol: :lol: is your name RaiderDave. Your grasping here. All media inc NZ and Telstra 1.2 billion. That's a good bit of money. No shame that it was a bit less then the AFL deal.
Broadcast funding [including New Zealand television] and a new [media rights deal with Telstra] is just over $1.2 billion.