The most skillful sport RL v AFL

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Re: The most skillful sport RL v AFL

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:
please explain the difference in the stab pass technique.
Xman wrote:
The difference between a standard drop punt and a stab pass?
You heard me. Explain the difference in technique. Explain how they are fundamentally different...this oughta be a laugh. :)

And while we're at it can you confirm that both deludio and ling (AFL players) LOST the AFL goal kicking competition to players of other sports in the extreme classic tv show? :lol: :lol:
I thought you said you played ARs! :roll:

You seriously don't know the fundamental difference between a stand drop punt and a stab pass? #-o

Oh dear! :lol:
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Dogs
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Dogs »

Xman wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:
Xman wrote:
You heard me. Explain the difference in technique. Explain how they are fundamentally different...this oughta be a laugh. :)

And while we're at it can you confirm that both deludio and ling (AFL players) LOST the AFL goal kicking competition to players of other sports in the extreme classic tv show? :lol: :lol:

You seriously don't know the fundamental difference between a stand drop punt and a stab pass? #-o

Are the AFL games on tv tonight that bad that your on here XMAN :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yet another thing to prove your game is really not that hard and RL boys are more skillful. The main component of your game and RL players get better scores.

This competition is hugely favouring AFL as it is all about kicking. Yet, I would say league showed they can kick better. Given that kicking is the basis of your game, you guys are pathethic. :sick:

http://www.cokeunleashed.com.au/halloffame

RL Top 3 Average 5 :wink: or Total Average 4.25 =D> Well Done RL
Gold Coast 8 Hits

Broncos 4 Hits

Newcastle 3 Hits

South 2 Hits

AFL Average 4.33 :lol:
Swans 6 hits

St kilda 5 Hits

WB 2 Hits

Or try this one on for size :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CchjMAIBYy8
NRLCrap1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:28 am

NRLCrap1 says: Crowds don't mean squat,
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Dogs wrote:
Xman wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:

Are the AFL games on tv tonight that bad that your on here XMAN :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yet another thing to prove your game is really not that hard and RL boys are more skillful. The main component of your game and RL players get better scores.

This competition is hugely favouring AFL as it is all about kicking. Yet, I would say league showed they can kick better. Given that kicking is the basis of your game, you guys are pathethic. :sick:

http://www.cokeunleashed.com.au/halloffame

RL Top 3 Average 5 :wink: or Total Average 4.25 =D> Well Done RL
Gold Coast 8 Hits

Broncos 4 Hits

Newcastle 3 Hits

South 2 Hits

AFL Average 4.33 :lol:
Swans 6 hits

St kilda 5 Hits

WB 2 Hits

Or try this one on for size :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CchjMAIBYy8
:lol: :lol: :lol: coke unleashed is your proof! :lol: :lol:
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Dogs
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Dogs »

As I see it, I said "Yet another thing to prove your game is really not that hard and RL boys are more skillful" as opposed to your 0 value add to prove otherwise. Whenever you guys talk skill, you talk about kicking the ball. The only skill you talk about is kicking and here it is. The challenge is kicking the ball (both codes), so your point is :roll: .

Yet, another thing that makes a mockery of your game. Karmichael was a good league player. 3rd choice fullback for Aust, 2nd choice for QLD and now a player in his second year of your game and is having success.

Comment from below article: They can’t really let you know if a player had a fair dinkum crack. Hunt did, and his coach Guy McKenna singled him out as one of the few Suns to have shined on an otherwise dark night.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
NRLCrap1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:28 am

NRLCrap1 says: Crowds don't mean squat,
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Dogs wrote:
As I see it, I said "Yet another thing to prove your game is really not that hard and RL boys are more skillful" as opposed to your 0 value add to prove otherwise. Whenever you guys talk skill, you talk about kicking the ball. The only skill you talk about is kicking and here it is. The challenge is kicking the ball (both codes), so your point is :roll: .

Yet, another thing that makes a mockery of your game. Karmichael was a good league player. 3rd choice fullback for Aust, 2nd choice for QLD and now a player in his second year of your game and is having success.

Comment from below article: They can’t really let you know if a player had a fair dinkum crack. Hunt did, and his coach Guy McKenna singled him out as one of the few Suns to have shined on an otherwise dark night.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
The ball skills in general are far better in the afl than the nrl.They have to be because the ball is constantly delivered and received to and from players with a direct opponent. If a 50m pass to a leading forward isn't accurate to within a few feet the ball will miss the target or be an easy spoil for the defender. The entire game relies on these skills for a team to progress and hopefully score. Sure, there are kicks to targets in RL but they are usually short and looking at the scores, rarely successful.

The majority of passes in RL are tnot layers who have no direct opponent. Therefore they are easier because there is no defender to spoil the pass if its slightly off. They're also short throws which are obviously much shorter than a kick and therefore have more margin for error.

Catching or marking is another issue. In RL the passes by hand are received uncontested. Seriously catching a throw is hardly difficult. The ball travels little distance, so judgment of the flight is far less. The speed of the pass is far less than a kick. AFL players are required to catch a ball traveling 50-60metres in the air with a defender right there to spoil the catch. The skill required to judge the catch and beat the opponent is far greater.

Ere is no comparison of ball skills between the codes, none at all. [-(
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Xman wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:
Xman wrote:

I never said i dont know the difference. I asked you to explain the fundamental difference in technique..to which you have yet been unable to. This is not surprising in the slightest as the stab kick is basically a variation of the drop punt as i said earlier. It is not fundamentally different. Nice try at the weasling out though Xman [-X

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Xman wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:

I never said i dont know the difference. I asked you to explain the fundamental difference in technique..to which you have yet been unable to. This is not surprising in the slightest as the stab kick is basically a variation of the drop punt as i said earlier. It is not fundamentally different. Nice try at the weasling out though Xman [-X
Hmmm interesting. You go to any junior football game and you will see almost every player is able to kick a relatively accurate and correct standard drop punt. But how many can kick uan accurate, low, fast skimming stab pass? Few at most. Why? Because they are totally different In execution and required skill.

Watch any local comp train. The low accurate stab pass is by far the most difficult kick to master. It requires a far more accurate drop of the ball, better timing with the foot with contact almost on the ground as opposed to more than a foot or two off the ground. In fact the ball needs to be dropped far closer to the body and contact almost underneath the player, not out in front.

To say the standard drop punt and stab pass are variations of the same kick is absurd. It's like saying the torpedo is the same as the drop punt because they are both kicks. :roll:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

:lol: Ahh Xman you have not at all answered my question...as i suspected. And, as I suspected, yes it was a laugh watching you try and describe the difference in technique. All you've got so far is the point of contact with the ball is lower to the ground. :lol: That's even funnier cause its true! :lol: =D> bravo xman :lol:

So a stab kick = a drop punt where the contact with the ball is made a bit closer to the ground. Are there any other differences between the two xman? :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
:lol: Ahh Xman you have not at all answered my question...as i suspected. And, as I suspected, yes it was a laugh watching you try and describe the difference in technique. All you've got so far is the point of contact with the ball is lower to the ground. :lol: That's even funnier cause its true! :lol: =D> bravo xman :lol:

So a stab kick = a drop punt where the contact with the ball is made a bit closer to the ground. Are there any other differences between the two xman? :lol:
No, the contact point is almost under your body, not out in front. Your weight is forwards not backwards, the ball tilted more vertical or almost underside point towards you. Follow through short and sharp with not as much leg lift.

If it was the same kick it wouldn't need separate instruction or technique it would just be a lower drop punt, which it isn't.

As I said, this isn't a simple variation of the drop punt. It's a far more difficult kick with far more skill involved. This is why players can kick standard drop punts from an early age but not kick decent stab passes until mid to late teens.
spj
Team: collingwood

Post by spj »

THE STAB PUNT INVENTED
“THE SCIENCE OF KICKING” published 2007 THE STAB PUNT: The authors have coined the term “ stab punt” because it describes perfectly the mechanics of this shorter-range and highly accurate pass. It should not be confused with the “stab kick, a drop kick popularized by players like Bob Skilton (1960’s) and Thorold Merrett (1950s). While similar to a drop punt it never-the less has several defining characteristics that give it a distinctive flavor and purpose. It is not designed for maximum distance and accordingly the player uses a variation in drop punt technique with a limited backswing and minimal follow through. It is a kick in which a rapid punching action is applied to the ball the aim being to pass the ball as quickly and as accurately as possible to a teammate. Page 64 & 65 of “THE SCIENCE OF KICKING”! 1st Edition Geoffrey Hosford. & Don Meikle published 2007 by B.I.P.E. Publications Pty Ltd. Forward David Parkin.
Jim has spoken to Mr. Geoffrey Hosford and advised him of some of his history re his invention of the Stab Punt in 1949 and his use of the Drop Punt as a field pass from 1948. Jim has also sent Geoffrey Hosford some of his literature and Jim thanks Geoffrey for permission to publish the above extract. See / Google“MEFNC “the Stab Punt Jim Johnson”. Also see "Club Videos Jim Johnson” MEFNC'
The term STAB PUNT was “coined” 58 years after Jim invented it.
The Stab Punt invented in 1949. I found the stab kick to a stab punt easy! All I had to do was kick the ball just before instead of just after it hit the ground. My father had purchased for his sons their very own football and it only took me a couple of weeks, to make the split second adjustment of timing from kicking just before instead of just after the ball hit the ground. STAB PUNT invented. Easy for me. NOTE ONLY A SPLIT SECOND ADJUSTMENT. YES I KICKED THE GROUND A FEW TIMES GETTING THERE. Johnson should write a book on stab kicking he has found the lost art. Davey Crocket, The Ringwood Mail, September 8, 1960. (Re Jim’s Stab Punt.) Johnson sent his DELIGHTFUL LITTLE DROP PUNT PASS to Manfeld. Frank Casey, The Ringwood Croydon Post, September 8, 1960. (Jim’s Stab Punt) No doubt about Jimmy Johnson, he definitely has found the lost art of stab passing. (Re Jim’s Stab Punt.) “The Mail”, Thursday, September 15, 1960. Johnson, on the flank, was making good use of his accurate punt passes. Johnson picked up on the run, sent a drop-punt direct to Espie for another goal.” The Ringwood Croydon Post, September 8 1960, p.12 by Frank Casey. Just recently (April 23rd 2013) Jim traced the following advertisement “STAB PUNT. The Inventor of the Stab Punt (1949) is interested in hearing from anyone who used this kick pre 1970 Ph. 8743622,” that he placed in the Age, page 26, bottom right corner, on Thursday the 26th of July 1990. This ad appeared on the Sports Page that had an article by David Parkin on the Torpedo Punt. So we have an article, by a legend, describing how to kick a Torpedo Punt and an ad by Jim who invented a kick in Australian Rules Football on the same page. Special note! “Jim’s Stab Punt referred to as “Johnson’s “DELIGHTFUL LITTLE DROP PUNT PASS” in 1960. And the Stab Kick referred to as the “PRETIEST AND MOST EFFECTIVE INOVATION OF RECENT YEARS” “THE STAB KICK. A Football Development. The Argus 27th June 1910”. See google "Stab Punt Jim ” for further information. James Johnson. Melbourne High School 1st Eighteen Football Colours and 1st Eleven Cricket Team 1950. Jim played 1st Eleven Cricket from the age of 13 in 1946/47, winning Ringwood Cricket Club Bowling average in 1949/50, 1950/51 & 1959/60 with an average of 8.96.
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman

Post by cos789 »

To those people that think that different kicking types are just variations of kicking then how do you explain the reason why various forms of kicking have died out.
The dropkick died out decades ago and the stab pass was a variant to that. The utilitarian drop punt has replaced that and the stab pass has been adapted to be a stab drop punt pass. The basic difference with the stab pass was that the ball had to be thrown forcebly nonto the foot so it powered flat and not floating. The torpedo is still executed and the secret is not to put too much angle on the ball. Now we have all these kicks like the bannana kick (now used frequently instead of rarely), the end-on-end kick the hook-over-the-shoulder and kicking with the outside of the foot. .
Nice try Cos.
spj
Team: collingwood

Post by spj »

Re'The most skilful sport by cos789".
There are two ways of showing you don't know what you are talking about. One is to say you don't know and the other is to say something that shows you you don't.
The stab kick was never thrown on to the boot. A better description would be it was placed on to the boot. Please advice where "thrown forcebly nonto the foot' is recorded and by whom.
"The stab kick cannot be learnt overnight. It’s a kick that takes years of practice.” Page Page 164 Captain Blood Jack Dyers Football Clinic).
Stab Punt invented by myself, Jim Johnson, in May 1949.
The drop punt had a slow take-up by teams: Dyer himself attributed this to “Coaches do no teach this kick to their players for one reason. They cannot do it and have never bothered to learn its fundamentals” Football Clinic, p.167 Captain Blood, Jack Dyer. As told to Brian Hansen, Paul, (London), 1965.
The stab is a feature of the game that should never die. The stab kick cannot be learnt overnight. It’s a kick that takes years of practice. Page 164 “Jack Dyer’s Footy Clinic“ Published 1965.)
THE DROP KICK WILL BE BACK. Jack Dyer 1965. "The drop kick should be a footballer’s basic weapon but UNFORTUNATELY THE TEMPO OF THE GAME IS DRIVING FOOTBALLERS TO USE THE RUNNING PUNT. However there is nothing more certain than the DROP KICK WILL BE BACK. The football cycle is reverting back to classical football and drop kicking to position. Page 161/2. Captain Blood, Jack Dyer. as told to Brian Hansen, Paul, (London), 1965.
JACK DYER WAS CORRECT IN THAT THE DROP KICK DID COME BACK; BUT IT CAME BACK AS THE RUNING DROP PUNT JIM JOHNSON PERFECTED in 1948 and was using from 1948 TO 1960. See "Stab Punt Jim" for further infprmation.
Stab Punt Jim.
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

cos789 wrote:
To those people that think that different kicking types are just variations of kicking then how do you explain the reason why various forms of kicking have died out.
The dropkick died out decades ago and the stab pass was a variant to that. The utilitarian drop punt has replaced that and the stab pass has been adapted to be a stab drop punt pass. The basic difference with the stab pass was that the ball had to be thrown forcebly nonto the foot so it powered flat and not floating. The torpedo is still executed and the secret is not to put too much angle on the ball. Now we have all these kicks like the bannana kick (now used frequently instead of rarely), the end-on-end kick the hook-over-the-shoulder and kicking with the outside of the foot. .
RL still has a dropkick you dropkick.
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach
Team: Sydney Swans

Post by Swans4ever »

ParraEelsNRL wrote:
cos789 wrote:
I agree the NRL is full of em!!!
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Swans4ever wrote:
ParraEelsNRL wrote:
cos789 wrote:
I agree the NRL is full of em!!!
:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o