NRL on paytv in NZ not guaranteed

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

NRL on paytv in NZ not guaranteed

Post by Xman »

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/63303 ... -done-deal

Sky Television chief executive John Fellet has downplayed any concerns the broadcaster won't screen the NRL this season – but has stopped short of making any guarantees.

Fellet, however, said despite the Warriors' success in 2011, the ratings in New Zealand last year had actually been down on previous seasons.
RL in NZ is struggling despite their single NRL teams success! LOL
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Re: NRL on paytv in NZ not guaranteed

Post by Raiderdave »

Xman wrote:

Sky Television chief executive John Fellet has downplayed any concerns the broadcaster won't screen the NRL this season – but has stopped short of making any guarantees.

Fellet, however, said despite the Warriors' success in 2011, the ratings in New Zealand last year had actually been down on previous seasons.

:lol: :lol:

NRL actually rates better then most Super 15 in NZ ... they want the NRL alright ..who wouldn't :wink:
heres the real story folks

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=10781768

Manu Vatuvei's thundering thighs will be coming to a high definition television near you during next Saturday night's NRL All Star Game - but it's a case of wait and see when it comes to television coverage of the Warriors and the 2012 NRL season.

Sky Television's deal to broadcast the NRL expired at the end of last season and negotiations over a new contract have stalled as the NRL attempts to transfer the game's governance to a new independent commission.

An NRL spokesman described negotiations over New Zealand broadcasting rights as "ongoing'. Sky chief executive John Fellet, however, said Sky had tabled an offer two months ago only to be told by the NRL that nothing could be signed off until the independent commission - the body that will run the game following News Ltd's departure - was in place.

Reports in Australia suggest the commission could be in place as early as Tuesday next week. However, many such dates for the takeover have come and passed without event.

"Two months ago we sent them a proposal," Fellet said. "They thanked us and said 'look, we really can't deal with this until we get the new commission.' I don't know where they stand on that but I am sure the new commission will get formed pretty soon."

While that would open the door for talks to resume, the negotiations might be fraught. Maximising broadcast revenue to bring league into line with what networks pay for ARL games is a central plank of the new commission's formation. Sky, on the other hand, is understood to be seeking a reduction in the amount it pays due to falling ratings. "It would be true that they are trying to maximise [revenue] and it would be true that we are trying to get what we think is a fair value," Fellet said.

He declined to reveal specifics, however a recent report in the Sydney Morning Herald valued the NRL's previous deal with Sky NZ at A$14 million a season.

While Fellet described the battle for the rights as an "open contest", in reality Sky appears to be the only entity capable of meeting the NRL's asking price. Maori TV broadcast delayed coverage of Manly's games last season and provided coverage of Auckland's Fox Memorial competition. While the station viewed league as a desirable product it didn't have the financial clout to compete with Sky, chief executive Jim Mather said.

While some Sky insiders involved in producing the network's league coverage are privately nervous about the state of negotiations, the prospect of the network dropping the NRL is minimal. The NRL is a major subscriber driver for Sky and the broadcasting deal represents the company's second-largest contract.

While there is some suggestion the parties will look to agree a one-year deal to bring the contract into line with that of Australian networks Fox and Channel Nine, which expires at the end of 2012, Fellet said Sky's contract had always been out of sync with Australian networks and its preference was to secure a five-year deal.

"It's their call," Fellet said. "We always prefer five-year deals because in five-year deals there will be a great year, a bad year and three pretty normal years, so you spread your risk out a little bit better. But it's up to them."

Fellet indicated it was possible Sky would continue to broadcast NRL matches even if the parties had not reached an agreement when the season starts. "That's not uncommon but you'd rather get these things put to bed ahead of time."

it says the NRL said it can't make any deals & Sky NZ had to wait for the new IC to take over control of the game ( Feb 7th is the date this will happen )
to make the decision about their offer
( a pretty good one I'm hearing well up from the 14 mill a year they paid for the last 5 years )

even if this isn't sorted out before the season kicks off on March 2nd
the NRL has no issue letting them cover games til it is .... & the option of a 1 year deal to bring it into line with the rest of the games broadcast deals is also a strong possibility

100 Million ova 5 years from NZ to add to our 1 Billion plus from Aust broadcasters ....

wow .. we're rolling in it :wink:
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Raiderdave wrote:
Xman wrote:

While that would open the door for talks to resume, the negotiations might be fraught. Maximising broadcast revenue to bring league into line with what networks pay for ARL games is a central plank of the new commission's formation. Sky, on the other hand, is understood to be seeking a reduction in the amount it pays due to falling ratings.
Falling ratings and Sky seeking a reduction in the amount it pays. Not looking good for the NRL. :lol:

Add to that in Australia, Foxtel considers RL a downmarket product and is refusing to pay overs for the rights.

$1 billion is pure fantasy in the minds of the NRL. Never gonna happen.
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Post by Xman »

When the only NRL team in NZ makes the gf and the ratings are lower, that's a worry!
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
Xman wrote:

While that would open the door for talks to resume, the negotiations might be fraught. Maximising broadcast revenue to bring league into line with what networks pay for ARL games is a central plank of the new commission's formation. Sky, on the other hand, is understood to be seeking a reduction in the amount it pays due to falling ratings.
Falling ratings and Sky seeking a reduction in the amount it pays. Not looking good for the NRL. :lol:

Add to that in Australia, Foxtel considers RL a downmarket product and is refusing to pay overs for the rights.

$1 billion is pure fantasy in the minds of the NRL. Never gonna happen.

what broadcaster ever says they are prepared to pay more you **** half wit ? :roll:
over the 5 years of the previous deal .... NRL was a bigger rater then Super 15 in NZ
Sky NZ want Australasia's biggest sport on their channel ...
they have already tabled an offer worth more then the previous 5 year deal

rolling in it
are we ............... :wink:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Xman wrote:
When the only NRL team in NZ makes the gf and the ratings are lower, that's a worry!

unlike your snorefest of a comp
ours produces surprises ..... the Warriors making the GF was one
no Kiwis gave their side a hope in hell of getting near the GF ... & for long periods in 2011 they struggled

in a world cup year they were overshadowed
but ..over the 5 years of the last NZ Sky Deal , the most consistent sports rater was the NRL ....

650,000 Kiwis watched our GF ... ... did .. 650 .. watch yours 8-[ . :lol: :lol: :lol:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Raiderdave wrote:
Source? Otherwise I'm going to call BS.

As the article above clearly states:
Sky, on the other hand, is understood to be seeking a reduction in the amount it pays due to falling ratings.

Why would a broadcaster offer to pay more for RL that has been proven to not rate well with ratings falling despite the only NZ NRL team featuring in the NRL GF last season?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Raiderdave wrote:
Xman wrote:

NRL actually rates better then most Super 15 in NZ
I want to see a source for this too. Looks like more BS from Raider.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

How are you going with those sources Raider?
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
Xman wrote:

known fact
as difficult as that would be to comprehend for a wombatball fan .... who's codes ratings in foreign lands can be counted on one's left hand

RL is watched by many people in the UK & NZ
I'll get the article backing up my claim ....... that NRL outrates " most " super rugby in NZ

:wink:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:

Sky, on the other hand, is understood to be seeking a reduction in the amount it pays due to falling ratings.

Why would a broadcaster offer to pay more for RL that has been proven to not rate well with ratings falling despite the only NZ NRL team featuring in the NRL GF last season?

the source will be when the details are released with their offer for 2012 to 2016 ( I've heard its bigger )
being bigger then their last deal f knuckle .......... K :wink:

laying to rest any waffle about falling ratings
like I said
they consider the performance of our code over 5 years .... not 1
:wink:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Raiderdave wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:

known fact

RL is watched by many people in the UK & NZ
I'll get the article backing up my claim ....... that NRL outrates " most " super rugby in NZ
Still waiting on the source. :roll:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Raiderdave wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:

the source will be when the details are released with their offer for 2012 to 2016 ( I've heard its bigger)
You say that rubbish over and over again and never provide sources. No one takes you seriously anymore. You're a joke.
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman

Post by cos789 »

Xman wrote:
And AF is on NZ TV I believe.
Nice try Cos.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
Beaussie wrote:

the source will be when the details are released with their offer for 2012 to 2016 ( I've heard its bigger)
You say that rubbish over and over again and never provide sources. No one takes you seriously anymore. You're a joke.
well we won't have long to wait for me to be proven right ............. again :wink:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million