AFL Expansion

Australian Football news and discussion.

AFL Expansion - Which City Has The Best Chance of Success?

Cairns
22%
Canberra
No votes
Darwin
22%
Gold Coast
No votes
Hobart
22%
Western Sydney
33%
New Zealand
No votes

Total votes: 9

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

AFL Expansion

Post by Beaussie »

With the AFL hinting at expansion possibilites and the Kangaroos, Western Bulldogs, Hawthorn, Melbourne and St Kilda already playing home games all over the country - which city do you think will be next in line for either relocation of a current team, or the establishment of a new team?

My bet is Western Bulldogs being relocated to Western Sydney and Kangaroos being relocated to Canberra, all of course with games in Melbourne to keep their current fans on board. One thing is certain, alot of financial support will be required wherever the next team or relocated team is based.

Thoughts anyone?
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

I'm backing Cairns as it will be a ploy by AFL chiefs to reduce the Lions' dominance of the competition in both support and players from Qld.

Plus the sport is very strong in Cairns and the population is large enough (including in a 2 hour radius) to support a team and make it financially viable.

Plus the Beaussie factor demonstrates why the second team shouldn't be in Sydney - people in the West will turn their back on it if it performs like the Swans!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
Plus the Beaussie factor demonstrates why the second team shouldn't be in Sydney - people in the West will turn their back on it if it performs like the Swans!
WTF. Returning serve from my minor swipe at you in TFC are we?

Despite my rant of the other day, I'd never turn my back on the Swans as frustrating as that may be. I've been through the very bad times of the early 90s and am just praying that one day I will see my Swans win a flag.

I would of course have a soft spot for West Sydney and their objectives of growing the game in NSW. The Swans however, will always be my number 1 team. That's not to say that I wouldn't be even more upset though if West Sydney won a flag before the Swans.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Yeah.....I read that too croc. Beaussie you sounded like the typical bandwagoner now didnt you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bloody bandwagoners just cause we havent won a premiership in 72 years they turn their noses up and leave!

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Wrong again KE. I'm a Swans fan till the end, through the good and the bad times - despite getting fucking wild at the continual lack of success when it comes to premiership glory. I want a fucking god damn flag flying over Sydney Town Hall with a ticker tape parade down George Street.
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

You've got as much chance of that happening, Beaussie, as you have of Willow begging you to come back and post on LU! :lol:
MG

Post by MG »

Beaussie wrote:
Wrong again KE. I'm a Swans fan till the end, through the good and the bad times - despite getting f****** wild at the continual lack of success when it comes to premiership glory. I want a f****** god damn flag flying over Sydney Town Hall with a ticker tape parade down George Street.
unfortunately beaussie i dont think roos is the person to get you that flag. he clearly lacks passion for the team. they need someone who rants and raves and can get the best out of their team.

oh yeah, i voted for cairns. anywhere but kiwiland will do, though.
Bomber
Team:

Post by Bomber »

Tassie unlike the other options is a real footy state. They deserve a team before all the others.
footyhead
Team:

Post by footyhead »

I voted Western Sydney purely on the bases of population.
A second team in Sydney :
Good for the Swans-Good for Football- Good for Sydney!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Welcome along footyhead. It's great to see another Swans fan who doesn't see a new team in Western Sydney being the end of the Swans and AFL in NSW. :roll:
footyhead
Team:

Post by footyhead »

I beleive a team in Western Sydney would actually encourage growth in Swans memberships and sponsorship.
Based on a higer awarness of both teams in the media and of the AFL comp in general generating more goodwill throughout Sydney.
Also the stero type of AFL being seen as a victorian sport would begine to be broken down through this.
Not to mention the excitment and publicity generated by the tribalisim it would inspire between the eastern/northern suberbs set and the Western suberbs set.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

footyhead wrote:
I beleive a team in Western Sydney would actually encourage growth in Swans memberships and sponsorship.
Based on a higer awarness of both teams in the media and of the AFL comp in general generating more goodwill throughout Sydney.
Also the stero type of AFL being seen as a victorian sport would begine to be broken down through this.
Not to mention the excitment and publicity generated by the tribalisim it would inspire between the eastern/northern suberbs set and the Western suberbs set.
Totally agree with your comments above footyhead. Try mentioning the merits of second Sydney team on RWO though. It'll be the end of the Swans and AFL footy in NSW according to some over there. :roll:

I can't wait to be at the first local derby between Sydney and West Sydney at Telstra Stadium. Just imagine the atmosphere.

Oh and imagine the increased media coverage for the AFL with 2 teams in NSW.
footyhead
Team:

Post by footyhead »

Well there's no doubt that the second team would struggle for some time, but the Swans are up and running, and they really should be able to turn a profit.
I actually think the swans are not agressive enough.
There are certain things that have really grated on me. They do not encourage the hard core. It is generally the most committed who bring more members into the club. I have droped down to the offices in driver av a number of times and the ladies there have treated me with disdain and suspicion.
For a club who are supposedly struggeling for survival, they should be open and making potentially interested parties who have taken the time to come down to the club to feel welcome.
I also think a lot of old south Melb types are there volunteering their time, they act like mother hens for the players. This is ok all clubs have this, but I also think these old girls (and some old boys) have an out dated attitude to the Sydney public. They think they are in hostile waters.
I have at times questioned them about publicity for upcoming games, and they have throwen up their arms and said words to the effect ... "i don't know know body seems interested in anything swans around here"
That is not how you change things.
Now I actually think Richard Colless is a very smart and determined man, but he can't do it all him self neither can the board. They need to let the club be taken over (slowly) by the hard core supporters from Sydney. There needs to be a handing over of the reigns.
Then the Swans will be truly answerable to the Sydney public, and shortly thereafter you will see a lot more support for the Swans within the Sydney community.
I hasten to add I am not saying that the board or the AFL should give up their clear majority. But they should become a little less paraniod about loosing control. It is a long time since the days of jeff edelston, Sydney is behind the Swans now, so Sydney should be allowed to be involved.
To give up only two election postions is rediculous, especially when those seats are probabley going to be filled by Paul Kelly and some Melbourne personality. It means that Sydney will have no elected representative on the board.
Really paranoid and screwed up management.
Last edited by footyhead on Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Beaussie congrats on the like minded buddy! :lol: Bomber i tend to agree with you on tassie but they are not the only state/territory option that is afl territory. The option of Darwin is the other afl mad territory/state.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Yes me and footyhead agree on many things, in particular the second Sydney team which seems to upset many at RWO. Seriously KE, a second Sydney team according to many at RWO means the end of not only the Swans, but AFL in NSW.

The great game will not grow to its potential with just the Swans in NSW.