AFL/NRL Tipping Competitions in 2012

For all the latest forum/site updates, suggestions and news.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

AFL/NRL Tipping Competitions in 2012

Post by Beaussie »

Tipping will return shortly for the AFL and NRL in 2012. Thinking of adding Super 15 Rugby too if there is enough interest?

With tipping set to return, I was wondering if you have any ideas on the terms and conditions of entry. We could simply go with what we've had for the past 3 years (see below)?

Thoughts.
Terms and Conditions of Entry

Entry is free, however to be eligible for a prize, tippers must have a minimum of 10 posts on the forums by the completion of the AFL and NRL seasons.

Tipping Competition Prizes

Prizes will be given to the participants who meeting the above criteria, finish 1st, 2nd and 3rd in either the AFL or NRL tipping competitions. The three tippers who have the highest total number of correctly selected winning teams in all 22 rounds of the AFL season plus finals or all 26 rounds of the NRL season plus finals for each respective competition, will be eligible for the prizes on offer. The prizes on offer for each competition are as follows:

1st Prize - $175.00 cash + $100.00 Rebel Sport gift voucher
2nd Prize - $50.00 cash + $50.00 Rebel Sport gift voucher
3rd Prize - $25.00 cash + $30.00 Rebel Sport gift voucher

Tipping Competition Rules

Entering tips for each game will close at the time indicated in the upcoming games list. If your tips are not placed before the close of each game, you will receive no points for that game. Please do not ask for your tips to be entered after the set game time listed has passed. If you did not enter your tips then that is bad luck. Subscribing to the footy tipping reminders will ensure you do not forget to enter your tips. To subscribe to these reminders, simply click on the Subscribe to the Footy Tipping Reminder link located under the leader boards. The allocation of points is as follows:

1 point for each correct tip.
1 bonus point for a correct tip in the match of the round.
0 points given for an incorrect tip.

0 points given if there is a draw.

Determination of Winners

If at the end of the tipping competition two (2) or more tippers have the same amount of points a count back will occur. A count back will rank tippers according to the frequency with which they selected the most winning teams in a round over the 22 rounds plus finals of the AFL season and over the 26 rounds plus finals of the NRL season.

An elimination process based solely on that count back will occur. The count back will firstly identify the tipper(s) who most frequently tipped 8 winning teams from 8, then 7 winning teams from 8 , then 6 winning teams from 8 and so on (down to and including 1 winning team from 8 if required) until tippers are determined to be ranked higher than all of the others. All entries taken up in the calculation will be based on a total of 8 matches in a round regardless of whether 8 teams were selected by the tipper. If this fails to rank the tippers for the three prizes on offer in each competition, each tipper will be entered into a draw. The order each tipper is drawn is where they will be ranked accordingly. This outcome of this will be final and no further correspondence will occur.

Claiming of Prizes

Cash prizes can be claimed once each of the AFL & NRL grand finals are completed. Payment can be processed via either direct deposit into a nominated bank account or money order through Australia Post. Gift vouchers will be sent via post.

Prizes must be claimed within 4 weeks of the respective competition close and all monetary prizes will be paid in Australia Dollars (AUD).

User Agreement

1.1 When you make an application for registration, you agree to the Terms and Conditions of this competition. These terms and conditions could change at any time without notice.

1.2 You are entirely responsible for all of the obligations arising out of or in relation to your registration and your account.

1.3 You must not disclose your account information to anyone and you will be responsible if the account is accessed by someone other than you.

1.4 Registration into the competition can only be made once per person. Any member found to have more than one registration will be removed from the competition.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Re: AFL/NRL Tipping Competitions in 2012

Post by King-Eliagh »

I still think the match of the round bonus tip is bogus. It's too much of a reward for one correct tip and the choice as to what is the match of the round is biased as it is entirely up to Beaussie, although this is something you prob enjoy beaussie it's not really a great setup. A bonus point could be given to those tipsters who tip a perfect round instead? I think this is a much better bonus point option.

Also I'm real worried about what happened last year with token bums rocking up come tipping time and putting in their ten token posts on the boards so they are still eligible for the prizemoney. Perhaps what we need to do is add a cost for this comp. $10-$20 each isnt much and this money could go on top of the money beaussie has put on the table out of his hard earned, as well as perhaps providing a $50 pineapple for Beaussie for running the comp? I think this is pretty fair and will reduce those members who rock up for the free comp and prizes and do not contribute to this site in anyway. But on the flip side we may lose a large number of tippers...however the flip side to that is higher chances for us all to take out the prizes! :D

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

An update should be made to the terms - in the AFL this year the perfect round is 9 and not 8.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Good point TLPG. Cheers for that. :wink:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
I still think the match of the round bonus tip is bogus. It's too much of a reward for one correct tip and the choice as to what is the match of the round is biased as it is entirely up to Beaussie, although this is something you prob enjoy beaussie it's not really a great setup. A bonus point could be given to those tipsters who tip a perfect round instead? I think this is a much better bonus point option.
I thought people liked the bonus point for the match of the round.
King-Eliagh wrote:
Also I'm real worried about what happened last year with token bums rocking up come tipping time and putting in their ten token posts on the boards so they are still eligible for the prizemoney. Perhaps what we need to do is add a cost for this comp. $10-$20 each isnt much and this money could go on top of the money beaussie has put on the table out of his hard earned, as well as perhaps providing a $50 pineapple for Beaussie for running the comp? I think this is pretty fair and will reduce those members who rock up for the free comp and prizes and do not contribute to this site in anyway. But on the flip side we may lose a large number of tippers...however the flip side to that is higher chances for us all to take out the prizes! :D
I don't believe in people having to pay to enter. Posting on the forums is enough of a contribution in my mind.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Ohwell, this means the prizes will be smaller Beaussie and then we may well get those token posters mocking the system again. How's about atleast upping the required posts to 40?

And what about the bogus match of the round bonus tip? Get rid of it?

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Could possibly look at a credits system where you earn credits for each post. Credits could then be used to enter one's tips, bet against others or play arcade games as a few examples I can think of off the top of my head. We had something similar a few years back for the arcade.

Why is my match of the round bogus? In any case, happy to go with what members think is the match of the upcoming round through a poll if need be. I like the bonus point for a match of the round. Makes it interesting.
NSWAFL
Coach
Coach
Team: Sydney Hills Eagles
Been liked: 0

Post by NSWAFL »

To make it fair, I think we should put the match of the round to a vote. If it's practical.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

I'll agree with that.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I dont think it is all that practical. I raised the issue last yr and in the end we just went with beaussies pick as it was easiest. I still think its bogus as it is a reward which is given far too often and doesnt really reward skillful tipping. It's usually a tough matchup to pick which means it could go either way so generally more luck than skillful tipping. It means there is clear potential for a tipper who has 10 more overall correct tips to be beaten by a tipper who tipped more match of the round tips...

xman wrote:
kaskill
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by kaskill »

I like the bonus point because it gives you hope when you're a fair way behind
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

True kaskill, but those who are way behind deserve no hope :lol:

Anyway, I'm happy to go with it like last time. I also like beaussies credits idea to perhaps get some of the freeloaders involved on the forums.

xman wrote:
rosize
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0

Post by rosize »

Keep the comp as it is. I like the bonus game.....and I think it is the most skillful part of the comp as the game is always well chosen. Well done, Beaussie! Don't change the uniqueness of this comp. I think you'd get more people posting if King Eliagh didn't participate. I get sick of his vitriol.
vandyk
Rookie
Rookie
Team: hawthorn+ south sydney

Post by vandyk »

change the terms of entry so everyone can join without the 10 blogs to get more interest and super 15 tipping would be good
vandyk
Rookie
Rookie
Team: hawthorn+ south sydney

Post by vandyk »

give the bonus point for tipping all correct much more skilful so you get reward for effort not just picking the upset when you are a long way behind