Big Bash Cricket

Whether it be cricket, golf, basketball, tennis, boxing or any other sport - this is the place for you.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Big Bash Cricket

Post by King-Eliagh »

Thanks NSW Sydney sixers eh. Does anyone else feel this game is more based on luck than cricketing skill? To me it's just a bit of a show, ready made for television without much respect for the mental toughness required to make a big score in cricket or to figure a player out through bowling 15overs at him.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

There is some luck, but that adds a lack of predictability. However there is some skill involved as well, in particular for the batsmen. It's not a slugfest. You take Dave Warner for example. His skill with a bat is showing in both 20/20 AND test matches (as well as limited overs).
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

cooee wrote:
The Suns would be rubbing their hands together with that news. Don't they get a percentage of revenue from other activities using Metricon?
Wow, yeah didn't think about that. Can't remember where I read it but yeah, the Suns receive revenue from all events and signage ete at the stadium. Big Day Out was recently held there too. Just shows what a smart investment AFL contributions to stadium redvelopment and construction are long term.
Metricon Stadium is a Stadium’s Queensland venue operated by the Gold Coast SUNS

http://www.metriconstadium.com.au/the-s ... formation/
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Good deal! That'll keep the money rolling in! I hope the SANFL and the WAFC noticed given that they'll be shifting into Adelaide Oval and that new venue at Burswood in the next ten years, because they can do the same thing and pass the proceeds on to their AFL clubs and the state league clubs at least.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

TLPG wrote:
There is some luck, but that adds a lack of predictability. However there is some skill involved as well, in particular for the batsmen. It's not a slugfest. You take Dave Warner for example. His skill with a bat is showing in both 20/20 AND test matches (as well as limited overs).
I see what you mean with the lack of predictability and some skill involved as well but it still looks more like a slugfest than a display of technical batting to me. Unfortunately I missed Dave Warners 180 against India recently. Surely you'd see this innings as something which was far more skillful than any innings he has or will ever play in Big bash?

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Well the first hundred was in double quick time (can't remember how many balls but it was less than 100). If it's a slugfest a good bowler will get through the gate and get rid of him. It takes skill to prevent that, and to a very high level especially faced with spin bowlers who can be more dangerous to the slugger to cow corner than a quick bowler. Warner managed to bring some of the 20/20 bashing to the Test arena and with success as well. And India are no mugs with the ball as the wipeout after they finally broke the opening partnership proved.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Warner scored his 100 in something like 69 balls and although he prob brough some of the skills from 20/20 we cant attribute this completely to the beginning of this new short version of the game. Viv Richards I think still has the record for the quickest test ton (i think 49balls) so I think skillful smashing has been around well before. I believe we wouldnt be able to watch as good a batting performance in 20/20 as in test.

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

I just checked Wikipedia and in fact it was 56 balls. The thing about Viv Richards though is that the man was a freak. He was a natural. They broke the mould when they created that guy to use the old analogy. The only reason we wouldn't be able to watch as a good a batting performance in 20/20 as in test is purely the time factor - and for no other reason. Heck, even if it was a 50 over game, how good was Sehwag bashing 219 against the West Indies? (note that Viv also made that list - 189 not out against the Poms)
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Yep the time is the factor. So Beaussie, you should come out for a day of test cricket next year and possibly see a great innings.

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Yep the time is the factor. So Beaussie, you should come out for a day of test cricket next year and possibly see a great innings.
Not interested TBH.

Thinking about going to see the Sydney Sixers tomorrow night though.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I stand corrected on a lot of this stuff. Although I still see test cricket as the ultimate form, the success of 20/20 to attract a different market can only be a good thing and the innovative techniques and new skills the game brings are interesting. Whats peoples thoughts on this reverse sweep smash shot? I cant see why you shouldnt be allowed to play it???

xman wrote:
RUS
Team: Hawthorn
Been liked: 0

Post by RUS »

Killed test cricket