International AFL vs International RL

Football development and expansion overseas. Which code is the biggest? Fight it out in here.
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

International AFL vs International RL

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

So, I thought this was put to bed a few weeks ago but I see a few clowns are still of the opinion that AFL is bigger than RL world wide.

Can we finally get some proof?

:D
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach

Re: International AFL vs International RL

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Someone stated that there was supposedly near 50,000 afl players outside Australia playing, could anyone prove this please because I don't believe the AFL has this many outside Australia because if they did, that's as many players as French RL has.
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman
Been liked: 0

Post by cos789 »

eels fan wrote:
Someone stated that there was supposedly near 50,000 afl players outside Australia playing, could anyone prove this please.
We'll there isn't "near 50,000 afl players outside Australia playing" but there well over 60,000 people playing Australian Football outside of Australia.
Nice try Cos.
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

ffs, you knew what I meant and you damn well know your leaders have been promoting AR as AFL since the mid 90's in the Northern states.

That aside, can you back up these 60,000 with links outside wiki and Worldfootynews?

Cheers.
cos789
Coach
Coach

Post by cos789 »

eels fan wrote:
ffs, you knew what I meant and you damn well know your leaders have been promoting AR as AFL since the mid 90's in the Northern states.
It's only by being painfully pedantic that I've managed to survive in BF but then It's by only by being painfully pedantic that I've managed to piss off everybody that doesn't agree with me.

eels fan wrote:
That aside, can you back up these 60,000 with links outside wiki and Worldfootynews?
Worldfootynews went to the trouble of doing a census not so long ago with clubs, teams, players and participants and IMO quite the authority. Who else do suggest as an independant authority on such matters ? You could vist the individual websites of 60 countries and then make an estimation by the number of teams.
Nice try Cos.
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Newspapers from said countries, you tube clips from the news and actual games, pictures showing games taking place and ect.
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

I can do it for RL, can you for af ........ sorry, AR?
cos789
Coach
Coach

Post by cos789 »

Key Change has had an ongoing relationship with the Australian Football League (AFL) in both Australia and South Africa since 2008.

The AFL has had a presence in South Africa since 1899, however, it wasn't until 2007 that the AFL significantly increased its investment in South Africa, earmarking the country as one if its priority International markets. Since then, the game has grown significantly, and is now played by over 20,000 young South Africans in four provinces.

The South African version of footy is known as "footyWILD". A key focus of footyWILD is healthy lifestyles - specifically, using sport as a vehicle to deliver positive lifestyle messages about issues such as HIV/AIDS in conjunction with partner NGOs.

http://keychangemusic.com/web/workshops
Nice try Cos.
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Yep, I've read that before, any footage of these youngsters playing?

Also, you said 60,000, where are the other 40k?

Remember one thing, PNG is RL and only has 6 million people, NZ is Union with 4 million and RL is second, the rest of the Pacific has at most 2 million people. So don't try and pull the wool over my eyes.
cos789
Coach
Coach

Post by cos789 »

Papua New Guinea AFL Taskforce announced
Media release

26 September 2011

The Australian Government and the AFL have kicked off a new partnership with the launch of a taskforce to expand Australian rules football in Papua New Guinea.

The PNG AFL Taskforce will be jointly chaired by Parliamentary Secretary for Pacific Island Affairs Richard Marles and PNG Foreign Minister Ano Pala.

It will include PNG-born and three-time premiership player Mal Michael, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade representative and former Richmond player Ray Hall, AFL International Development Manager Tony Woods and AusAID representatives.

The Taskforce will look at all facets of the game including the implementation of development programs, football programs to assist with social issues, an elite player pathway with an expanded Academy program and the possibility of a PNG representative team playing on a weekly basis in an Australian football competition.

Recommendations will be made by the Taskforce with a view to partnership programs in the coming years.

"We know PNG is a sports-loving nation and this taskforce is an important step in the development of a game much-loved in Australia but less-developed in PNG," Mr Marles said.

"Importantly, it follows last month's signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Australian Government and the AFL which recognises the strength of collaboration in developing the game's export potential."

One of Papua New Guinea's most famous exports, Mr Michael said he is looking forward to playing an important role for football in his homeland.

"Back in 2002 I said there will be more players from PNG that would be able to play at the highest level and with the support of the Taskforce I don't think this is too far from being a reality. I know the positive impact Australian football can have on both individuals and communities and I look forward to giving same opportunities that I did," he said.

AFL International Development Manager Tony Woods said the Taskforce will engage with footballers throughout PNG.

"There is fantastic potential in PNG with more than 27,000 participants currently playing the game. By providing a network of programs we know this number will rise and there will be opportunities for elite players to pursue their football," Mr Woods said.

One of PNG's most promising elite players, Brendan Beno, played with the Brisbane Lions reserves for the first time last month. Beno, 17, is one of nine PNG players on AFL International Scholarships.

Last month the PNG national team performed strongly in the International Cup, where they were runner-up to Ireland.

http://ministers.dfat.gov.au/marles/rel ... 10926.html
Nice try Cos.
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

27,000 for PNG officially is more than RL by 17k, do you honestly believe PNG AFL is bigger than RL?

(unofficially, RL has over 1 million participants in PNG).
Topper
Coach
Coach
Team: AFL

Post by Topper »

Excellent work, cos789, and excellent work by the AFL in promoting it's product worldwide with tremendous results. RL can only dream of this sort of publicity.
Rugby League has a lying culture. Altering crowd figures, relying on inaccurate TV figures from regional NSW and refusing to distance itself from Leagues Clubs and obtain it's own club memberships as it relies on LC's to survive as private entities.
cos789
Coach
Coach

Post by cos789 »

The figures for the RSA are from 2009. Projections are for 40k.
Still 58 countries to go .No objections to 47k so far ?
Nice try Cos.
Topper
Coach
Coach
Team: AFL

Post by Topper »

Not by anyone with a rational thought pattern.
Rugby League has a lying culture. Altering crowd figures, relying on inaccurate TV figures from regional NSW and refusing to distance itself from Leagues Clubs and obtain it's own club memberships as it relies on LC's to survive as private entities.
cos789
Coach
Coach

Post by cos789 »

eels fan wrote:
27,000 for PNG officially is more than RL by 17k, do you honestly believe PNG AFL is bigger than RL?
I am supplying you with figures that meet your criteria .
It's very time comsuming. Give me a break.
I'm not entering into opinions just yet.
Nice try Cos.