Hyper inflation out of control in the AFL

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra
Been liked: 0

Hyper inflation out of control in the AFL

Post by Raiderdave »

GWS signed a mid ranged ... so so .. reasonable prospect player from the Adelaide Crows yesterday
the first from an exisiting AFL club .. for 800K a season :shock:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6107002446

LITTLE-known Adelaide rookie Phil Davis yesterday became the richest 20-year-old in the AFL after agreeing to a $3 million, five-year deal to join Greater Western Sydney.

But he won't be the highest paid youngster in west Sydney for long because the Giants are likely to secure Melbourne's Tom Scully and Western Bulldogs' Callan Ward on fatter contracts as they build a super list of the best young players in the AFL.

"I am not going to lie, money is a factor," Davis said.

"But it's not everything.

"Football is the main thing for me. The opportunity to start a new franchise, the challenges that come with that and everything that is involved really drew me to it."Adelaide, who described Davis as a "future captain", are now double victims of expansion after All Australian defender Nathan Bock left for the Suns last year.

The Crows said it was impossible to compete with the inflated offers from the AFL newcomers.

"Once we found out what we were up against with Phil, we put an offer together that was way, way, way over any offer to a 20-game player in the history of this football club," Crows football manager Phil Harper said.

"It still wasn't in the ballpark. I don't think we as a club could have done any more to keep Phil here.

"But welcome to the new world of AFL footy. Not only do these things happen, but we live in a ridiculously inflated market for players."

Unlike Bock, Davis has virtually no credentials.

Taken with pick No.10 in the 2008 draft, he is the only player in the history of the AFL to be dropped in the same week he was a Rising Star nominee.

But even after just 18 AFL games, astute judges know Davis is the real deal.

He has beaten superstar opponents such as Lance Franklin, Nick Riewoldt and Cameron Mooney.

And despite what sceptics with little AFL knowledge would believe, he is a superb signing by the Giants.

A shoulder reconstruction has restricted him to just three games this year and yesterday he took it upon himself to advise teammates he would be leaving the club.

In a farcical situation, GWS were not permitted to confirm the signing of Davis and could only issue a carefully worded press release which claimed a deal may be done at the end of the season.

"Phil is an exciting young player with a big future ahead of him," GWS chief executive Dale Holmes said.

"We are delighted that he has indicated his interest in joining the Giants and believe he would be a very good fit for this club as we build a strong team for the future."

Aside from his imposing 197cm and 94kg frame, the Giants were attracted to Davis because he was "born and bred" in Sydney before moving to Adelaide at the age of 14. His father went to school in western Sydney and Davis is therefore considered a home-grown talent.

first of all
if GWS think a player of this type of profile ... ie NONE
is going to get Western Sydneysiders signing up to be members .. they are sadly mistaken
I mean most wouldn't know who Gary Ablett Jnr is out there let alone this " Neville"

& if GWS had to pay this type of money just to get a no body like this
then heaven help them when they try to get even a half decent signing .. that maybe 10% of People in Western Sydney might know

this " madness " will put pressure on all clubs with regard to the salary cap ... it is going to get out of control & while the AFL continues to allow these new clubs to poach talent from other clubs by paying them massive overs .... struggling clubs in the AFL that are restricted .. so even if they could match the dollars .. they aren't allowed to , in Melbourne certainly .. will continue to struggle & there is no end in sight for them

what a mess the AFL is getting itself into :wink:
Last edited by Raiderdave on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onions
Has thanked: 0

Post by Onions »

Bullshit! The Crows didn't want him to go because they know how fucking good he is! But they couldn't come up with the moolah and stay under the fucking salary cap! This is a great sign up and could be as important on the field as Ablett Junior is to the fucking Suns. Because he can fucking play!! And great players attract fucking crowds! Even NRL fuck wits like you, Raider Boy, understand that fucking concept at least!!
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Onions wrote:
Bullshit! The Crows didn't want him to go because they know how ******* good he is! But they couldn't come up with the moolah and stay under the ******* salary cap! This is a great sign up and could be as important on the field as Ablett Junior is to the ******* Suns. Because he can ******* play!! And great players attract ******* crowds! Even NRL **** wits like you, Raider Boy, understand that ******* concept at least!!

& tell me how is this fair ?
the AFL is hampering its own clubs & their ability to keep their talent .. by allowing the new clubs to pay " stupid " money for players ... that as you said .. they can't match & not breach the cap
how is that a level playing field

how will clubs in the next 5 years that are near the bottom of the ladder now.. ever get out of the cellar when having to put up with this .. they're hands are tied. :?

Because there are NO AFL players in Western Sydney & the egotistcal AFL has to have a club there .. traditional clubs suffer & will continue to do so
you lot just sign up for memberships not even thinking about whats going on out there ... throwing good money away .. while the talent your club develops is stolen off you , & you can look forward to another wooden spoon & why :? .. just so the AFL can say they have 2 sides in Sydney

again .. why do you & your dopey fellow AFL fans put up with this cr@p ?
Truthsayer

Post by Truthsayer »

Mr Raider, I should remind you that the AFL salary cap is higher than that of the NRL and there have been many more defections to other clubs in your game than there have been in ours as a direct result. So to try and call an AFL club on throwing money around is rather hypocritical on your part.

I put it to you, Mr Raider, that why do you NRL supporters put up with your fellow fans not going to matches and keeping your attendance averages lower than the AFL?
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Truthsayer wrote:
Mr Raider, I should remind you that the AFL salary cap is higher than that of the NRL and there have been many more defections to other clubs in your game than there have been in ours as a direct result. So to try and call an AFL club on throwing money around is rather hypocritical on your part.

I put it to you, Mr Raider, that why do you NRL supporters put up with your fellow fans not going to matches and keeping your attendance averages lower than the AFL?
this isn't a comparison between codes truthslayer
I want to know why your dopey brainwashed fans allow the AFL to let the new clubs offer stupid money to players at the expense of existing clubs
ie to ignore the cap that every other club is bound by
like I said .. even if a club could find the money to keep that player .. they can't because they are restricted.. while the new clubs aren't

if a player in the NRL goes to another club .. that new club is still bound by the cap
if they have to pay overs to get said player .. they also have to let established talent go to accomodate him.. & he goes back into the talent pool .. the comp is none the poorer

but in your codes stupid set up .... because there are NO AFL players in Western Sydney , .. it becomes a black hole sucking the depth out of the entire comp & all Clubs suffer as a result.. & the AFL is weakened with the standard dropping.
Like I said ... struggling clubs continuing to struggle & not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel
If GWS was held to the same cap .. they probably couldn't offer contracts lucrative enough to get any decent players .. the AFL knows this & has & will allow them to weaken the other clubs including the struggling ones further like poor old Adelaide ... & I ask you for what purpose ?

so the AFL can say they have a side in an area that doesn't want a team .. never asked for one .. won't watch them .. doesn't care about them

thats fair is it ?
its disgusting ... thats what it is :roll: :wink:
Truthsayer

Post by Truthsayer »

An equal playing field means one has to have money to create. For a club to be competitive it has to have players who can compete now. If it doesn't do that then it will be a long way behind and not be competitive. It has been a long time since we had a scoreline like Geelong's last weekend for this reason. GWS must have players who can play AFL now and this is why they are allowed to negotiate with players who are coming out of contract at the end of 2011. The Suns were given the same luxury in order to provide a competitive team, and they have done very well. Would you deny GWS the same opportunities? Yes you would because the only thing you want to see is GWS fail as their presence clearly frightens you as a die hard NRL fan who hates AFL with such passion that it affects your thought patterns.

I told Mr Eliagh he was sick. I place the same diagnosis on you.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Truthsayer wrote:
An equal playing field means one has to have money to create. For a club to be competitive it has to have players who can compete now. If it doesn't do that then it will be a long way behind and not be competitive. It has been a long time since we had a scoreline like Geelong's last weekend for this reason. GWS must have players who can play AFL now and this is why they are allowed to negotiate with players who are coming out of contract at the end of 2011. The Suns were given the same luxury in order to provide a competitive team, and they have done very well. Would you deny GWS the same opportunities? Yes you would because the only thing you want to see is GWS fail as their presence clearly frightens you as a die hard NRL fan who hates AFL with such passion that it affects your thought patterns.

I told Mr Eliagh he was sick. I place the same diagnosis on you.
the Suns have already weakend the AFL
GWS will do so further

if these places were not ready for the AFL .. If your code couldn't expand without killing the golden goose & harming the standard of the comp
then why should that be a problem for the fans of struggling clubs ... who will continue to do so because of your codes rampant ego

I'd be livid ... but your fans are too stupid to understand they're being taken for a ride :roll:
Last edited by Raiderdave on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onions

Post by Onions »

You're too fucking stupid to realise that there's more money in our game than yours! Gee I wonder why the fuck that is? Maybe because there are more people fucking interested in following it?? :twisted:
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Onions wrote:
You're too ******* stupid to realise that there's more money in our game than yours! Gee I wonder why the **** that is? Maybe because there are more people ******* interested in following it?? :twisted:
its got nothing to do with that you dribbler
it doesn't matter how much you've got

if one club is restricted
& one is not .. so can help themselves to the restricted clubs players by offering them money the restricted club can't

then how can a club compete
why do they & their fans have to continue to put up with being down the bottom of the ladder so GWS can field a side that will be plastered week in week out anyway

I mean I know they will continue to put up with it & continue to take up the @ss
because AFL fans are in the main ......morons :roll:
Onions

Post by Onions »

You're the fucking moron! You've got no fucking idea and you don't want to fucking know!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Onions wrote:
Bullshit! The Crows didn't want him to go because they know how ******* good he is! But they couldn't come up with the moolah and stay under the ******* salary cap! This is a great sign up and could be as important on the field as Ablett Junior is to the ******* Suns. Because he can ******* play!! And great players attract ******* crowds! Even NRL **** wits like you, Raider Boy, understand that ******* concept at least!!
And the kid is from Sydney. :wink:

Great buy with heaps of potential for GWS.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Onions wrote:
And the kid is from Sydney. :wink:

Great buy with heaps of potential for GWS.
Yes he'll be a household name in no time
with these types of signings ... to battle against your Benji Marshalls .. Jarrad Haynes ... & Ben Barbers ... the NRL has no chance 8-[ :_<> :(/ :_<> :(/ :_<> :(/
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

We know you fear us. :wink:
Onions

Post by Onions »

It shows in fucking searchlights!