Australian Cricket Selectors - A Joke.

Whether it be cricket, golf, basketball, tennis, boxing or any other sport - this is the place for you.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Australian Cricket Selectors - A Joke.

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

I've had enough.

Despite the difficulties that come with making selections from a group of players regarded as by far the best in the world, I believe the Australian Cricket Selectors (part. their methods of selection) have just completely lost the plot.

This continuous madness that is the "rotation policy" is nothing but a sign of disrespect to the history of the Australian team, direspect to the opposition, disrespect to the importance of the VB series, and disrespect to Cricket fans who fork out their hard-earned to watch the best players play. In addition, the idea of "resting" the world's most elite, fit, and talented players because they might suffer burn-out is absolutely rediculous and smells of arrogance and "soft-cockness". For crying out loud, these are professionals. When you add up the amount of days a year these guys are actually playing Cricket, you'll find it's peanuts.

This, in my opinion, is the best One-Day side Australia can pick at the moment:

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting (c)
Martyn
Clarke
Lehmann
Katich/Watson
Hogg
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

12th - Kasprowicz

If a bloke has a minor injury that could potentially get worse if he continued to play, then fine, rest him and get him back to 100% if possible. But this garbage about rotating players all the time is just poor sportsmanship and poor Cricket IMO, and it's cheating the fans.

Play your best team as often as possible.

I'm sure the players who are being rested would rather be out there playing for their country, and not complaining of fear of getting "burnt out". If they are, then maybe playing for Australia is something they shouldn't be doing, and the opportunity should be given to someone else who is busting their balls to play.

I fear that these actions by selectors won't be halted until teams start spanking Australia from pillar to post all of a sudden, showing the selectors that they aren't invincible and they should give the game the respect it deserves.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

Fair call, Dizzy, however the selectors would argue people with that view are ill-informed and unable to evaluate the selection complexities in the modern game (that's their story anyway!)

A few points come to mind on this issue:-

1. There was a near revolt in the Australian team 2 seasons ago about this system of "rotation" with players (such as Andrew Symonds) arguing that they were against it and it was a flawed system and that it could actually result in the best players losing confidence and form.

2. To balance this, the history of ODI's, particularly over the last 8-10 years demonstrates that more players are selected, experimentation occurs more frequently than tests over all of the ICC governed nations. So to cut a little bit of slack to selectors, they have a licence to be slightly more adventurous in selection processes, particularly when they are "home" series' and players at their disposal are numerous.

3. Yes, spectators do have the right to see the best possible players representing their country. With that in mind, however, how do these "fringe" players that selectors call up to represent us at the moment line up with the top players from West Indies, Pakistan and indeed other weaker nations? Pretty well I'd suggest. So while we should have the best, shouldn't we also be playing the best? With that in mind, shouldn't the tri-series involve Australia A? You could argue strongly our best 2 one day sides would still be the best 2 sides in the world!!!

4. I have no respect for the credibility of selectors. Historically, they have made poor choices and been following their own agendas for nigh on 80 years. Even the great Don Bradman made a bollocks of his role as a selector!

That said, c'mon Aussie, c'mon! :lol: