Who is Phil Gould

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
AFL Warrior
Captain
Captain
Team: Collingwood
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Who is Phil Gould

Post by AFL Warrior »

Was having a bit of a laugh in the Sydney paper where some person named Gould thinks the nrl will defeat the AFL in Western Sydney. It is apparent that the issue of mental health has been ignored in NSW if they think the AFL is worried about a little thing called nrl.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

Gould should worry about his precious Panthers, who have the lowest average home attendance in the NRL.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
rick-james
Team:

Post by rick-james »

AFL will always exist in West Sydney, but they'll always be number 3 or 4. Just like the Storm in Melbourne.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

TLPG wrote:
Gould should worry about his precious Panthers, who have the lowest average home attendance in the NRL.
Which will be double that of GWS in a few years

:wink:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

If Rick is right, West Sydney will beat Penrith.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

TLPG wrote:
then Rick is wrong
& you misunderstood what he was saying anyway

he was saying 3rd or 4th sport in Western Sydney

League
Soccer
Union

Daylight
more daylight

netball
Cricket
indoor cricket
lawn bowls

AFL :cool:

thats 10th :wink:
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Hammerhead wrote:
That is an incredibly delusional prediction that will not come to pass. It may be better if you put away your crystal ball, Raiderdave, because it is clearly out of order.
well I just tried it on an 8 ball

" will the AFL succeed in Western Sydney ? "

was
all signs point to no
the answer

no it was
Edited by TLPG: Removed personal attack
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Raiderdave wrote:
TLPG wrote:
then Rick is wrong
& you misunderstood what he was saying anyway

he was saying 3rd or 4th sport in Western Sydney
I understood. You just twisted it to make it look better for you.

Penrith is the worst drawing club in the NRL. AFL has had a presence at local level for almost as long as the Swans have been in Sydney. It has it's local HQ in Blacktown which is Penrith territory.

The most popular sport out there at present is probably soccer. Cricket would be second. At present judging by Penrith's RL attendances, I have to put AFL ahead of them. The Panthers need to get past the Suns before I'll admit that RL is winning in the west of Sydney.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
rick-james
Team:

Post by rick-james »

TLPG, mate, I live in the Penrith/Blacktown region. AFL will never ever be number 1.
Even the kids who play soccer, their heroes are NRL players! They play soccer because theyre parents choose to because Rugby League is a rough sport and the Pacific Islander kids are alot bigger.
Now im not kidding myself either, AFL will grow out here and parents will see it as a sport similar to soccer and enrol their kids.
But the fact is Rugby League players will always capture their imaginations, players like Billy Slater, Benji Marshall, Jarryd Hayne and Michael Jennings. Players who the AFL's equivalent dont offer anything but jumping high and kicking goals.

You take your best AFL player at his absolute best, take one of the guys I mentioned and I guarentee you a kid will be "wowed" by the NRL player.

AFL can exist but never will it be number 1.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

rick-james wrote:
TLPG, mate, I live in the Penrith/Blacktown region. AFL will never ever be number 1.
Even the kids who play soccer, their heroes are NRL players! They play soccer because theyre parents choose to because Rugby League is a rough sport and the Pacific Islander kids are alot bigger.
Now im not kidding myself either, AFL will grow out here and parents will see it as a sport similar to soccer and enrol their kids.
But the fact is Rugby League players will always capture their imaginations, players like Billy Slater, Benji Marshall, Jarryd Hayne and Michael Jennings. Players who the AFL's equivalent dont offer anything but jumping high and kicking goals.

You take your best AFL player at his absolute best, take one of the guys I mentioned and I guarentee you a kid will be "wowed" by the NRL player.

Rick , they don't understand
TPLG would tell you he knows more about your back yard then you .. who lives there does

AFL is played all ova Sydney
some people can;t play league .. it is a brutal & its a sport not for whimps
so these play soccer or AFL
but when it comes to the stars .. the players the kids want autographs from .. who they want to watch on TV
its the NRL stars you've mentioned .. do the kids talk AFL in the schoolyard
they wouldn't know more then 2 players

hey Rick
going to the derby in a few weeks ?
ah yes Penrith V Parramatta
Hindy's 300th ...
if you are get there early .. they'll be squeezing the last of the 23K in at about 6pm before closing the gates .. with probably thousands outside who'll have to watch it at Panthers Leagues or at home

me thinks .. GWS & its fans won't ever have to contend with that :wink:
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

AFFP wrote:
rick-james wrote:

Put Gary Ablett Senior against Mal Meninga and get back to us.
are you serious
Mal Meninga in his prime ( 108 Kgs & could run 100M in 12 seconds )would snap Ablett in half ..

the kids would go wow then :shock:
followed by calling an ambulance :_<> :(/
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Oh you don't know how tough Gary Ablett Senior was!! I call that one even myself.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by MarkZZZ »

Oh dear AFFP, do you realy want to put Ablett Snr up as an icon for the AFL.

Off-field controversies

Ablett has also had well-documented off-field problems, particularly with illegal drug use and depression. In 1990 Ablett was placed on a $10,000 good behaviour bond after he pleaded guilty to repeatedly hitting a man he found sitting in a car with his estranged wife.

In 2000 Ablett became involved in controversy when a nineteen-year old Geelong woman, Alicia Horan, died of a drug overdose (heroin, ecstasy and amphetamines) while in Ablett's hotel room. After a prolonged period of refusing to answer police questions – Ablett stating he had "received pressure from certain avenues not to give all the facts" – he admitted to providing Horan with heroin and other drugs, which he took with her. Ablett was charged with four drug offences to which he pleaded guilty and was convicted and fined $1500.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Ablett,_Sr.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Introducing off field issues to try and undermine how tough the man was in his prime is pretty low of you, Mark. Anyway, I thought the idea was to demonstrate toughness. If we want to talk icons that's another kettle of fish entirely.

Let's try Ted Whitten and Wally Lewis then.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by MarkZZZ »

AFFP wrote:
rick-james wrote:

Put Gary Ablett Senior against Mal Meninga and get back to us.
My reply was in reply to this TLPG. It does not say its a comparison of toughness. It is about who would wow the kids. As a parent I don't think I would like to have someone like Ablett Snr as someone to be held up as a good example in any way for my sport.

Now if you want to talk toughness I will put in John Sattler as one of the all time tough men in Rugby League.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sattler

The Legendary 1970 Grand Final
John Sattler playing for Souths in the 1970 grand final against Manly with his broken jaw evidentIn the premiership decider of 1970 South Sydney were up against the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles at the Sydney Cricket Ground on 19 September. Having lost the previous Grand Final to the Balmain Tigers, Souths were desperate to win. Approximately ten minutes into the game Sattler collapsed after being punched by Manly forward John Bucknall. He suffered a double fracture to his jaw but pleaded to team mate Mike Cleary, "Hold me up so they don't know I'm hurt". He was helped up and continued to play in the game. At half time Souths were leading 12–6 when his fellow team mates learnt about his injury.

During the interval he refused treatment and insisted he continue playing. He also told the side, "the next bloke who tries to cut me out of the play is in trouble," to prevent his team mates trying to protect him from further injury. At the end of the game South Sydney had scored 3 tries to nil in a 23–12 victory. He later went to hospital to receive treatment but only after receiving the Giltinan Shield and making an acceptance speech.