Who is Phil Gould

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

That's tough, Mark, no doubt. How about this one? From the Wikipedia article on Dermott Brereton;

Perhaps the most memorable moment of his career was the 1989 VFL Grand Final that was featured in a Toyota Memorable Moments television commercial. In one of the toughest grand finals in the league's history, Brereton was lined up at the centre bounce by Geelong Football Club's Mark Yeates and hit with a solid shirtfront. Severely winded and concussed, he was attended to by trainers. He began to vomit before jogging back into the play. Only minutes later in the game, he marked and kicked an inspirational goal. He would finish with three goals in a game that Hawthorn would win by six points. He was later diagnosed with broken ribs.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
rick-james
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by rick-james »

Both a whole lot tougher than we are and deserve respect.
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:
Has thanked: 0

Post by MarkZZZ »

Yep that's right both codes have tough men. I was at the game back in 1970 and the way Sattler played in that game was just fantastic. Don't forget though Rugby League is a more physically demanding game. A tackle in AFL is nothing compared to a tackle in Rugby League. I don't recall if you said that you watched the SOO there where some hard legal hits in that game, as there is in every Rugby League game.

Can you explain to me what is the purpose of a Melee, to me it always look like a bunch of Irish dances with the choreography gone wrong. It looks like they want to get stuck into it but desperately trying to hold back.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

That's because if they do get stuck in they'll be suspended for at least four weeks. Having said that I'd like to see you tell Brereton he wasn't hit hard by Yeates in the example I gave. One of the great shots in the history of our great game is the shirtfront. There have been some beauties that would even impress the hardest thugby supporter. A couple of examples;

Stan Magro on Alex Jesaulenko
Ray Card on Keith Greig
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by MarkZZZ »

I did actually know that the reason they don't get stuck into it is that they would get penalised and possibly suspended if they threw a punch but to me it just looks so funny.

Like I said both codes have tough men playing their respective games but hard legal hits are week in week out in the NRL and in every game.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

If you're live at the game you'll see some pretty good hits in AFL as well. Good shepherds are where you'll find most of them, and TV only occasionally picks them up on the live showing. That's why AFL isn't a TV game as such. Heck, every game I've umpired has had some decent hits - although some of them I've had to penalise because the ball was too far away or the shoulder hit the chin (too high).
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Who is Phil Gould

Post by Beaussie »

AFL Warrior wrote:
Was having a bit of a laugh in the Sydney paper where some person named Gould thinks the nrl will defeat the AFL in Western Sydney. It is apparent that the issue of mental health has been ignored in NSW if they think the AFL is worried about a little thing called nrl.
Must admit I had to LOL when I saw the article you mentioned in the Daily Telegraph. How paranoid of the AFL is the NRL. Exihibit 1, Gould complaining about GWS and the AFL sending a personalised letter to Auskick participants encouraging them to remain active in sports. Penrith Panthers are clearly in all sorts of trouble with the arrival of GWS in the AFL.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Re: Who is Phil Gould

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
AFL Warrior wrote:
Was having a bit of a laugh in the Sydney paper where some person named Gould thinks the nrl will defeat the AFL in Western Sydney. It is apparent that the issue of mental health has been ignored in NSW if they think the AFL is worried about a little thing called nrl.
Must admit I had to LOL when I saw the article you mentioned in the Daily Telegraph. How paranoid of the AFL is the NRL. Exihibit 1, Gould complaining about GWS and the AFL sending a personalised letter to Auskick participants encouraging them to remain active in sports. Penrith Panthers are clearly in all sorts of trouble with the arrival of GWS in the AFL.
where does it say it was to Auskick participants ?

& why did they need a letterdrop ... doesn't anyone know anything about AFL in western Sydney ?

it would seem they don't :wink:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

They obviously do otherwise Gould wouldn't have felt the need to say anything.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:

Post by Grim Reaper »

And the question remains...who is Phil Gould?
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

TLPG wrote:
do need to letter drop

oh .. how sad :wink:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Huh??? #-o
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Raiderdave wrote:
TLPG wrote:
do need to letter drop

You say sad, yet Gould complains and demands a meeting with the NRL to counteract the AFL's letter drop. Why such fear amongst the NRL and its officials? The NRL is "unshakeable" in its heartland I thought you mentioned in another thread??? :?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Yes I agree Beaussie, I have no idea why there would be any fear amongst NRL officials.

The sport is continuing to flourish in its heartland so they're all doing a fine job in my opinion. :)

To make a random yet relevant comparison I'd have to say Gould is more intelligent than say Eddie Macguire :)

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
TLPG wrote:
do need to letter drop

You say sad, yet Gould complains and demands a meeting with the NRL to counteract the AFL's letter drop. Why such fear amongst the NRL and its officials? The NRL is "unshakeable" in its heartland I thought you mentioned in another thread??? :?
gould would complain if he were getting a BJ from Jennifer Hawkins

& there is not fear
but focus from our clubs ..... all the AFL have done by venturing into our heartland
is wake the sleeping beast

GWS will be beast pooh soon enough :wink: :cool: