Which code is more multicultural, AFL or NRL?

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Which code is more multicultural, AFL or NRL?

Post by King-Eliagh »

Would have to say the NRL has managed to tap into the multicultural market in terms of fans and players far better than the AFL. Dont know why as Melbourne is a fairly multiculutral city also...

In any case the AFL will need to pick up their game with GWS basing itself in one of the most multicultural areas in the world.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

AFL by a mile. NRL doesn't have anyone from Ireland or Africa (several countries). I've umpired many Vietnamise (never seen any play thugby) and I've seen a few Pakistanis recently as well. In fact I've seen a wide range of nationalities in my time.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Have you ever been to a Bulldogs Eels match TLPG? The vast majority of the crowd is not anglo.

I've reffed Rugby League matches with several Asian nations represented and I'm sure Rugby League/NRL has had players from Ireland (although I would not really think Ireland represents 'multicultural' anymore) and Africa as well as Papua New Guinea, all the Pacific Islands, Maltese, Lebanese, Italian, etc etc. the list goes on. AFL has Ireland and Africa making it multicultural? :lol:

Try harder TLPG, I know you dont wanna lose this one :wink:

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

The Australian Government clearly see the AFL as leading the way and as such has appointed Vlad as the chair of the advisory council.
Australian Multicultural Advisory Council (AMAC)

The Australian Multicultural Advisory Council was officially launched by the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Senator Chris Evans, on 17 December 2008 in Melbourne. The government has reappointed the council for a second term from 1 July 2010 to 30 June 2012.

The chair of the council is Mr Andrew Demetriou, the Chief Executive Officer of the Australian Football League

http://www.immi.gov.au/about/stakeholde ... sory/amac/
Not surprising that there are no NRL representatives on the Australian Multicultural Advisory Council.

And wow, look at all the programs and initiatives the AFL is undertaking just in NSW/ACT. Don't see the NRL doing any programs like this in NSW/ACT let alone anywhere else in the country. Probably got no money for these types of programs and initiatives. :lol:

http://www.aflnswact.com.au/index.php?id=156

Oh and check out the GWS launch ad for further evidence of the AFL embracing multicultural communities. Stirring stuff I must say.

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

As SBS even says, it shows the AFL's true standing as a multicultrual sport.

TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Beau you notice that KE went to crowds to try and prove NRL was multicultural? If we wanted to go that way - EVERY sport is multicultural for crying out loud!

And I'll bet that KE's reffing experience in thugby comes from social games. Asians play soccer first usually, and AFL is next in the chute.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Gotta love Vlad. What an inspirational choice by the Australian Government for Multicultural Advisory Council Chairman. :thumbleft:

King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

All I can say is have a look at the players on the field folks and the answer is simple.

Rugby League doesnt need some bloke on the mulcultural advisory committee! Thats just Vlad doing his normal thing, trying to get, and I quote from his 10 point plan from some years ago, "every young Australian male playing the game", or something like that. A complete crock if you ask me.

Rugby League does it naturally and always has.

Once again, just look at the players on the field. No need to follow Beaussies, Vlad's and TLPG's tripe, the evidence is on the pitch, week in week out. :cool:

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

If the evidence is on the pitch/field, then the AFL is winning again. I've seen it personally at all levels of AFL.

TBH, neither AFL or NRL can do it naturally. The only "sport" that does it naturally is soccer, simply because it's so safe - too safe for me but anyway.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

I honestly don't think you watch much of the AFL KE when you come up with ridiculous posts like that above regarding players on the field in the respective codes. You're a plonker, no doubt about it. #-o
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Ahhh care to look at the club lineups rather than inside your malfunct memory TLPG?

And your dribble about soccer and safety is ridiculous. It may be more due to historical reasons and sydney being historically a more multicultural city. It is probably also due to RL being played in many more nations than AFL. It is probably many reasons. Fact is RL doesnt need to try and promote multiculturalism as the AFL obviously needs to. VLad on the MC advisory committee :lol:

Please, please for the sake of God or the King just compare any AFL team lineup with any NRL team lineup, look at the names and the faces and you will see which sport is more multicultural. :|

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Ahhh care to look at the club lineups rather than inside your malfunct memory TLPG?

And your dribble about soccer and safety is ridiculous. It may be more due to historical reasons and sydney being historically a more multicultural city. It is probably also due to RL being played in many more nations than AFL. It is probably many reasons. Fact is RL doesnt need to try and promote multiculturalism as the AFL obviously needs to. VLad on the MC advisory committee :lol:
Sydney historically multicultural?? You haven't seen suburbs like Coburg, Brunswick, Preston, Nunawading, Box Hill, Footscray, Sunshine.....the list is endless! When I worked I was surrounded by multiple people from many European and Asian countries! Believe me I know the multiculture when I see it.

History has nothing to do with it. How much promotion does soccer get in Australia outside of the Socceroos? In Melbourne it's all AFL. In Sydney it's a mixture of both NRL and AFL, with probably NRL doing more time (I admit that), but the point is soccer barely gets a look in. That's partly why we never got the World Cup (thank bloody goodness!).
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

History has to do with everything you twit. Where do you think all the masses of migrants entered this country during the 20th century?

Working with an idiot here.

And stop trying to twist things like usual TLPG. Have you compared any AFL and LEague team yet like I asked?

This thread is titled "Which code is more multicultural AFL or NRL" in case you forgot. So look at AFL and NRL players and get back to me because you are going well off topic here and prob deserve to have your posts deleted.

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Migrants entered the country from all ports you plonker. My neighbour for instance arrived in Fremantle. Now if I get some time I will compare team lists. Got any particular teams in mind?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Most migrants came into Sydney in waves.

Any teams will do Beaussie (: But lets start with say Sydney Swans (most multicultural city) versus say Townsville in RL. I havent looked at the sides but am pretty sure of myself :D

And hammerhead it does matter as a sport that has players from more cultures I believe is inevitably 'bettered' by this in many ways. To me the AFL needs to work on this area and I think Vlad agrees. The sport is very 'white'.

xman wrote: