State of Boredom

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by MarkZZZ »

Last time I saw the numbers there where a few more people in Sydney, Brisbane and regional parts of NSW and Qld than in Melbourne etc
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

TLPG wrote:
Raider, what part of "last in the ratings" didn't you understand re the State of Origin?
& what part of

" First in the ratings ..... nationally "

don't you understand :?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

MarkZZZ wrote:
Last time I saw the numbers there where a few more people in Sydney, Brisbane and regional parts of NSW and Qld than in Melbourne etc
Unlike the NRL, the AFL has a national spread of support in all states and territories with a growing supporter base in Sydney, Brisbane and regional parts of NSW and QLD. The AFL has done much better when it comes to expansion. No expansion clubs in the AFL have failed. Meanwhile in the NRL, Hunter gone, South Queensland gone, Central Coast gone, Adelaide gone, Perth gone, Gold Coast on attempt 3. You get the picture.
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by MarkZZZ »

I thought that this particular thread was about the SOO. It has been said that the SOO was boring and didn't rate highly (in Melbourne) so it somehow in their eyes was not a success. What I was pointing out was it rated highly and just because it didn't rate highly in Melbourne who cares? It rated high nationally.

Beau the thread is not about which game is played in more locations nationally at a senior level or about the success of teams that where created un-naturally during the era of Super League and obviously had no hope of joining the national league when things got back to normal. You get that picture
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Fair point MarkZZZ, however the State of Origin ratings in Melbourne well dreadful for prime time on a Wednesday night. Even more shocking in Adelaide and Perth. This highlights my point about the respective codes and national appeal.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

MarkZZZ wrote:
Let's be realistic, Mark. Take out the regionals for a start. They don't matter when it comes to the big decisions like advertising revenue and as a consequence broadcast deals.

Then add Adelaide and Perth to Melbourne, and you have a win on population for the AFL heartland cities.

The point has already been made that the SOO was thrashed even with the amount of people it attracted in Sydney and it's usual haunts.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by MarkZZZ »

TLPG wrote:
MarkZZZ wrote:
Let's be realistic, Mark. Take out the regionals for a start. They don't matter when it comes to the big decisions like advertising revenue and as a consequence broadcast deals.

Then add Adelaide and Perth to Melbourne, and you have a win on population for the AFL heartland cities.

The point has already been made that the SOO was thrashed even with the amount of people it attracted in Sydney and it's usual haunts.
When are you going to accept facts TLGP

Have a look at the last two sentences

http://mediaweek.com.au/news/wednesday- ... ame-2.html

Big-time ratings relief for Nine last night as New South Wales managed to win the match and thereby making Game 3 a must-watch for football fans in rugby league states and increasing the change of a bigger audience nationally too.
Nine was a big network winner (30.5%) and was also well in front in Sydney (42.6%) and Brisbane (46.4%).
TEN won in Melbourne thanks in part to metro audiences of 1.60m watching MasterChef and then just under 1m choosing Glee.
Seven finished first in Adelaide and Perth. After Seven News and Today Tonight secured the first hour of primetime, Home and Away again made it over 1m. The numbers started to slip though with Highway Patrol close to 950k.
On the ABC, Spicks and Specks was down to 712,000 against the football and then Angry Boys dipped below 600,000.

This statement from Nine this morning:
Last night’s Game 2 of the 2011 Harvey Norman State of Origin Series steered Channel Nine to a massive ratings victory.
More than 3.9 million viewers watched the VB New South Wales Blues charge home to an 18-8 victory over the XXXX Queensland Maroons. The game recorded a peak audience of 3.944 million viewers (5 City Metro plus regional) and attracted an average audience of 3.410 million viewers (5 City Metro plus regional). The combined Total People audience was up 5% in audience on Game 2 of the 2010 Origin Series.
A peak audience of 2.455 million viewers (Total People) watched the game in the 5 City Metro, with an average audience of 2.160 million tuning in (5 City Metro – Total People).
State of Origin Game 2 was the No.1 program of the night across all demos - Total People, People 25-54, People 18-49 and People 16-39 in the 5 City Metro, along the East Coast, in Sydney and in Brisbane.
In Sydney, the game attracted a peak audience of 1.156 million viewers (Total People) and was the most-watched program of the night with an average audience of 1.018 million viewers – up 7% in audience on Game 2 of the 2010 Origin series. Game 2 secured a massive 57.2% audience share in Sydney.
The match, post-match program and the pre-match show claimed the top three spots of the night in Sydney.
In Brisbane, Nine’s coverage drew a peak audience of 838,000 (Total People), secured an average audience of 775,000 and a huge 63.8% audience share. Game 2, the pre-match program and the post-match show were the night’s three most-watched programs respectively in Brisbane.
In Melbourne, more than 359,000 viewers (Total People peak audience) tuned in to watch Nine’s coverage of Game 2 and it secured an average audience of 291,000.
The result drove Channel Nine to a commanding victory for Wednesday night with the Nine Network winning the night in the 5 City Metro (Total People) with a 35.2% share. It was also a winner along the East Coast (39.1%), in Sydney (45.8%) and in Brisbane (50.3%).
The Nine Network was also first with People 25-54 in the 5 City Metro (37.2%), along the East Coast (40.8%), in Sydney (48.5%) and in Brisbane (48.4%).
Origin 2 secured an average of 1.249 million viewers in regional areas, up 17% in audience on Game 2 of the 2010 State of Origin Series.
The pre-match Origin coverage averaged 1.388 million viewers (Total People) across the 5 City Metro. The post-match wrap-up averaged 1.315 million viewers in the 5 City Metro.
It screened live along the East Coast and in Tasmania and the Northern Territory, and on delay in South Australia and Western Australia.
Games 1 and 2 of the Harvey Norman State of Origin Series have attracted the highest audiences of any programs to date this year. They are ranked No.1 and No.2 programs respectively across all networks.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Mark, you are missing the point.
In Melbourne, more than 359,000 viewers (Total People peak audience) tuned in to watch Nine’s coverage of Game 2 and it secured an average audience of 291,000.
In other words, it got thrashed. Like Beau said.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Even worse in Adelaide and Perth TLPG. Diabolical in those markets.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Yes well Melbourne is the big ticket with the population base not far off Sydney. But you're right as well.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by MarkZZZ »

It's obvious you two are just not worth debating with. The gist of this thread was that SOO was boring and then some simpleton on this thread said it was not a ratings winner.

If you two cannot understand that it is clear that the SOO is the biggest show on TV in the entire country it means you are so one eyed that it is a hopeless case .

It has rated the highest of "any" show on TV in the "whole" of Australia this year. Not only the top show but the other game was the second highest ratings winner of "all" the TV shows in "whole" of Australia. What's the bet that the third game will make it the top three shows of "any" show in the "whole" of Australia this year.

I know it will mean nothing to you, you will come back with "but it didn't rate high in Melbourne or Adelaide or Perth or Walhalla."

The thing is it doesn't have to rate the highest everywhere. Give it time it will get there but for now it doesn't need these places to be number 1, 2 and 3 of the top rating TV shows of "ALL" TV shows in the "WHOLE" of Australia.

Do this for me. Stand up, look to the front of you, then look to the left and then the right, then do a 180 and have a good look around. You will realise there is more to the world than what you are currently seeing.
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by MarkZZZ »

Hammerhead, the point of this thread when is was started was that the SOO was boring and that it couldn't get sell out crowds. (A remark made by a AFL fan).

Sell out crowds was addressed earlier where it was pointed out that all 3 games of the SOO have been sold out. That's a fact all the tickets where sold.

The second point was also disproved when someone brought up that the SOO was not a ratings winner and it turned out that it was actually the best ratings of any shows this year. How can something be boring when so many tune in to watch it not once but twice, That is also a fact. (Predictions are for even higher ratings for game three.)

One thing I have noticed on this board is that the AFL followers seem to want to build the AFL up and believe that the way to do it is at the expense of the NRL but I see little, if any going back the other way. I have never denigrated the AFL, some people like it, it's their choice.

Lets stick to facts though, that's when I put my two cents worth in, that's when I feel I have to correct all these "off the top of the head" and false remarks.

The AFL can have all the success it can get. It's not the game for me, I have tried watching it but can't get into it. Unlike others on this board I don't put others preferred game down to try and make the game I prefer appear "better."
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Mark, I checked back to the OP and it may have been a bit over the top - because if there's one thing that does draw a sell out crowd it's SOO. That's why I left it alone unlike others on my side of the fence.

I jumped on though when TV ratings were mentioned, and I also made brief mention of the true meaning of State of Origin, where there has been some controversy in the NRL. Not to mention defending club footy crowds where the AFL beats the tar out of the NRL.

I read your last paragraph and I find that very hard to swallow. I'm not saying I don't believe you. I'm saying it's hard to understand why you would say "It's not the game for me". It's funny though because I feel the same way about thugby, and the fact that I call it that is one of the reasons.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Rugby League often has thrilling finishes, with matches in doubt right up to the final siren. what about your game?
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by MarkZZZ »

TLPG as we go through life we are introduced to many varied things. Some we like, some we don't. There are some things we like and for the life of us we can't understand why everyone in the world doesn't like what we like. There are others that make us shrug our shoulders and say WTF do these people see in that. That could be some types of food, music, sport or a myriad of other things.

You say its hard for you to swallow. I guess that's the difference between you and me. I am happy that you enjoy your sport as I enjoy mine. I don't care that you don't like mine but you think your game is so great that there has to be something wrong with me because I don't.

Lets make another comparison. Let's say I like blues music and you like opera. There's nothing to be gained by me telling you that your love of opera is wrong because opera is boring. It's what you like and you can have it. I would expect that you should feel the same way towards my love of blues.

By all means rave about your love of your preferred game and I will do the same about mine. Lets not get into some lame war where we have to put down the others preferred game just to score a point for "our side".