Fudgy League at it again with inflated crowd numbers

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Fudgy League at it again with inflated crowd numbers

Post by Beaussie »

Apparently there were 6,700 odd fans at CUA Stadium in Penrith on Monday night. Yeah right :roll:

Finally an NRL CEO admits what we have always known. NRL crowds numbers are commonly fudged.
Storm CEO claims crowd figures inflated
Stathi Paxinos
June 1, 2011

MELBOURNE Storm chief executive Ron Gauci has declared reported crowd figures are commonly inflated to make clubs look better - but not by the Storm this year.

Gauci was answering questions in relation to the Storm's past three home games at AAMI Park drawing less than 10,000. The games against Newcastle (9460), Canberra (9628) and Cronulla (9733) are traditionally among the less appealing to home crowds, but the appeal of a modern, purpose-built rectangular stadium and a team embarking on a year of redemption, have seemingly not helped.

However, Gauci said he was happy with attendances this year - crowds have averaged 12,744 over eight home games - and accused the previous administration, headed by former chief executives Brian Waldron and Matt Hanson, of inflating the figures. It was a practice, Gauci said, that commonly occurred in sporting clubs.

Both Waldron and Hanson declined to comment on the claims last night.

''I believe it's not isolated to Melbourne Storm or in fact the NRL,'' Gauci said.

''It was brought to my attention that most sporting clubs do that in terms of adjusting their numbers.

''We made it very clear when I arrived that we would record numbers as they are presented to us as an accurate reflection of the barcode scanned at the turnstyles.

''We record accurate numbers based on bar scans and as reported to us by Ticketek and then we'll be able to do better year-on-year comparisons in future years.''

An NRL spokesman said he did not accept that misrepresentation of crowd figures occurred. There were no plans to oversee the auditing of the numbers.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z1O1LrDZw3
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

And one wonders why the NRL lacks credibility across several quarters! This has never been a problem with the AFL, and the Storm are actually benefitting from that mentality with the turnstiles at Bubble Park showing the real mccoy.

Sydney were always slow on the update.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

I remember a few years back the Sydney Roosters in the NRL were caught out along with Parramatta. Common practice it seems in the NRL and like you say is it any wonder why the NRL lacks credibility.

Again the question remains, why don't NRL fans support their clubs by attending games?
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Because it translates well on TV and they stay at home and watch it there.

Same thing can't be said for the AFL. That's much better live.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Oh yeah, forgot about that, it's the tv ratings remember. Oh and don't forget the regionals. :(/
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Does the NRL get a cut of the deal with Fox Sports? :>::
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

LOL, News Ltd (owners of Fox Sports) own the NRL.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Why do you think I whistled? :twisted:
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra
Been liked: 0

Re: Fudgy League at it again with inflated crowd numbers

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Apparently there were 6,700 odd fans at CUA Stadium in Penrith on Monday night. Yeah right :roll:

Finally an NRL CEO admits what we have always known. NRL crowds numbers are commonly fudged.
Storm CEO claims crowd figures inflated
Stathi Paxinos
June 1, 2011

MELBOURNE Storm chief executive Ron Gauci has declared reported crowd figures are commonly inflated to make clubs look better - but not by the Storm this year.

Gauci was answering questions in relation to the Storm's past three home games at AAMI Park drawing less than 10,000. The games against Newcastle (9460), Canberra (9628) and Cronulla (9733) are traditionally among the less appealing to home crowds, but the appeal of a modern, purpose-built rectangular stadium and a team embarking on a year of redemption, have seemingly not helped.

However, Gauci said he was happy with attendances this year - crowds have averaged 12,744 over eight home games - and accused the previous administration, headed by former chief executives Brian Waldron and Matt Hanson, of inflating the figures. It was a practice, Gauci said, that commonly occurred in sporting clubs.

Both Waldron and Hanson declined to comment on the claims last night.

''I believe it's not isolated to Melbourne Storm or in fact the NRL,'' Gauci said.

''It was brought to my attention that most sporting clubs do that in terms of adjusting their numbers.

''We made it very clear when I arrived that we would record numbers as they are presented to us as an accurate reflection of the barcode scanned at the turnstyles.

''We record accurate numbers based on bar scans and as reported to us by Ticketek and then we'll be able to do better year-on-year comparisons in future years.''

An NRL spokesman said he did not accept that misrepresentation of crowd figures occurred. There were no plans to oversee the auditing of the numbers.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z1O1LrDZw3
it was 5700 at Penrith
& what would Ron Gauci know ?

didn't that last Victorian weasel who doctored the books say all NRL clubs cheat the cap
yet couldn't offer or provide an ounce of proof

same here people , just another loud mouthed victorian shooting his gob off with as per usual no substance to what he is saying ... if dribblers want to believe everything they read & hear
then the yeti is alive & well , & the Loch Ness Monster is due to wash up on a shoreline anytime soon now :roll: :roll: :roll:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Hmmm yes, well said Raider. It has to be somewhat evidence based for me to really believe it. Especially since I've noticed these two clowns delivering innacurate afl propaganda on many occassions before.

Beaussie is btw from nsw not victoria and TLPG...well the guy cant see beyond his own existence so I'm thinking he's from an unknown island, population 1, the lovechild of some pirate with one eye and perhaps a yeti. You just never know. :?

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Raiderdave wrote:
it was 5700 at Penrith
& what would Ron Gauci know ?

didn't that last Victorian weasel who doctored the books say all NRL clubs cheat the cap
yet couldn't offer or provide an ounce of proof

same here people , just another loud mouthed victorian shooting his gob off with as per usual no substance to what he is saying ... if dribblers want to believe everything they read & hear
then the yeti is alive & well , & the Loch Ness Monster is due to wash up on a shoreline anytime soon now :roll: :roll: :roll:
The reason he couldn't provide proof was because the Sydney clubs closed ranks to protect themselves. Reality is that if all the clubs stuck hard and fast to the salary cap, there would be more Hunts and Folaus jumping ship - and they know it. If the NRL want to stop that from happening they need to raise the cap and compete.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Raiderdave wrote:
it was 5700 at Penrith
So it was 5,700. Oh dear, even worse than we thought.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

AFFP wrote:
Penrith is the NRL version of Fitzroy. Tick tock tick tock.......
AFFP is another version of Beaussie, it's just a matter of time before he gets bored of logging in as an alias,

Tick tock tick tock

xman wrote:
Onions
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Onions »

When the numbers go against you, scream tricks. #-o
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

You're just a little new to be so 'up with it' aren't you 'Onions'? Numbers going against me doesnt phase me one bit. I'm more concerned about the agenda at play here and the sudden influx of numbers joining on the same day and voting in a poll of mine.

It's cut and dry. Crystal clear that onions AFFP and player are all as dodgy as a catholic priest on confirmation day.

xman wrote: