The Changing Nature of Violence in Rugby League and AFL

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.

Should natural violence be accepted in AFL and NRL

Yes, there's nothing better than players going toe to toe in the heat of battle
42%
No, I prefer they wouldn't hit each other at all
58%

Total votes: 24

King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

The Changing Nature of Violence in Rugby League and AFL

Post by King-Eliagh »

Dear All,

I hope you have enjoyed the wonderful scenes presented on the fine youtube clip I have attached for you. I've used it as a focussing tool to ask you all what you think about how violence has changed in AFL and Rugby League. Please take the time to read my analysis below before adding your vote to the poll.

You see I believe violence is innate in humans and animals alike and, although I detest it in many of its forms, I think it is fantastic in organised sport, where people can watch and be entertained by violence occurring in a contained atmosphere by men who are passionate about their team winning.

Unfortunately the scenes above no longer occur in the AFL. And on the Trengove ruling recently we may see the art of tackling wiped out soon too. AFL has definitely gone through the most drastic rule changes in regards to violence but Rugby League has changed dramatically and for the worse too.

But are these rule changes actually taking violence out of the game? I say no. There are many forms of violence, you have physical, mental and sexual to name a few. John Hopoate was perhaps the most famous proponent of sexual violence on the field by utilising his digits in a way TLPG is very familiar with. His antics occurred not long after rules in Rugby League were tightened in regards to on field fighting...

In the AFL I have noticed another and perhaps more sinister form of violence occurring on many occassions over the last few years. The first I saw was a quite vicious attack by several Lions players on Nick Reiwolts injured shoulder. It was actually not dissimilar to a pack of lions toying with a gazelle who'd had it's shoulder mutilated. Just awful. And this has been going on and on lately in the AFL, especially after the siren sounds when the state of play appears to be lawless.

I think we need to have a very good look at the rules of the game and bring back the legitimacy of on field fighting. The fans love it and the players dont have to resort to other, more sinister forms of violence.

:|

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Thuggery on the field is not football. You want to watch that, go to the boxing not the football.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

Couldn't have said that better, Beau!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Perhaps then both of you should be watching a different sport then...

As I've suggested 'thuggery' in the AFL has reached a particularly nasty level at the moment. Something needs to be done and I think we need to lighten the rules on fighting (not thuggery) so that players can release their aggression in more traditional and fair ways.

:>::

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

You're a fool. Get your nose out of AFL and concentrate on your precious NRL.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Looks like the polls are even on this one TLPG :lol:

Maybe not so cut and dry as you state :wink:

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

You're calling a poll with four votes an credible poll?? *ROTFLMAO*
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

now 5 votes, and the yes is on top! =D>

And this is a poll in which you vote and comment on TLPG :lol:

Nice

:afro:

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

TLPG :wave:

I bet you really thought you had me with this one, and to be honest for a second I thought you did...but once again you've only come out with hot air, as usual.

Let me explain. :)

Firstly, if you wanted to use this article to argue that AFL is tougher than league then why have you put it in my thread on the changing nature of violence in Rugby League and AFL??? You should have placed this article in my thread on why AFL and RU players dont convert to Rugby League. In this thread I argue how League is a tougher sport than the other two. #-o

Secondly, did you read the article? I'm thinking not. I think you've just looked at the heading right?? :) As is often the case the heading does not represent the true meaning of the article or Karmichael's quote very well. Karmichael is referring to AFL being 'tougher' than Rugby League because it is "so complex" as his entire quote below illustrates.

''And it's [AFL] just so complex. Staying ahead of the play. I just really respect the guys who can do that. I would say it's tougher than rugby league where you can be outside the play having a rest.''

In this respect and the outcome of him being quoted in the title as he was, I'm sure he would have preferred to use the words "more difficult" than tougher...

Nice try though TLPG :wave:

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

More difficult, tougher, it all boils down to the same thing. You have to think to be a good AFL player.

Not an essential requirement for thugby!

A thinking man's game does not require violence to get over. That's the reason for the link being here.

But of course I have to explain it to Mr No-Brain KE don't I?
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Hahaha, nice find TLPG. :P
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Your link does not belong in this thread TLPG. It's quite plain and simple. This thread is on the "CHANGING NATURE OF VIOLENCE IN AFL AND NRL" :shock:

Not on the level of complexity/thinking required in League and AFL, dimwit.

3 votes to 2 :\:

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

You just proved yet again that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I'm sorry TLPG, this thread is on the "Changing nature of violence in AFL and Rugby League"

I could try reading between the lines which I think is what you're suggesting but reading between your lines is like watching Joffa mate with a cat. It's just not enjoyable, interesting or recommended. :)

xman wrote: