AFL vs NRL - the TV war

Discuss the footy industry, crowds, tv ratings, memberships, sponsorships and the finances of all Australian football codes and clubs
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra
Been liked: 0

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
TLPG wrote:
Why not now like the AFL, Raider? Why wait until 2013?

Why would Channel 9 wait for a new contract when they can already broadcast all Storm games live in Melbourne now? They must be mad.... yeah? Or are you making things up again? When you post rubbish like that, you have no credibility.
Raiderdave wrote:
they still drew bigger numbers then a team that has been forced down the throats of sydneysiders at prime time ... for decades
Stop exageratting. It was 1,000 more viewers for the top of table Storm winning easily against the Tigers (86,000) whilst the Swans were being belted by the Blues (85,000).

http://www.talkingfooty.com/tv_ratings_2011.php

Fair dinkum, big numbers aye? Yeah ok. :roll:
I said Ch 9 Melbourne are starting to wake up
they're showing more Storm games then they ever have cos the Ratings are going up each time , so maybe they won't wait for any claus that forces them to continue to shwo more Storm games to Melbournes ever growing numer of League fans ... & they'll also be quite accomodating when the next TV deal comes in ...& it won't cost us anywhere near as much as it costs the AFL forcing broadcasters to put their product on up here.

those numbers for the Swans were quite high ... way above the norm
there is no norm for the Storm as yet , but when there after a few years of consistent coverage at decent times , it will be conservatively double the Swans ratings
their numbers just keep going up ... & up .... & up

the Swans numbers continue to go down , face it hardly anyone cares ... they're a joke .. a sad .. sad .. joke :cool:
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

When the Sydney supporters realise that their team is going to make the eight, it'll jump up again.

It's going to cost the NRL MORE to get the Storm on in Melbourne, without News Limited on board. Guess why? Because it DOESN'T rate, and as has been pointed out there have been no howls of protest. Unlike the howls of protest against Prime in Canberra and the Riverina.

Nine aren't waking up. They know what's going on!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Unfortunately I believe the majority Sydney supporters are Chardonnay sipping wankers who dont know the game. I'd bet they have the most transient bunch of supporters in the league. Typically folk who simply turn up for something different ton do.

And even those with memberships are a bloody disgrace. This year against Carlton I was in the Swans members section and the pair of louts next to me were shouting and screaming without any clue about the actual game. They were even calling the umpires "Ref" :lol: They deserved the cane and their skulls cracked together.

All this backs up what Raiderdave, enarelle and pussycat are on about. The game just doesnt have that much relevance in Sydney. A shame because I love it but the Rugby League culture dominates the landscape. E.g. Swans member yelling "Comon Ref" :lol: I doubt they even knew the rules.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

TLPG wrote:
When the Sydney supporters realise that their team is going to make the eight, it'll jump up again.

It's going to cost the NRL MORE to get the Storm on in Melbourne, without News Limited on board. Guess why? Because it DOESN'T rate, and as has been pointed out there have been no howls of protest. Unlike the howls of protest against Prime in Canberra and the Riverina.

They made the 8 last year ... & since they played in 2 consecutive GF's in 2005, 2006 .. winning one .. have only missed the finals once

yet their KI's .. continue to plummet
TV ratings , crowds .. memberships

they may make the 8 this year... but no one will give 2 hoots :cool:

we've got lots of regular broadcasts of the Storm to come before the TV deal is finalised
the upward trend in ratings for them will continue .. ala all things League

we'll pay a fraction of what it costs the AFL
well done Storm boys ... well done :cool:
Onions
Has thanked: 0

Post by Onions »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Unfortunately I believe the majority Sydney supporters are Chardonnay sipping wankers who dont know the game. I'd bet they have the most transient bunch of supporters in the league. Typically folk who simply turn up for something different ton do.

And even those with memberships are a bloody disgrace. This year against Carlton I was in the Swans members section and the pair of louts next to me were shouting and screaming without any clue about the actual game. They were even calling the umpires "Ref" :lol: They deserved the cane and their skulls cracked together.

All this backs up what Raiderdave, enarelle and pussycat are on about. The game just doesnt have that much relevance in Sydney. A shame because I love it but the Rugby League culture dominates the landscape. E.g. Swans member yelling "Comon Ref" :lol: I doubt they even knew the rules.
Members of all AFL clubs don't know the rules, Queen E! What a girlish argument! Chardonnay? :lol:
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Beaussie wrote:
pussycat wrote:
Wasn't the Swans belted by re-runs of the Iron Chef on SBS?
Isn't every broadcast of an NRL game and Rugby League's pinnacle State of Origin belted by every other program when broadcast into Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth? Hmmm and you still think you'll get a billion. Delusional comes to mind. :(/
No , not everyone . Where starting to make some ground. Certainly in 3 decades that wont be the case :wink:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Raiderdave wrote:
TLPG wrote:

They made the 8 last year ... & since they played in 2 consecutive GF's in 2005, 2006 .. winning one .. have only missed the finals once

yet their KI's .. continue to plummet
TV ratings , crowds .. memberships

they may make the 8 this year... but no one will give 2 hoots :cool:

we've got lots of regular broadcasts of the Storm to come before the TV deal is finalised
the upward trend in ratings for them will continue .. ala all things League

we'll pay a fraction of what it costs the AFL
well done Storm boys ... well done :cool:
Plummet? It's still winning the numbers war even with the drop - and note that the average attendance for the Swans is still well above 20K. And it will rise this weekend when the Swans play Collingwood at Homebush.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

pussycat wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
pussycat wrote:
Wasn't the Swans belted by re-runs of the Iron Chef on SBS?
Isn't every broadcast of an NRL game and Rugby League's pinnacle State of Origin belted by every other program when broadcast into Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth? Hmmm and you still think you'll get a billion. Delusional comes to mind. :(/
No , not everyone . Where starting to make some ground. Certainly in 3 decades that wont be the case :wink:
In 3 decades the NRL will have less clubs because unless they raise the salary cap players will switch to AFL. The AFL will have more clubs. Tassie will be there by then and so will Canberra. Likely there will also be a third team in Perth and maybe also Adelaide.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Onions wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:

Members of all AFL clubs don't know the rules, Queen E! What a girlish argument! Chardonnay? :lol:
:lol: That's a bloody disgrace ALL AFL clubs have members who dont know the rules then isnt it Beaussie!

And I wonder how many members of Rugby League clubs shout out during the game "comon umpire"! :lol:

I'd say the only place this might happen is with Melbourne Storm members!

AFL = Less relevant than NRL in Sydney. It's elementary dear Beaussie :wink:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Onions
Has thanked: 0

Post by Onions »

The girlish argument continues. Squealing tricks. I'll tell you, Queen E, that I ain't Beaussie. But you won't believe me will you?

Sit in the members area for any Melbourne club. You'll get just as many who don't know the rules! It's anti ump/ref as it has been for fucking generations!
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

TLPG wrote:
pussycat wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
In 3 decades the NRL will have less clubs because unless they raise the salary cap players will switch to AFL. The AFL will have more clubs. Tassie will be there by then and so will Canberra. Likely there will also be a third team in Perth and maybe also Adelaide.
Salary cap will rise from the present 4 million to 7 million as a result of the billion dollar plus we'll get from our next TV deal 2013-2017
so all present clubs will continue along with the addition of 2 more clubs sometime during this period .. Perth & a 2nd Brisbane side

no more players will want to .. or need to leave our game
our top players getting 50% more then they do now & our strict salary cap restrictions relaxed ie players can start to earn more from their intellectual property rights ... we'll have plenty on a million plus post 2013
& while the AFL is a circus at the best of times ... they aren't going to start paying double this to our stars ...( what they need to pay to attract them to sport that doesn't challenge them like league does )
so our vast talent pool will remain deep & strong

next deal 2018 to 2022
it will be Adelaide ( the return of the mighty rams ) & probably a 2nd Kiwi outfit on the sth island ... our TV deal will exceed the AFL's by the time the 2018 deal is negotiated based on our continued growth & our ever increasing lead over mongaball in overall veiwer numbers

the AFL will have abandoned GWS by then ... a disaster from day 1, reloacting them to Tasmania where bug eyed toothless mungoes watch them en masse ... giving them a few hours away from molesting their sisters is considered a positive for the state as the teen pregnency rate has dropped considerably
the Swans continue needing AFL assistance as do the Lions

the Suns are also on the brink ... having won just 4 games since their inception 2 of them ova GWS & seriously no one giving a rats to see the back of them anyway :cool:

the AFL has shelved plans for anymore expansion considering how badly they stuffed up the 2011/2012 round & how much it ending up costing them ... & finally realising that they're grand plans to take ova the world have fallen a bit short when you consider they couldn't even take over their own country :shock: 8-[ :>:: :-$

yep
thats how its gunna pan out
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

And you're wrong, because the NRL has to raise their salary cap anyway - and if they are relying on the proceeds of the broadcast deal to pay for it, they are doomed to fail! There is not enough interest in Perth or Adelaide for an NRL team, and there's not enough money in New Zealand for a second team - unless they drop a club in the Super 14! Heck, who's going to host the South Island team? Christchurch? They're going to be spending money on new infrastructure for goodness knows how long.

Suns on the brink? They've got a higher membership and average attendance than the Titans. A second Brisbane team has already been tried and failed. About the only thing you said there that was right was about West Sydney - although that swipe at Tassie was uncalled for. The Swans DON'T need AFL assistance. Neither do the Lions.

The AFL already have a presence in every state and territory in the country at state level and at local level. There are more total clubs and competitions across the country than the NRL could even dream of let alone achieve. We are growing in other countries. The world loves our game and will further embrace it as the years go on.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

TLPG wrote:
And you're wrong, because the NRL has to raise their salary cap anyway - and if they are relying on the proceeds of the broadcast deal to pay for it, they are doomed to fail! There is not enough interest in Perth or Adelaide for an NRL team, and there's not enough money in New Zealand for a second team - unless they drop a club in the Super 14! Heck, who's going to host the South Island team? Christchurch? They're going to be spending money on new infrastructure for goodness knows how long.

Suns on the brink? They've got a higher membership and average attendance than the Titans. A second Brisbane team has already been tried and failed. About the only thing you said there that was right was about West Sydney - although that swipe at Tassie was uncalled for. The Swans DON'T need AFL assistance. Neither do the Lions.

The AFL already have a presence in every state and territory in the country at state level and at local level. There are more total clubs and competitions across the country than the NRL could even dream of let alone achieve. We are growing in other countries. The world loves our game and will further embrace it as the years go on.
We'll spend our dough anyway we like ..... if we need to prop up clubs outside our heartland the way the AFL has .. does .. & always will have to .. then so will we
if we want to use the extra money from the TV deal to kep our stars .. then thats what we'll do
Perth is nearly ready to go ...
Adelaide not so much , but we're going back ... & I don't think an analysis on wether there is enough interest there from a peanut like you is going to change anyones mind .. theres ZERO interest in AFL in Western Sydney .. it hasn't stopped that lot from getting up & going albeit nearly all funded by the AFL .. we'll just do the same

& the last 2 times an NRL game has gone to Christchurch it has drawn bigger crowds then the Crusaders do .. by 2018 .. we may be there.

& the Suns may be new & shiny now .. they'll be as popular as a f@rt in an elevator by 2018
the Swans WILL need assistance by 2018 so will the Lions .. they're both penniless ATM , things are heading south .. its a logical conclusion.
& thus .. having a side in every state means .. well nothing :>::

no one plays or watches AFL with any seriousness outside of Australia ... :[] If you believe that tripe .. then you had also better start writing your letter to santa claus ... also be looking for leprechauns so they can give you their pot of gold ... & keep looking up ... a flying pig may just zoom by :roll:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

You didn't prop up the Reds or the Rams before. Ditto the Krushers for the record. So why would you now? The NRL has a history of fail (remember the Super League?) and you seem to think that money that would need to come from nowhere will save you. You no longer have the financial support of New Limited through the board. You have many more financial issues than the AFL does. We got $1.2 billion out of our broadcast rights. You wish you could get that much.

The Suns have more members than the Titans and have a higher average attendance. They will maintain that as the club improves and becomes more competitive on the field.

If no one played or watched AFL outside of Australia seriously - we wouldn't have an International Cup. Ireland won the first. New Zealand won the second. Papua New Guinea are the reigning champions. Ireland and South Africa took it seriously when I saw them compete for third place in 2008. Ditto Nauru and Canada for fifth.

Your post is berift of fact, and calling me names ("peanut") harms your credibility.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

TLPG wrote:
You didn't prop up the Reds or the Rams before. Ditto the Krushers for the record. So why would you now? The NRL has a history of fail (remember the Super League?) and you seem to think that money that would need to come from nowhere will save you. You no longer have the financial support of New Limited through the board. You have many more financial issues than the AFL does. We got $1.2 billion out of our broadcast rights. You wish you could get that much.

The Suns have more members than the Titans and have a higher average attendance. They will maintain that as the club improves and becomes more competitive on the field.

If no one played or watched AFL outside of Australia seriously - we wouldn't have an International Cup. Ireland won the first. New Zealand won the second. Papua New Guinea are the reigning champions. Ireland and South Africa took it seriously when I saw them compete for third place in 2008. Ditto Nauru and Canada for fifth.

Your post is berift of fact, and calling me names ("peanut") harms your credibility.
that was the ARL... not the NRL
they'll do whateva it takes this time round

the NRL wasn't around during the superleague war.. it came about as a result of it... learn your history peanut

considering the circumstances when it did start .. it has been a minor miracle how well it has gone
the task at hand to reunite our game ... after such a savage & bitter conflict .. was huge
but here we are .. the game never looking stronger .. never having a more positive future

& I reckon I could rustle up a mob of grannies from an old peoples home in Dandenong & beat those " international cup" teams
they are able to catch a ball .. can they kick a ball

seriously ... get a grip , your code has no international scene of any signifigance to anyone

RL is played in about 70 countries
I don't go on about because its irrelavant ... only about 6 have any idea what they're doing out there
thats 5 more then the AFL :cool: