AFL vs NRL - the TV war

Discuss the footy industry, crowds, tv ratings, memberships, sponsorships and the finances of all Australian football codes and clubs
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

I said 20, not 9.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra
Been liked: 0

Post by Raiderdave »

TLPG wrote:
I said 20, not 9.
ah no
:roll: this is what you posted about RL in Sydney

NRL
National Clubs - 10
State Clubs - 6
Sydney Competitions - 1
Sydney Clubs - 9
Country Competitions - 23
Country Clubs - 224
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Add up the National Clubs, State Clubs and Sydney Clubs, and then take away Canberra, Newcastle (NRL), Central Coast and Illawarra. Actually it's 21, not 20. My mistake.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Raiderdave wrote:
TLPG wrote:
In 2012 when Fox Sports has ALL AFL games live on the new channel - you are in for the shock of your life.

I was referring to nationwide on Friday night BTW, not local (ie NSW and QLD).

There is no evidence that Seven and Ten have expressed any interest in NRL. Ten's dumping OneHD as a 24 hour sports channel. If they had any interest in NRL after being left out of the latest AFL deal, they'd keep it and use it. But they aren't.
the last time you said I had no evidence I walloped you to a pulp with it
wanna go down that road again ?
If I post something ... read it as gospel .. k :cool:
And I provided a mock round by round analysis of this walloping right here in this thread but it is now deleted, as is your post which quoted the analysis Raider.

Word on the street is TLPG, who claims in the forum/site issues page that the fight club should have no moderator, asked beaussie to delete them as they caused much offence... ... ...

I know i made him look funny but TLPG seriously you need to grow some skin.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

TLPG wrote:
My mistake.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Are you for real!

Well done ol' boy, jolly good effort!

I'm impressed TLPG. This is the first step in your long road to respect. You might just give us the public apology we all deserve after all

:)

xman wrote:
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

TLPG wrote:
Gold Coast is NOT an NRL stronghold. It's 50/50. The strongest club financially down there is the Southport Sharks, an AFL club. That's a fact.

I'll start getting worried when thugby competitions start forming in Victoria, and not before. The AFL is strong, as the numbers I provided on the sticky thread prove. And it continues to grow.

In 2012 when competition in NSW is proper and full on both pay TV and FTA - the real battle will begin and the AFL will win. It's winning now, but the figures are skewed so we can't see it - yet.
TLPG, There is already a Victorian Rugby League, South Australian RL And Western Australian RL , Though I'm not prepared to call them heartland, I won't even refer to them as 50/50.....just yet.
enarelle
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by enarelle »

Gentleman of the NRL I think "debating' with TLPG is a rather pointless exercise because as soon as a fact or statement is put forward that puts the NRL in a good light or the AFL in a poor one he dismisses it as
crap,nonsense,biased,out of date etc

One just has to love the no SOO for AFL because they have three teams. So you could run an equivalent of the NRL SOO but choose not to.?????????????

He has more flexibility in his arguments than Houdini. He dismisses Richard Colless(CEO of Swans) when he makes a comment supported by facts, but embraces David Gallop from 3 years ago.

However,he has made a mistake in saying we use cable to make a judgment on popularity. Because when you use Fox Sports as carried by Foxtel/Austar it is a NRL massacre. No doubt he will get out of this with the same "flexibility" shown previously.

You see even if the capture of ratings is flawed as long as they do it the same way each year the trend it shows is correct.

The trend is that the NRL TV audience has caught and passed the AFL and the gap is widening
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

That last sentence is rubbish because it is based on an outdated ratings system. Put FTA and Pay together and apply it Australia wide - and the AFL is winning. And easily.

Comparing the Victorian Rugby League to AFL in New South Wales is ANOTHER loss for you by the way!

Number of RL clubs in Victoria - 18
Number of FL clubs in New South Wales (not including Sydney and the ACT) - 84

Again - senior clubs (I notice Raider hasn't been back with stats that he said he would).
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Raiderdave wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:
Beaussie, I think you're telling some little white lies within your semi factual post. I agree that Alice Springs has adds for Mount Isa and from memory maybe Rockhampton, but Townsville...??? Comon now you know I've lived in Alice Springs before right? #-o

Another Beaussie myth busted! :\:
Believe what you want. It seems clear you, like many NRL supporters don't like hearing the truth about the regional tv markets.

Daniel Green has covered this very issue perfectly where he pointed out in his article on the TV ratings page the following:
Over the entire season, the AFL was watched by a total of 65,023,000 and the NRL by 40,272,000. But what many fail to take into account is the three hour running time of an AFL telecast compared to the two hour running time of it's NRL rival. When this is taken into account, the AFL is viewed 2.4 times as often as the NRL on free-to-air according to Oztam figures. 195,069,000 cumulative hours were viewed for the AFL compared to 80,546,000 for the NRL. With advertisers able to slot in commercials every time a goal is kicked, the commercial value would also appear to be far greater than the NRL, which has far fewer opportunities to slot in ads of their own. It should also be noted, that the NRL's flexible schedule where they choose games several weeks out for its various timeslots, gives it what should be a ratings advantage. Friday night football in the NRL is selected as the highest rating match and is shown live, from 7:30 to 9:30, with Sydney and Brisbane usually getting different matches featuring local teams to maximise ratings. The AFL meanwhile, on Friday nights has a one hour delayed telecast in Melbourne, 90 minutes in Adelaide, and 3 hours delayed in Perth of one match set in stone from the previous October. Looking at these circumstances, and comparing the heartlands of the two codes, one would think that in Sydney, the NRL would rate higher than Melbourne for the AFL. Interestingly, the AFL averages 451,000 in Melbourne on Friday nights and the NRL averages 386,000 in Sydney, with the AFL figures going through to 11:30pm. The NRL figure only goes to 9:30, at which time a delayed (and lower rating) telecast of another NRL match begins.

It would appear that the AFL is more passionately supported in its heartland. Or maybe this is a reflection of the indifference of Sydenysiders since the Brisbane NRL ratings (which regularly feature the Broncos on Friday nights) are strong and impressive.

The above figures, of course, only take into account the capital cities, with Oztam ratings - being the currency by which television programs are bought and sold - only measuring the capitals. Most of the Rugby League persuassion would argue that the NRL has a far greater representation in the regional areas than the AFL. This is undoubtably true, with the decentralized states of NSW and Queensland encompassing large regional areas of Rugby League loving folk. But is this regional area, which, in Television terms makes up approximately 30% of the market, enough to claw back the 25 million viewer deficit (and a deficit in viewing time of 115 million hours?) Not by a long way.

http://www.talkingfooty.com/tv_ratings_2011.php
this selective .. only giving half the story ... AFL puff piece again :roll:
exposed as a load of rubbish when it first came out.. he comments on the regional ratings ...
yet doesn't provide one shred of evidence .. one " stat " to back up his comment ... " that it doesn't go close to making up the difference in the metro figures " ... just a flippant remark & these fumbleball wombats gobble it up like its factual .. what clowns :(/
Seriously, when will you lot get it that no one cares about the regional ratings anyway.

Regional TV networks DO NOT bid for any sports tv rights... AFL or NRL - FACT

Please take note of what TV network executives really think as reported in the Australian Financial Review today below. Found quotes from the article on Big Footy. Read and weep NRL fans... The last point is particularly important in maintaining an audience over a 3hr period. Something the AFL can deliver on and something that the NRL fails at misreably.

$1.253 Billion for the AFL. Another record Australian sports tv rights deal. :P

AFR 20 June 2011 (page 40)
Premier wants all NRL Games
by Neil Shoebridge

"Foxtel and Austar were prepared to cop a massive price increase becuase they are convinced having more AFL content will boost their subscriber numbers in the AFL obsessed southerns states" a TV executive said.

"Premier wants to be able to show all NRL matches, but it doesn't think that will generate the same growth in the rugby league states, that is NSW & Qld"

" Pay TV's existing NRL content is superior (in terms of more games for longer) to its AFL content and one of the reasons it has a higher household penetration rate in NSW & QLD than in the southern states."

According to figures from TV ratings company OZTAM, pay TV is in 37.5% of Sydney homes, 31.9% in Brisbane, 28.6% Melb, 27.3% Perth & 24.4% Adelaide.

"Rugby league officials and clubs look at the AFL deal and assume the NRL can get a massive increase for the next TV deal" one media executive said.

"But the AFL is a different TV product to the NRL. The AFL is popular in more states than the NRL. AFL broadcasts run for three hours versus two for NRL broadcasts. The AFL can sustain pre and post game programs, whilst the NRL can't"

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost. ... stcount=40
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

TLPG wrote:
Put FTA and Pay together and apply it Australia wide - and the AFL is winning. And easily.
Winning easily alright. Sometimes over a million+ more viewers in the capital cities alone when you compare the AFL weekly ratings FTA and PAY against the NRL.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

TLPG wrote:
No it will be the other way around, because FTA will be forced to place AFL up against NRL - and the AFL followers will come out of the woodwork in NSW.
It starts this week. I saw an ad last night on 7mate saying the wait for live Friday night AFL is over for fans in NSW/ACT and QLD. Starting this Friday night, all games will be broadcast live into NSW/ACT and QLD. :thumbleft:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

OHO! 7mate means those old black boxes HAVE to be junked now! Use the set top boxes the same way as the Pay TV units (should be possible) so that every household is counted. THEN watch what happens! :twisted:
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Does anyone know when the Rugby League TV deal is going to be made?

And if the NRL gets over 900,000 can anyone think of how Beaussie and TLPG should post their acknowledgement of defeat?

xman wrote:
enarelle
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by enarelle »

The NRL is a moral to get over $900m and it is not hard to work out how.

55% of the population live in NSW/QLD/ACT -ABS

66% of the advertising dollars spent in this country are in NSW/QLD.

If one followed the regionals dont matter then Sydney and Brisbane are were businesses spend the 66% on 35% of the national population. As important as Sydney/Brisbane are they are not quite that important.

But it does not really matter because the NRL is the dominant sport regardless of whether it is NSW/ACT or Sydney/Brisbane.

AFL is a minor TV sport in this area -it doesn't matter whether it runs for 3 hours or 6 hours in this region because no one is watching. They are watching rugby league in ever increasing numbers. Foxtel numbers are up 30% this year alone

I expect it doesn't matter what the NRL gets because as long as the AFL gets $5 more the AFL crew will trumpet their great victory.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

TLPG wrote:
OHO! 7mate means those old black boxes HAVE to be junked now! Use the set top boxes the same way as the Pay TV units (should be possible) so that every household is counted. THEN watch what happens! :twisted:
I'm guessing an even bigger win to the NRL ... then the one their having now :\: