AFL is more exciting then league

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Raiderdave wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
Don't you just love how NRL supporters claim all of NSW and QLD as their heartland. I along with many others who grew up on Rugby League in NSW have fully converted to Australian Football. I rarely even watch a game of Rugby League these days. I've no doubt I'm not alone. Oh and BTW, Radierdave, how would you explain the Swans and Lions getting bigger crowds, larger membership bases and bigger sponsorship deals than the NRL clubs in NSW and QLD. :P
Really
let me see
AFL crowds combined in NSW/QLD in 2010
NRL crowds combined in NSW/QLD in 2010

AFL Memberships combined in NSW/QLD
NRL memberships combined in NSW/QLD

Sponsorship for AFL teams combined in NSW/QLD
7 Mill a year
Sponsorship for NRL teams combined in NSW/QLD
28 Mill a year

nuh
wrong on all counts :/;
Even the Daily Telegraph admits the Swans are the No.1 sporting club in Sydney when it comes to sponsorship, membership and attendances.
Swans rated the No. 1 sporting club in town in terms of sponsorship, membership and attendances

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225837530086
Does anyone honestly believe the Melbourne Storm could match the Sydney Swans status as the No.1 sporting club in town. Not in our lifetimes that's for sure. :(/
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

I agree with this and have to say it is a shame Rugby League has not been able to promote itself better to the population.

On the other hand this does not in any way mean that AFL is more popular than League. Support for League absolutely belts support for AFL all over Sydney, Brisbane and the majority of QLD and NSW.

Anyway support is not what this thread is about...

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

Beaussie wrote:
Even the Daily Telegraph admits the Swans are the No.1 sporting club in Sydney when it comes to sponsorship, membership and attendances.
Swans rated the No. 1 sporting club in town in terms of sponsorship, membership and attendances

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225837530086
Which backs me up in the most effective way. TY Beau!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Having Beaussie, and even worse, the Daily Telegraph, "back you up" does not mean what you say is credible TLPG :lol:

To keep this thread on topic I would strongly argue that just because afl may have greater sponsorship, membership and attendances does NOT mean the game is more exciting than League.

Only peanuts like TLPG would try and argue this. Whether a game is exciting or not is highly subjective and dependent on one's experiences with the game. Having played umpired coached and refereed both sports I reckon both are equally exciting and can also be pretty boring at times as well. Its pretty lame when both games have no flow or rhythm.

Having said this I'm happy to debate the topic with people who actually wish to talk about the actual sports, not peanuts who want to ramble on about the bloody attendances sponsorship and memberships. That's for a different thread. #-o

xman wrote:
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra
Been liked: 0

Post by Raiderdave »

King-Eliagh wrote:
I agree with this and have to say it is a shame Rugby League has not been able to promote itself better to the population.

On the other hand this does not in any way mean that AFL is more popular than League. Support for League absolutely belts support for AFL all over Sydney, Brisbane and the majority of QLD and NSW.

Anyway support is not what this thread is about...
And my figures prove this
their argument is not an oranges V oranges debate & they know it

& besides
the way NRL attendances & memberships are climbing in Sydney

& Swans numbers are falling
the Swans will be 5th by the time this decade is out.
Souths & the Dragons have nearly got more Sydney based members then the Swans already
its just a matter of time.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

The ONLY reason that might happen, Raider, would be because of the Giants - not the NRL clubs.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

TLPG wrote:
The ONLY reason that might happen, Raider, would be because of the Giants - not the NRL clubs.
the Giants ?

well they'll impact negatively on the Swans of course & this when factoring in the Swans parlous financial state is a cuase for concern for AFL in Sydney.

but that will be a minor consideration for our game .... the main reason for Sydney's NRL clubs making big inroads being the vast numbers of NRL fans in Sydney are finally getting the message & joining up to their teams as members .. this in turn is committing them to attend games more then they ever have in the past , this combined with better stadia has our game looking at a very rosey future.
The cultural differences between Sydney & Melbourne will always be there , but things are changing

an average NRL sydney crowd from 20 years ago is now considered small
a Large NRL sydney crowd from 20 years ago is now considered only average
its all on the up ... its great to see :wink:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

NRL average crowds are down this season as opposed to last season. Membership numbers for most NRL clubs are still embarrassingly low as are crowds. Now, and back on topic, why are crowds, membership numbers etc etc always lower in the NRL when compared with the AFL. I'm thinking AFL fans are much more passionate about their game and they also find Australian Football much more exciting to watch whether that be on tv or at the game. BTW, you don't have to take my word for it, TV ratings and crowds prove this point. :wink:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Exactly! The only thing that could be exciting about a rugby league game is a close finish (a la two games in the past weekend). Here's a point - why does rugby league have extra time during the home and away season? Too many draws - not as many as the epitome of ho-hum (soccer) but enough to be boring. Draws in AFL are exciting. Last year's AFL grand final was one of the classics even if someone had won! You can't get that sort of excitement in thugby! They need the fist fights to get a crowd really fired up!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
NRL average crowds are down this season as opposed to last season. Membership numbers for most NRL clubs are still embarrassingly low as are crowds. Now, and back on topic, why are crowds, membership numbers etc etc always lower in the NRL when compared with the AFL. I'm thinking AFL fans are much more passionate about their game and they also find Australian Football much more exciting to watch whether that be on tv or at the game. BTW, you don't have to take my word for it, TV ratings and crowds prove this point. :wink:
NRL crowds are down ..... 1.3% :|
considering the wet weather in 2011 which has affected about 45 games this year thats pretty good , It will end up a long way ahead of the 2010 figure by seasons end
memberships are up 30% on last year .. & 100% on 4 years ago
most KI's are on the up
AFL in NSW & QLD are heading in the exact opposite direction for all pointers to popularity .... south

its the same as Australians feelings about soccer ( the " world " game) & its success overseas
we're not impressed .. we don't care , Its Cr@p

same with NSWshmen & Qlders when AFL fans w@nk on about how well their going in the Sthn States of Australia
We're not impressed .. we don't care .. its a BS game
& 30 years of forcing it down our throats has don't little to sway the vast majority from this opinion .
So sad .. too bad. :\:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Raiderdave wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
considering the wet weather in 2011 which has affected about 45 games this year thats pretty good , It will end up a long way ahead of the 2010 figure by seasons end
memberships are up 30% on last year .. & 100% on 4 years ago
most KI's are on the up
AFL in NSW & QLD are heading in the exact opposite direction for all pointers to popularity .... south

its the same as Australians feelings about soccer ( the " world " game) & its success overseas
we're not impressed .. we don't care , Its Cr@p

same with NSWshmen & Qlders when AFL fans w@nk on about how well their going in the Sthn States of Australia
We're not impressed .. we don't care .. its a BS game
& 30 years of forcing it down our throats has don't little to sway the vast majority from this opinion .
So sad .. too bad. :\:
Sheeeezus Beaussie, you're taking a pounding here mate. :lol:

I wouldn't be throwing any more myths at this guy, he's blowing you out of the park.

And your peanut pal TLPG dribbling about draws, is, as usual, providing shmaaack all. :lol:

Although I shouldnt be too harsh, I mean he refuses to respond to my posts because I've belted him to timbucktoo and back before for his illegitimate posts. So he did mention the fist fights and close games in league as exciting, which is something. League also has massive hits and tackles, amazing backline strategy and plays (which by the way are run at a much faster pace, with more bodies in motion than any team movement in AFL), high flying marks finishing in tries, amazing and creative kicks, charging bull forwards and the blistering speed and agility of backs, and the excitement of extra time in the regular season (so many have already been completely disappointed with the draw results in the AFL this year, not to mention the AFL GF last year). This is just some of the exciting stuff in Rugby LEague.

Looking forward to the Origin tonight! :D

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Raiderdave wrote:
And still miles behind AFL.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

TLPG wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
And still miles behind AFL.
the AFL's crowds are down 5%
it will be about 10% by seasons end

& another 10% drop next year with the introduction of a team that will make Penrith Panthers Crowds look big :>::

GWS :(/ :\:
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

More bad news for the AFL. The Swans crowds are down 19.8%. While the Lions are only down 13.8%
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Raider, you're making a fool of yourself. Of course it's going to look like the crowds are down after Round 11! Watch the average jump back up during the finals! 10% down indeed! You're dreaming! Even if it did drop by that much it'd still be beating the NRL! That's how far ahead the AFL is! I agree the average will dip slightly when West Sydney come in, but that would happen in the NRL as well with a new team in a non rugby area - like if you tried to get into Adelaide or Perth again!

Same goes for you, Pussycat. Neither side have played Collingwood (always a big draw), and the Swans are playing them at Homebush as they usually do rather than the SCG.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST