Twenty20 Cricket

Whether it be cricket, golf, basketball, tennis, boxing or any other sport - this is the place for you.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Twenty20 Cricket

Post by Beaussie »

Now this is my type of game. Unlike test cricket, the slog feast concept is exciting to watch. Obviously I'm not alone in thinking this way judging by the large crowd in attendance at the Adelaide Oval.

I'm thinking this game has great potential as the players now have a real incentive to make runs, as oppossed to the usual block seen in all test matches that sometimes last 5 days and still end in a draw. :roll:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Fuck it looks like another Pakistan collapse, this time in Twenty 20.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Initially, I'm a tad cautious about Twenty20's effect on the game, but if the ICC and the respective Cricket Boards around the world plan this out properly, I believe it'll be a welcome and refreshing addition to the 2 major forms of the game that are currently played at the top level.

Mark Taylor used the words of Stuart MacGill various times over the past week, saying something along the lines of: "It's like sampling wine. First, you sample from the glass (Twenty20 Cricket). If you like that, you then move on and buy the bottle (One-Day Cricket). And once you're hooked, you purchase the case or casket (Test Match Cricket)".

In the current international and domestic formats, One-Dayers are seen as the big drawcard, as evidenced by the increasing amount of matches being played right around the world. This increase, I believe, will have a bad effect on Cricket in the future as I can see Test Series' being shortened to make way for lengthy One-Day tournaments. This will devalue the importance of both forms of the game.

There needs to be a balance, and Twenty20 offers an opportunty to get the balance right.

For example, a typical Australian summer might be like the following.

5 Match Test Series:

November - Brisbane
Decemeber - Perth
December - Adelaide
December - Melbourne
January - Sydney

Twenty20 series:

January - 3 teams, 6 match round-robin (play each other twice), then the Final. Can be the 3 teams for the VB Series or others.

One-Dayers:

January/February - 3 teams, 9 match round-robin (play each other three times), then the usual 3 game Finals series to finish off the summer.

I would suggest that the domestic calander also be brought into line with Australia's international summer. At the moment, the domestic season has One-Dayers and Pura Cup games shuffled all over the shop just like our international summer used to be not that long ago. Twenty20 should also be incorporated into the domestic calander at the expense of a few matches in the very lengthy ING Cup. Twenty20 could prove to the last and only chance domestic Cricket has of raising its profile and creating a regular fanbase of some sorts in each state.

Twenty20, if used wisely, could be fantastic for the game, and not take anything away from the current status of One-Dayers and Test Matches. If anything, it'll create more interest in the 2 existing forms of the game.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Initially, I'm a tad cautious about Twenty20's effect on the game, but if the ICC and the respective Cricket Boards around the world plan this out properly, I believe it'll be a welcome and refreshing addition to the 2 major forms of the game that are currently played at the top level.

Mark Taylor used the words of Stuart MacGill various times over the past week, saying something along the lines of: "It's like sampling wine. First, you sample from the glass (Twenty20 Cricket). If you like that, you then move on and buy the bottle (One-Day Cricket). And once you're hooked, you purchase the case or casket (Test Match Cricket)".

In the current international and domestic formats, One-Dayers are seen as the big drawcard, as evidenced by the increasing amount of matches being played right around the world. This increase, I believe, will have a bad effect on Cricket in the future as I can see Test Series' being shortened to make way for lengthy One-Day tournaments. This will devalue the importance of both forms of the game.

There needs to be a balance, and Twenty20 offers an opportunty to get the balance right.

For example, a typical Australian summer might be like the following.

5 Match Test Series:

November - Brisbane
Decemeber - Perth
December - Adelaide
December - Melbourne
January - Sydney

Twenty20 series:

January - 3 teams, 6 match round-robin (play each other twice), then the Final. Can be the 3 teams for the VB Series or others.

One-Dayers:

January/February - 3 teams, 9 match round-robin (play each other three times), then the usual 3 game Finals series to finish off the summer.

I would suggest that the domestic calander also be brought into line with Australia's international summer. At the moment, the domestic season has One-Dayers and Pura Cup games shuffled all over the shop just like our international summer used to be not that long ago. Twenty20 should also be incorporated into the domestic calander at the expense of a few matches in the very lengthy ING Cup. Twenty20 could prove to the last and only chance domestic Cricket has of raising its profile and creating a regular fanbase of some sorts in each state.

Twenty20, if used wisely, could be fantastic for the game, and not take anything away from the current status of One-Dayers and Test Matches. If anything, it'll create more interest in the 2 existing forms of the game.
Well Dizzys, you have all of this and more for next summer!

Next summer will see a six test format (West Indies and South Africa touring) and will see Bellerive get a test for the first time since 2001.

As well as this extra test, Australia is set to take on a Rest of the World XI in a one-off test and 3 one day internationals.

Australia will also make a short trip to New Zealand for the 3 match Chappell/Hadlee Trophy.

Cricket Australia Chief Executive James Sutherland also confirmed that they wanted to incorporate a domestic Twenty-20 competition into the schedule.

Seems like it is all the flavour of the month!

I can't wait for these ROTW games and surely they will all be sellouts. It will probably be the only real competition Australia will get in any form of the game!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
I can't wait for these ROTW games and surely they will all be sellouts. It will probably be the only real competition Australia will get in any form of the game!
Lets hope so. I'm really starting to lose interest in cricket with Australia's continued dominance.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

SMH wrote:
One-day game overhaul is Buchanan's Twenty20 vision
By Chloe Saltau
January 18, 2005
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Cricket/Oned ... 46343.html

Australia coach John Buchanan has called on custodians of the game to use Twenty20 as a way of kick-starting an overhaul of one-day cricket, such as splitting 50-overs-a-side matches into four innings.

Buchanan hopes the new 20-over format will speed up changes to the one-day game and produce a more athletic, creative breed of cricketer, just as the birth of one-day cricket more than three decades ago led to slicker fielding, better running between wickets and faster scoring rates in Tests. He said the potential for innovation was endless.

"I just think what Twenty20 cricket will do is question why the 50-over format continues to be the way it is. The 20-over game can accelerate that whole format change that I think is overdue, and that the ICC are responsible for," Buchanan said.

"I think the Twenty20 game . . . should be at least an introduction to the game as part of the overall package of cricket, but then there is the whole flow-on effect into one-day cricket."

Buchanan said administrators should consider dividing traditional one-day games into four innings - perhaps two innings per side of 20 or 25 overs each - and offering incentives for being ahead at each change of innings.

"Then teams have to decide whether they chase that incentive point or whether they're more interested in chasing the win at the end," he said.

"I'm sure lots of other people have got lots of other ideas . . . I do think the ODI game does need the ICC to rethink it's format."

Cricket Australia has in recent years experimented with a free hit, 12 players per team, different fielding restrictions and rewards for the fastest 50s in the 50-over ING Cup competition.
Very interesting. Thoughts anyone?