Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 50 times

Johns Dumped by Wallabies

Post by Beaussie »

Johns bypassed by Wallabies
By David Beniuk
August 30, 2007 12:00am
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 23,00.html

ANY chance of league great Andrew Johns working with the Wallabies at the Rugby World Cup is over in the wake of his caution for drug possession.

Australian Rugby Union boss John O'Neill today ruled out the possibility of the former Kangaroos captain joining the Wallabies in France as a coaching consultant.

Johns today confirmed he was issued with a caution for possession of an ecstasy tablet in London on Sunday.

His manager said Johns was arrested but not charged by British transport police, who apparently were conducting a routine search at underground railway stations following the annual Notting Hill Carnival.

Johns spent time tutoring the Wallabies' kickers before Australia scored an upset win over the All Blacks in their Tri Nations Test in Melbourne in June.

Australian coach John Connolly said recently he hoped Johns could work again with the team at the World Cup once the retired halfback's commentary commitments with the Nine Network in the NRL finals series were completed.

But O'Neill said the ARU had not entered into any formal arrangement with Johns. "It wasn't a done deal that he'd be contributing to the team in France,'' O'Neill said through a spokesman today.

"Given the current circumstances, the Wallabies will continue as is in France.''

It is believed Connolly was keener on Johns' involvement than recently returned chief executive O'Neill. Johns said the ecstasy tablet he was caught with in London was pushed into a pocket of his jeans at a crowded club by an "unknown'' person.

"Following an interview with police he was told the misdemeanour did not warrant being charged and instead was given an official caution,'' a statement from Johns' management, the Fordham Company, said.

"Johns said today he recalled an unknown person pushing a tablet into his jeans at a crowded entertainment venue last Sunday - his last day in the United Kingdom following a six weeks overseas holiday.''

In the statement, Johns said: "I was having such a good time, seeing it was the last day before I flew home. I stupidly forget about the tablet and instead of getting rid of it I left myself in a situation I soon deeply regretted.

"I have been a very foolish person and realise I have brought great disappointment to my family, friends and many people, including lots of youngsters who have looked up to me over the years.

"It has left a black mark on my reputation which I will work very hard at erasing.''

Johns, who was forced out of rugby league in April by a recurring neck injury, has been holidaying in Europe and the UK.

He and injured Brisbane Broncos skipper Darren Lockyer were guests at the Challenge Cup final between St Helens and Catalans at Wembley Stadium the day before his arrest.