Geelong Cats!

Australian Football news and discussion.

Can the cats win the flag this year?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:21 pm

yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 7

kaskill
Seniors
Seniors
Team:
Been liked: 0

Geelong Cats!

Post by kaskill »

Are the cats good enough to make it 10 in a row next weekend or even still can they go all the way???
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

No. They are peaking too soon. It will be an all interstate grand final again this year. West Coast and Adelaide.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Of course they CAN go all the way..

The question is will they?

I think they are certainies for the final at least...
kaskill
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by kaskill »

yeah i think adelaide are dangerous but im not sure the reason "they are peaking to soon" means they cant go all the way to win the flag i mean have a look at west coast who have peaked for the last 2 years with not many losses and even this year again!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Big test for the Cats this week against the Pies. I'm still not sure they're able to go all the way in September, despite looking great at the moment.
dogsact
Has thanked: 0

Post by dogsact »

I think they will make the GF. They are finally playing the brand of football we knew they could. Wheter they win the GF is a different story, as history tells us. Plus, whats to say they are peaking? When did the bombers peak in 2000, or the Blues in 95. Could be that they are just that good. They are not just winning either, they are winning big.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

In this day and age you just can't keep this sort of thing going, Dogsact. This isn't 1995 or 2000. West Coast are yet to get back into form, Adelaide are now looking dangerous - and yes the Cats have to win this weekend to be in the hunt.

But this is early July. Late August is a number of weeks off yet.

I will say this though - it won't be an all interstate preliminary final weekend like it was last year.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
dogsact

Post by dogsact »

TLPG wrote:
In this day and age you just can't keep this sort of thing going, Dogsact. This isn't 1995 or 2000. West Coast are yet to get back into form, Adelaide are now looking dangerous - and yes the Cats have to win this weekend to be in the hunt.

But this is early July. Late August is a number of weeks off yet.

I will say this though - it won't be an all interstate preliminary final weekend like it was last year.

Obviously i was mentioning their GF record with a bit of tounge in cheek TLPG. Plus, it is always still fun reminding Cats supporters of this.
Don't take everything said so seriously. :D
kaskill
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by kaskill »

TLPG you say that in this day and age teams just cant keep this sort of thing going? but whats to say they cant keep winning? are you judging that by probability that they've had 10 wins so they're surely to start losing??
Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Richmond Tigers

Post by Scorger Man »

I'm stoked that the cats are doing well and I hope they do make the GF. I'm a bit over the Eagles-Swans carry on and would like to see a vic team in the running on the GF. I still believe it will be a interstate GF but who the teams are is anyones guess. The sex pistols of the AFL, the Eagles have hit a ditch but with Sid Vicious (Cousins) returning next week who knows what can happen.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

kaskill wrote:
TLPG you say that in this day and age teams just cant keep this sort of thing going? but whats to say they cant keep winning? are you judging that by probability that they've had 10 wins so they're surely to start losing??
No, I'm saying that a number of teams are off at the moment (such as the Eagles). That's why there's a log jam between second and outside the eight at the moment. Mediocrity is being rewarded at the moment - I don't think Hawthorn and North Melbourne are good enough to be in second and third spot as an example.

Once the good teams hit form, Geelong are going to be up against it - especially come finals time. The Bulldogs will be interesting this week. The side to really look out for don't run into Geelong again this season (Sydney). And Port Adelaide are looking dangerous as well although they do have a tendency to be yo-yos.

Not only that, I think the Eagles have hit bottom and the only way is up.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
kaskill
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by kaskill »

i see what your saying but maybe geelong are now the best side in the comp? at the moment anyway. I mean all teams have their ups and downs like brisbane for example they won 3 flags in a row then the year after they went to nothing so i guess what im saying is maybe geelong are the west coast of this year. Alot of the top teams of previous years may seem like they are off their games at the moment but could it instead mean that all the other sides have lifted to the same standard of football?
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

No, Kaskill - Hawthorn and North Melbourne are playing only reasonable footy, which would have them outside the eight at any other time. North were lucky to escape against Fremantle, and Hawthorn's win over Richmond was weak to say the least. Geelong would have thrashed Richmond by twice as much - as would have an in form Eagles, Sydney or Adelaide. Sydney play Richmond in a couple of weeks and they are back - so expect a thumping unless Richmond find something.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
dogsact

Post by dogsact »

So on that bases TLPG, you are saying so far this has been an ordinary year of football. I for one disagree with you. I think there is a changing of the guard happening. Geelong, and Hawthorn have had potentially great teams for a couple of years now, I think finally they are achieving that potential. West Coast will Improve, So do i believe the Swans will. Adelaide will get a little better but I believe them to be past it. The Kangaroos will give 120% all year but i don't think they are capable of winning. Though I do believe they are capable of upsetting any team in the finals, just not three weeks in a row. Geelong had the list to do it last year, and they just missed the GF the year before. They are much better now than last year, they want it. and I think they will get it.
kaskill
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by kaskill »

i agree with dogsact 100% all these teams that are coming up in the ranks have had the teams to go all the way 4 years and i think they have finally got it together to get the job done! if you TLPG think that the top 3 teams are only playing reasonable footy then id hate to see what they could do if they played good games? we cant deny the fact that the likes of sydney, west coast and adelaide are great teams but i think these teams that are killing it on the ladder aren't just there out of pure luck or the fact that other teams arent playing so well..