Kerr Implicated in Drug Scandal

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Kerr Implicated in Drug Scandal

Post by Beaussie »

Fair dinkum, will this ever end for the Eagles. How much did the AFL know? :shock:
Kerr implicated in drug scandal
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200703/s1880292.htm

West Coast midfielder Daniel Kerr has become the second high-profile Eagles player this week to be implicated in dealings with illicit drugs, after Ben Cousins' father Bryan last night publicly admitted his son had a substance abuse problem.

Kerr is one of three sportsmen whose conversations with convicted drug dealer Shane Waters were recorded by police phone taps nearly four years ago.

A police operation called Remuda tapped the phone calls of drug trafficker Waters.

Among the hundreds of hours of tapes, police heard the voices of Kerr, former Eagles and current Kangaroos player Aaron Edwards, and basketballer James Harvey.

The tapes, obtained by the ABC, suggest Kerr had bought Ketamine, a powerful horse sedative also referred to as 'Special K', from the dealer the night after an away game in August 2003.

Kerr was recorded discussing his use of the drug which he said turned everything "weird" and made him forget where he was.

"I'm just recovering, I just feel good today, I was struggling the other day, it turned all pear-shaped, swear to God, couldn't even sleep it was that bad," Kerr was recorded as saying.

Cousins is referred to in the phone taps but is not heard speaking directly to the dealer.

Harvey is heard talking about abusing ecstasy.

"One flipper every hour on the hour for 10 hours," Harvey said.

Meanwhile, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou maintains he knows nothing about the phone taps, despite claims from former AFL investigator Rick Lewis who says he mentioned rumours of the taps to Demetriou (then the league's operation boss) several years ago.

The West Coast Eagles concede they knew about the phone taps years ago but the players denied any wrongdoing.

"We had some people ring me anonymously, but they wouldn't say who they were," Eagles coach John Worsfold said on The Footy Show last night.

Waters was jailed last year for trafficking drugs to an undercover policeman, after an arrest arising from operation Remuda.

Victorian police says they did not question the players because the operation was aimed at convicting major drug traffickers.

Last month Kerr was fined $10,000 by the club after being convicted of assaulting a Perth taxi driver.

Related Audio:
AFL player Kerr implicated in drugs deal
The ABC has obtained copies of hundreds of hours of police phone taps that implicate West Coast Eagles midfielder Daniel Kerr in a drugs deal. [ RealMedia 28k+ ]
Last edited by Beaussie on Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LisaJ
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by LisaJ »

All teams go through their bad patches...West Coast definatly have had more than most....but don't discount us yet..we work well under pressure
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

The impact all this is having at the Eagles will be interesting to see on Saturday night for Sydney v West Coast.
LisaJ
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by LisaJ »

Well, its only the beginning of the year, and we haven't had a good record here in Sydney so if we lose, Im not really worried...either way it will be a good night
dogsact

Post by dogsact »

Once again, the rumour mills are proving to be correct. The players that are being named, and one member of the WA sports media, have long been rumoured to be involved in drugs. I don't understand why people are so surprised.
lescygnes
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by lescygnes »

still doesnt change the fact that the AFL should come down on the WCE's like a tonne of bricks for allowing this culture to go on to this current state.

i say name ALL players, WCE or not who are caught taking any illegal substance.

and yes i know that this has been happening at the WCE's for years. a few players used to drive near my uncles place in Koraborup to smoke bongs back in the early 90's.

i dont begrudge anyone having a good night out. hell ive even done most drugs, but i dont have a poster of me on kids walls nor the salary to match. its a disgrace.
LisaJ
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by LisaJ »

I totally agree. Name and shame. We all knew when Chris Mainwaring got done for drink driving....so why hide those who do drugs in sport
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

The AFL's 3 strikes drug policy clearly needs revising.
lescygnes
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by lescygnes »

three strikes is a joke. no wonder the code is derided in sporting circles around the globe

andrew demetriou or however its damn well spelt has been made to look like a dithering fool over this whole saga. well thats the view from queensland.

he should resign immediately.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

lescygnes wrote:
he should resign immediately.
Not likely considering this:
AFL boss Andrew Demetriou has reportedly seen his salary rocket up by 71 per cent in the last two years.

During the same period payments to players have inched up by just six percentage points.

Demetriou's annual pay packet now grazes $1 million and is tipped to go past that mark next year.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/thesportsde ... 878718.htm
dogsact

Post by dogsact »

Agree with everything said. The AFL should take into consideration the NRL stance on Wendell Sailor and suspend these players regardless of thier status to the game.
lescygnes
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by lescygnes »

funnily enough, everyone agrees except for the afl because they havent got the balls to take on the AFLPA

sounds like hockey.
dogsact

Post by dogsact »

LOL, or US Baseball. "we wont suspend Barry Bonds, but we will put an astericks next to his name in the record books, indicating he was drug assisted"

To the AFL - Get some balls! NO player is bigger than the game! Do not make our code the laughing stock of world sport.
lescygnes
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by lescygnes »

yeah and sammy sosa with the cork bat!

this is about the ONLY subject i agree with john bloody howard about.

grow some balls AFL!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

I seriously don't get why the AFL is so reluctant to act on this issue.