Brisbane says stop the AFL Bandwagon, I want to get off

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by Willis 21 »

So Beaussie, are you happy with the Lions ratings this year?

Are you happy that the Iron Chef has outrated lions games 5 times this year?

The AFL spokesman quoted in the article is living in fantasy land... He might be happy, but I don't think that Channel 10 and 7 executives will be breaking out the champagne... :lol: :lol:
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Beaussie, have you got the AFL finals ratings figures in Brisbane for the two games this weekend??

Please compare to NRL ratings..... :mrgreen:

Its not so long ago ( less then 2 years) when there was a lot of crowing on Big Faggy about Queensland being an "AFL state".... :lol:

Be careful Swans.... its a quick trip from the penthouse to the sh*thouse... just ask Aka and Vossy.... :cool:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Willis 21 wrote:
Beaussie, have you got the AFL finals ratings figures in Brisbane for the two games this weekend??

Please compare to NRL ratings..... :mrgreen:
Sorry I don't have those figures on hand.
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

AFL in QLD lurching from one disaster to another...

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 10,00.html
Lions feel fan fallout

Bart Sinclair
November 28, 2006 11:00pm

A 14 PER CENT fall in average attendance at Brisbane Lions matches at the Gabba last season cost the club more than $1 million.
Chairman Tony Kelly yesterday highlighted the fall in attendance numbers from 33,000 to 28,200, mainly in daily ticket sales, which resulted in a net loss of revenue of $125,000 for each of the 12 home games this year
"I think you have to accept most of that can be put down to football performance. That's the nature of the business," Kelly said in explaining the Lions' operating loss of $994,419 in the past year when on-field performance slumped.
"We were coming out of a period where it was as good as it gets with four grand finals in a row.
"That doesn't mean if we get an average crowd of 28,200 we will post another $1 million loss next year.
"The AFL dividend will increase in the first year of the improved television rights deal. And we hope to increase sponsorship which recently was given a significant lift with our three-year deal with Vodafone as naming rights sponsor."
Kelly also pointed to the club's extraordinary run of injuries as another factor in the $1 million operating loss.
The average number of games lost through injury across the 16 AFL clubs is 82.5 but the Lions had players unavailable for a total of 200 games.
"We budgeted for the average and the incredible run of injuries added another $300,000 to our expenses through added player payments," Kelly said.
Last season the Lions used 39 players, the highest in the AFL.

Shrewd investments, principally in the equity market, saved the Lions from recording a much higher loss.
Investment return is listed at $1.08 million in the annual report, up from $680,000 last year.

Some of the cash nest egg the Lions have been able to accumulate in successful years from 2002-05 is invested in the stock market.
"We have been doing that for some time now under strict guidelines and with the best investment advice. But it is only part of our total investment strategy," Kelly said.
"I'm sure prudent investment is a critical part of the financial approach any business should undertake. The option is to park all of any cash in reserve in a fixed deposit where the returns would not have been nearly as high."
Kelly said the Lions also had paid AFL Queensland $150,000 in the past financial year as part of an arrangement to assist grassroots football.
The Lions reserves played as Suncoast Lions in the State League competition.
Kelly is hopeful the Lions' new social club, behind the Chalk Hotel near the Gabba, will be open for business in December.
The club will be run by the Chalk Hotel under a managements arrangement.
Included in the deal is the use of 80 poker machine licences held by the Lions.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Hmmm, footy is thriving in QLD according to this article:

[quote]Talent capital moves north
Jake Niall
November 26, 2006
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/real ... 55077.html

THE Brisbane Lions might have fallen, with stars Jason Akermanis and Mal Michael absconding to rival clubs, but their run of success appeared to have left a significant legacy in yesterday's national draft.

Buoyed by the Lions' three premierships and an innovative development program that raids tall athletes from other sports, Queensland provided 11 of the 81 players drafted yesterday.

Remarkably, that was the same number of draftees produced by the game's epicentre, metropolitan Victoria â€â€
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

A study of OzTam television revealed:

1) Only 70,000 Brisbane viewers tuned into last Saturday's night's Lions- Richmond telecast - a 48,000 drop from when the teams met in Round 4;

2) Nationally more people watched Paul Hogan's Crocodile Dundee (320,000) than the Lion's 82 point loss to Terry Wallace's Tigers(278,000) last Saturday night; ( Is this a record low for an AFL game??.. )

3) Nationally five times this season, The Iron Chef has outrated a Lions' game;

4) Last year's best result was 234,000 v St. Kilda in the opening round. This season the high was 169,000 for the MCG Collingwood game in Round 10;

5)Last season's low of 108,000 against St. Kilda was still 38,000 more than last week's ratings.
As we say at League Unlimited - "AFL fears The Iron Chef"...
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Interesting comments here from Caroline Wilson regading the AFL Picture in Brisbane..

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/real ... 88996.html
The Brisbane Lions have become something of a problem child for the AFL in only two brief seasons.

Back in 2004 the Lions looked to be the way forward for the league's developing markets but how quickly it all seems to have fallen apart.

Star players have departed bitterly and controversially, champions and role models for the competition have surrendered to their battered bodies and the club has not only plummeted down the ladder but also recorded a financial downturn over 12 months of more than $2 million.

The city into which Channel Ten was prepared to go prime time each Saturday night has deserted the Lions and other AFL games in tens of thousands this year

Beaussie, we often bump your infamous thread from 2004 at League Unlimited where you were proclaiming "QLD is an AFL state".... :lol: :lol:

Some of the new comers cannot believe that there could have been anyone that naive and stupid......

Sadly, we have to tell them that the Username Beaussie was in fact real, not someone trying to take the pis :lol: :lol:

Enjoy this trip down memory lane...

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showt ... hp?t=68161
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Caroline Wilson. hahahahaha

As for LU and the link provided, one needs to be a member to view it. What do you reckon my chances are of having my ban lifted?
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Can't you register under a different name?

Its been over 2 years now hasn't it?.. Surely you have done your time...
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

You need a new email address to sign up. Gee 2 years, i didn't think it had been so long. Sadly, I doubt the powers that be over there would let me back in.
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

You can't create one on yahoo or hotmail? These are not acceptable?

If not, maybe you should ask if you can rejoin... There aren't any AFL types there any more, they have all been scared away I think...

There's a couple of Unionites, and would you believe the odd soccer fan, but the place is not quite what it used to be....

I remember when we wound up old Grim and got him banned...now that was pretty funny.... :lol: :lol:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

One cannot use free accounts like yahoo or hotmail. I haven't even bothered asking as I'm almost certian the powers that be would just laugh and say no.

Shame if what you're saying is true about the lack of AFL types over there and the place being not quite what it used to be. I used to have lots of fun on those forums. :lol:

Oh and yes I do remember Grim being wound up and eventually banned. Same result for me in the end sadly. :(
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

After a week where 125,000 people attended rugby league in QLD during a 72 hour period, it looks like the Lions are going from bad to worse...

I must admit that I have predicted that the off field success the Lions had a couple of years ago was not really reflective of any meaningful support in Brisbane, and was made up with the usual bandwagon jumpers....

I would say that these figures below, coupled with the fantastic initial year of the Titans, have out an end to any further move by the AFL into SE Qld..

With the Roar looking like the goods as well, I wonder if there are any question marks over the long term viability of the Lions??

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/foo...E19746,00.html
Lions face another big loss
12 July 2007 Herald Sun
Damian Barrett

THE Brisbane Lions' on-field problems are being reflected off it, with the club preparing for another operating loss on the 2007 season.

Revenue is down significantly and a sizeable loss is expected, despite major cost reductions that shaved about $500,000 from outgoings at the start of the year.

Lions chief executive Michael Bowers said the books had reverted to 2001 figures, a season in which the club played in the first of four consecutive Grand Finals.

"We're finding that everything seems to be off about 17 to 20 per cent," Bowers said.

"And that is like the cream on the cake for us. We are finding the cream gone and in some places some of the cake is missing as well.

"It is a fickle market up here and that is the thing that has disappointed us more than anything.

"It ebbs and flows a bit and the tide is a bit greater than we thought it would be."

Brisbane's most recent match at the Gabba, in Round 13 against Port Adelaide, attracted 22,000 spectators -- about 10,000 fewer than the ground average in 2004.

While a Bledisloe Cup match and a Brisbane Broncos game were broadcast live into Brisbane that night, the crowd figure concerned Lions officials.

The Lions recorded profits on the 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 seasons, but lost nearly $1 million last year on about $30 million turnover.

The club is debt-free, having been able to invest several million dollars in long-term accounts during the boom of 2001-04, and the 2007 results will be cushioned by money raised at a Melbourne function on August 11 to celebrate the reunion of all Fitzroy and Brisbane players.

"But we are on track to make a loss, no doubt," Bowers said.
"We budgeted on a sell-out for all our boxes and suites. We budgeted on membership being a certain level, tickets being a certain level.

"From last year to this year, our membership and gate receipts we were forecasting are probably going to be about $1.5 million down from where they were."

Brisbane's predictions of a loss have dashed the AFL's hopes of having all clubs record a profit this year. Each club is to be given an extra $1.2 million this year because of the TV-rights windfall.

Bowers said the Lions would ask the AFL for a greater annual distribution to help cover some costs the club says are unique to it, including the running of a suburban Brisbane oval, which is used for training and by other local clubs.

A significant part of the Lions' cash problems relates to the back-ending of several big-name player contracts, including Michael Voss, Justin Leppitsch and Chris Scott.

"If we had our time again, a couple of years ago when we were raking in profits, we possibly would have liked to have accrued some of this year's player salaries into previous years," Bowers said.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

Have you looked at the balance sheet over the last few years of the Southport Sharks by any chance, Willis? And how is the game travelling in Cairns?

AFL is growing at the grass roots in Queensland, as it is in New South Wales. Don't use any issues with the Lions as a prop up for your argument - it'll fall over straight away.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

The Southport Sharks are propped up by a poker machine palace on the Gold Coast, who's members would know nothing about AFL.

Its a social club .. do not confuse it with any meaningful support of Aussie Rules...

You tell me how the game is travelling in Cairns.. daylight behind Rugby League as always is my undestanding...

Have you got any idea the year Rugby league is travelling in QLD this year?? Maybe take a look at the NRL board...