Look Out NRL

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Look Out NRL

Post by Beaussie »

Looks like the AFL is set to up the ante in NSW/QLD with an AFL game each weekend. A 20,000 seat new stadium being constructed at Blacktown in Sydney's west is also surely a sign that a new team will soon be created/relocated in Western Sydney. Surely the AFL would not invest in such a stadium for just pre-season and local league games. Carrara is getting its fair share of games this season as well and with Southport Sharks just awaiting approval for an AFL license, surely a new team on the Gold Coast ain't far off either.

Fantastic to hear the AFL plans to work with local government on ensuring more grounds are made available for footy. :D

No doubt the NRL would be more than a little concerned about the AFL's latest plans for the northern states, particularly when the NRL is basically nothing more than a NSW/QLD competition.

All footy codes must look on with envy at just how financially powerful the AFL is.

AFL plots its financial future
By Michael Gleeson
March 15, 2006
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/real ... 61607.html

The AFL is in rude health with the annual report revealing record revenues, memberships, TV audiences and match attendances, participation rates at unprecedented levels, a new large broadcast deal and the debt all but wiped out.

Yet, it is plotting more expansion into northern markets and non-football investment strategies for the next 10 years.

Expansion into western Sydney and the Gold Coast, which has seen the AFL form partnerships with councils and governments to set up new ovals and stadia, is the key element of its crystal ball gazing into the next 10 years.

It reflected on the change in the past 10 years - games were at Victoria Park, Princes Park, Whitten Oval and Waverley. Telstra Dome and Telstra Stadium weren't built, Fitzroy was still playing and Port Adelaide was not.

"This game has got enormous capacity to change significantly in a relatively short period of time," AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said. "I think in 10 years if we are not playing more games on a weekend each weekend there (Queensland and NSW) I think we would be disappointed. If we don't, I think we will miss out on opportunities . . . We are really keen on having a real crack now that we have got additional surplus funds to expand into NSW and Queensland in a really significant way."

The first stage is to continue to migrate games north, which might hint at shifting the Kangaroos from Canberra to a deal with Southport.

A 20,000-capacity boutique AFL stadium is being built in Blacktown in Sydney's west, which could be used for pre-season matches.

Demetriou said the AFL was looking at a radio licence, signage rights, ticketing and venue management. "We don't see it as a risk."

The AFL will confront the AFL Players Association over how much of the $780 million TV rights deal should go to the players. He also warned that attendance records would likely be broken over the next two years with the redeveloped MCG, and work on new stands at Skilled Stadium and the Gabba.

A record 6.28 million people went to games last year, four million people watched games on TV and 1.1 million fans listened to games on radio every week.

The AFL recorded $203 million in revenue, an operating surplus of $130 million, and gave $92 million to its 16 clubs.
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Grim Reaper »

Go AFL! Anything that can done to destroy the NRL and their band of rapist scum players has my support!
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Bring it on baby....

Rather than trying to put money into the grass roots and build it from the bottom up, start the new Western Sydney side and pump in all those extra TV dollars... and for what, the hope that one day in 20 years time they will fill a 20,000 stadium... ( the Wests Tigers, one of 4 NRL sides in Western Sydney will do this just about every home game this year...)

Its a pipe dream to think this is going to happen in the near future... the AFL management is too smart to fall for this one, no matter what they say publicly..

And also, the Swans are very negative about the prospects of a second Sydney team....
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Willis 21 wrote:
Bring it on baby....

Rather than trying to put money into the grass roots and build it from the bottom up, start the new Western Sydney side and pump in all those extra TV dollars...
From what I've read it sounds like the AFL is planning on attacking both fronts with more $$$ for grassroots development and a new team.
Willis 21 wrote:
and for what, the hope that one day in 20 years time they will fill a 20,000 stadium... ( the Wests Tigers, one of 4 NRL sides in Western Sydney will do this just about every home game this year...)
Yeah it would be a long term investment. No one is denying it wouldn't be tough at times, but as the Swans have proven, Sydney provides great potential growth for the AFL. Think of it this way, Western Sydney would be able to draw up a potential supporter base that is larger than Perth and Adelaide put together. Having an AFL game in Sydney each weekend would also ensure more media coverage and hence interest. I can assure you that the 20,000 seat stadium at Blacktown would be too small for a local derby between Sydney and West Sydney. Telstra Stadium would be the only option in that case and that would be twice a season. Would make the NRL look small fry in comparision.
Willis 21 wrote:
Its a pipe dream to think this is going to happen in the near future... the AFL management is too smart to fall for this one, no matter what they say publicly..
You think it's a pipe dream. Yeah that would explain all the money being spent on Blacktown Stadium and grassroots footy in NSW and Sydney in particular. You probably thought at the time that moving the Swans to Sydney was a pipe dream at the time too.
Willis 21 wrote:
And also, the Swans are very negative about the prospects of a second Sydney team....
The Swans were negative about the Kangaroos as they thought, and were proved correct that the Roos never really understood or cared to understand the developing market in NSW at the time. Two teams can only be beneficial for the AFL and both clubs if you ask me. With more media interest, it ensures both the code and clubs remain in the spotlight. Port Adelaide and Fremantle are successful examples of why new teams should be added in both NSW and QLD. A huge untapped market awaits in Western Sydney and on the Gold Coast. The AFL can see this potential and is getting ready to move in, whether you believe it or not Willis. :wink:
Last edited by Beaussie on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Ok... I'll believe it when I see it...

Consider this though.. the AFL have just signed a new TV deal through to 2011 ( 12??)... I doubt they will make any changes to the competition before then ( at the earliest..).. They will keep it up there sleeve for the new TV deal negotiations...

You are certainly optomistic about AFL in West Sydney... didn't they have a clinic there with Nathan Buckley or someone last year, and one kid showed up?? :lol:

Also, no channel wants to show the AFL on free to air on Friday night next year up against the NRL double header... I see you always defending the fact that the Iron Chef only beat the AFL coverage during the half time, but what you don't mention is that the AFL coverage is a distant 4th on Saturday nights, behind such fare as the Bill on ABC and movies like Chicken Run and Dirty Dancing that have been repeated adnauseum...

The Swans have their niche of 40,000 or so that regulary attned games, but there is no interest from the wider community from casual supporters to even watch the games on TV...
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Willis 21 wrote:
Consider this though.. the AFL have just signed a new TV deal through to 2011 ( 12??)... I doubt they will make any changes to the competition before then ( at the earliest..).. They will keep it up there sleeve for the new TV deal negotiations...
16 teams is all the TV deal talks of. Doesn't matter where those teams are located.
Willis 21 wrote:
You are certainly optomistic about AFL in West Sydney... didn't they have a clinic there with Nathan Buckley or someone last year, and one kid showed up?? :lol:
Wrong:

http://collingwoodfc.com.au/default.asp ... =community
Willis 21 wrote:
Also, no channel wants to show the AFL on free to air on Friday night next year up against the NRL double header... I see you always defending the fact that the Iron Chef only beat the AFL coverage during the half time, but what you don't mention is that the AFL coverage is a distant 4th on Saturday nights, behind such fare as the Bill on ABC and movies like Chicken Run and Dirty Dancing that have been repeated adnauseum...

The Swans have their niche of 40,000 or so that regulary attned games, but there is no interest from the wider community from casual supporters to even watch the games on TV...
So how do you explain the 1 million + audience in Sydney for the AFL GF or the impressive figures achieved during the finals series, not to mention the increased audience figures last season during the H&A season? Did you know Channel 9's Sunday broadcasts of AFL Sunday regularly win their timeslot?
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Beaussie wrote:
So how do you explain the 1 million + audience in Sydney for the AFL GF or the impressive figures achieved during the finals series, not to mention the increased audience figures last season during the H&A season? Did you know Channel 9's Sunday broadcasts of AFL Sunday regularly win their timeslot?
The incident happened with Buckley last year - I'm sure you remember - it was a major embarrassment...obviously they have got their act together since then.

Have you got any idea how many people tune into the AFL on Sunday's when it wins its time slot?? Less than 100,000. Luckily they don't measure it against the audience watching the Rugby League on Fox at the same time isn't it??
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

From memory it was much more than 100,000. Still the fact Sunday AFL on Channel 9 wins its timeslot in Sydney is all that matters.

Have you got any figures for the Fox Sports Rugby League broadcast? I wouldn't think it would be that significant considering little more than 20% of the population actually have Foxtel.
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Its around 80,000 on Sunday Arvo's... they don't get much more than a 100,000 when they are on TV on Saturday nights in prime time!!!