2016 - NRL - Rugby League Crowds and TV Ratings [Running season tally in OP]

NRL, State of Origin and International football TV ratings and discussion.
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Re: Fight Club: 2016 NRL Rugby League Crowds and TV Ratings [Running season tally in OP]

Post by Xman »

Darren wrote:
I thought you would add up totals and work out averages over all games throughout the season. Surely total figures over the year say something about popularity as well though.

I suppose your method is coming from a AFL perspective. And didn't a League test match get big ratings recently?
Comparing averages makes a lot of sense but only IF the games are shown in a similar manner. However they make a lot less sense when one competition shows every game in isolation, and the other shows only 1 game per week in isolation. For example last night the NRL had a single game on at 7.30pm which rated rated 304k, while the AFL only rated 228k and 163k last night.

If you take averages into account only the NRL looks to have won the night easily. Yet this completely disregards the fact that the AFL games were competing directly against each other for viewers. In reality the AFL was watched by 391k between 7.30 and 10.30. Sure its two games, but you simply cannot watch two games at the same time, so taking an average of the two is unseasonable. You also need to take into account that the AFL games are also shown against FTA which appears to lower the fox ratings. The NRLs games have all experienced this when shown simulcast on fox and FTA, resulting in lower fox ratings

The AFL also recorded near 800k on FTA last night, but again, this was for 2 games. On the surface this looks like a pretty poor result for two FTA games. But looking further you see that neither game was shown nationally. Half the country saw one and half saw the other. So taking totals into account is again not the entire story.

So with these limitations in mind the only realistic comparison is like for like, which is Friday night. This is each competition's premier ratings night when they play most of their best matches. Each game is also shown nationally and on FTA and fox.

Do you think Friday nights games are an unreasonable comparison?
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Darren
Rookie
Rookie
Team: Waratahs

Re: Fight Club: 2016 NRL Rugby League Crowds and TV Ratings [Running season tally in OP]

Post by Darren »

Xman wrote:
Darren wrote:
I thought you would add up totals and work out averages over all games throughout the season. Surely total figures over the year say something about popularity as well though.

I suppose your method is coming from a AFL perspective. And didn't a League test match get big ratings recently?
Comparing averages makes a lot of sense but only IF the games are shown in a similar manner. However they make a lot less sense when one competition shows every game in isolation, and the other shows only 1 game per week in isolation. For example last night the NRL had a single game on at 7.30pm which rated rated 304k, while the AFL only rated 228k and 163k last night.

If you take averages into account only the NRL looks to have won the night easily. Yet this completely disregards the fact that the AFL games were competing directly against each other for viewers. In reality the AFL was watched by 391k between 7.30 and 10.30. Sure its two games, but you simply cannot watch two games at the same time, so taking an average of the two is unseasonable. You also need to take into account that the AFL games are also shown against FTA which appears to lower the fox ratings. The NRLs games have all experienced this when shown simulcast on fox and FTA, resulting in lower fox ratings

The AFL also recorded near 800k on FTA last night, but again, this was for 2 games. On the surface this looks like a pretty poor result for two FTA games. But looking further you see that neither game was shown nationally. Half the country saw one and half saw the other. So taking totals into account is again not the entire story.

So with these limitations in mind the only realistic comparison is like for like, which is Friday night. This is each competition's premier ratings night when they play most of their best matches. Each game is also shown nationally and on FTA and fox.

Well that's a very complicated answer. Obviously you are an AFL follower so you are doing back flips and hand stands to make AFL come out in front in your perspective. No problem, I'll leave it at that.
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels

Post by eelofwest »

eelofwest wrote:
NRL TV/PTV Ratings totals round by round without NZ Sky.

ROUND 1 TOTAL = 4.226m
ROUND 2 TOTAL 4.124m
ROUND 3 TOTAL: 3.738m Sunday FTA regionals missing
ROUND 4 TOTAL 4.027m
ROUND 5 TOTAL 4.130m
ROUND 6 TOTAL 4.175m
ROUND 7 TOTAL 4.218m
ROUND 8 TOTAL 4.194m
ROUND 9 TOTAL 4.054m
REP ROUND TOTAL 2.161m
ROUND 10 TOTAL 3.853m
ROUND 11 TOTAL 4.107m

2016 Total after Round 11 47.007m

NRL 2015 Total not including NZ
ROUND 1 TOTAL = 3.567m
ROUND 2 TOTAL 3.282m
ROUND 3 TOTAL: 3.104m
ROUND 4 TOTAL 3.023m
ROUND 5 TOTAL 3.656m
ROUND 6 TOTAL 3.361m
ROUND 7 TOTAL 3.364m
ROUND 8 TOTAL 3.178m
ROUND 9 TOTAL 2.716m
REP ROUND TOTAL 2.375m
ROUND 10 TOTAL 3.016m
ROUND 11 TOTAL 1.805m

2015 Total after Round 11 36.447m

Both these totals exclude Auckland Nines, Indigenous Allstars game, WCC, and Charity shield ratings.

So the NRL Currently over 10m ratings in front of the AFL with SOO 1, 2 , 3 to play and also without NZ Sky ratings.

So in Short the AFL will not get close to the aggregate total viewers the NRL will have at seasons end. :wink: :wink: =D> :lol:
:wink: :wink: :lol: :(/
Darren
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Darren »

Geez thats a big increase......I sometimes get amazed that the NRL gets such big ratings....but I suppose the numbers are the numbers....
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

eelofwest wrote:
eelofwest wrote:
NRL TV/PTV Ratings totals round by round without NZ Sky.

ROUND 1 TOTAL = 4.226m
ROUND 2 TOTAL 4.124m
ROUND 3 TOTAL: 3.738m Sunday FTA regionals missing
ROUND 4 TOTAL 4.027m
ROUND 5 TOTAL 4.130m
ROUND 6 TOTAL 4.175m
ROUND 7 TOTAL 4.218m
ROUND 8 TOTAL 4.194m
ROUND 9 TOTAL 4.054m
REP ROUND TOTAL 2.161m
ROUND 10 TOTAL 3.853m
ROUND 11 TOTAL 4.107m

2016 Total after Round 11 47.007m

NRL 2015 Total not including NZ
ROUND 1 TOTAL = 3.567m
ROUND 2 TOTAL 3.282m
ROUND 3 TOTAL: 3.104m
ROUND 4 TOTAL 3.023m
ROUND 5 TOTAL 3.656m
ROUND 6 TOTAL 3.361m
ROUND 7 TOTAL 3.364m
ROUND 8 TOTAL 3.178m
ROUND 9 TOTAL 2.716m
REP ROUND TOTAL 2.375m
ROUND 10 TOTAL 3.016m
ROUND 11 TOTAL 1.805m

2015 Total after Round 11 36.447m

Both these totals exclude Auckland Nines, Indigenous Allstars game, WCC, and Charity shield ratings.

So the NRL Currently over 10m ratings in front of the AFL with SOO 1, 2 , 3 to play and also without NZ Sky ratings.

So in Short the AFL will not get close to the aggregate total viewers the NRL will have at seasons end. :wink: :wink: =D> :lol:
:wink: :wink: :lol: :(/
aggregate means nothing whenthe NRL have far more games
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Darren
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Darren »

Oh...I thought the AFL had more teams........so more games......maybe get to the end of the season and see if the numbers still favour the NRL.
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Darren wrote:
Oh...I thought the AFL had more teams........so more games......maybe get to the end of the season and see if the numbers still favour the NRL.
ok, let me ask you this. As an NRL fan how many games of NRL could you watch this weekend, assuming you have foxtel?
docker24
Captain
Captain
Team: Port Adelaide Power

Post by docker24 »

Darren wrote:
Xman wrote:
Darren wrote:

Well that's a very complicated answer. Obviously you are an AFL follower so you are doing back flips and hand stands to make AFL come out in front in your perspective. No problem, I'll leave it at that.
Wow was that your replyy? what the f&$k are you on about? Talk about a dodge.
EST. 1870
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Xman wrote:
Darren wrote:
Gee, it's a bit hard to work that out Xman. By the end of the season the NRL will definitely have 4 of the 5 top shows on all TV and probably the most total viewers. But you say even if they get more viewers you still believe AFL is more popular??

To each his own opinion I suppose.
Its not hard to understand at all. The AFL have had 4 games this year rating over 1.3m from only 11 rounds. The NRL have had none from 13 rounds. In fact Id be surprised if theyve ever had a home and away game rate over 1.3m.

So which competition has a larger following on TV?

Total figures for the season prove very little as far as popularity goes because the longer season, more games, more games in prime time, more games shown in isolation will always have an advantage
It definitely wont compare after Wednesday night games gets x2 or x3 viewers. Everybody in there right mind at least.

What will your but but excuse be thne?

Total figures for a round of football are on par even though its 9 matches to 8 , throw in the rep games :rock: :rock: :rock:
Last edited by pussycat on Mon May 30, 2016 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

We dont have watchabke 9 games per round on TV, thats the point. No AFL fan can watch 9 games because all but 1 overlap. So the reality is its 8 nrl games v 6 (at max) AFL games. Multiply that deficit of 2 games pwr round over the season and the AFL have about 50 less watchable games per year. Realistically with that difference in schedule you should get 20-30m more every year

As for SOO, you comine your entire code for a ahort series of games that engage every fan. Surely you dont expext a game invovling 2 teams to beat it
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Your excuses are nothing more than crap, but but but and more bullshit. Why did the AFL introduce these two new teams if they've totally stuffed up your competition?

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Xman wrote:
We dont have watchabke 9 games per round on TV, thats the point. No AFL fan can watch 9 games because all but 1 overlap. So the reality is its 8 nrl games v 6 (at max) AFL games. Multiply that deficit of 2 games pwr round over the season and the AFL have about 50 less watchable games per year. Realistically with that difference in schedule you should get 20-30m more every year

As for SOO, you comine your entire code for a ahort series of games that engage every fan. Surely you dont expext a game invovling 2 teams to beat it

206 games a piece this includes our REP GAMES

SA AND WA get there own games upping the audience
otherwise it decreases when Melbourne teams are playing.

how can we get 30mill more per year, when 5 of the 8 games per week are on FOX

get ready for a belting this Wednesday :cheers:
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Xman wrote:
Darren wrote:
ok, let me ask you this. As an NRL fan how many games of NRL could you watch this weekend, assuming you have foxtel?
70 % of R League fans can watch 3 matches a week.
70% of AFL fans can watch 4 or slightly more.
The 30% of RL with PTV can watch 8.
The 30% of AFL with PTV can watch 7 and sometimes 8.

Meaning more AFL viewers have access to matches on TV.

At club level(ie. 85% of RL), at best, they do as well. When the other 15% is added added in, well :rock: :rock: :rock:

but but but there using there left hand!
Last edited by pussycat on Mon May 30, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

the NRL kicking the AFL's BUTT makes ya think why did AFL get more for TV RIGHTS DEAL...??

One thing.. More Advertising in the game... 70% more per game..

But hold on.. they only get 22 million per year more...??

with 2 extra teams... ??

1 hour longer ?

Gee Wiz...
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

pussycat wrote:
Xman wrote:
Darren wrote:
70 % of R League fans can watch 3 matches a week.
70% of AFL fans can watch 4 or slightly more.
The 30% with PTV can watch 8.
The 30% with PTV can watch 7 and sometimes 8.

Meaning more AFL viewers have access to matches on TV.

At club level(ie. 85%), at best, they do as well. When the other 15% is added do as well :rock: :rock: :rock:

but but but there using there left hand!
EXACTLY !!!! :cheers:

Pussycat watch XMAN come bak with but but but's