2018 - NRL - Rugby League TV Ratings

NRL, State of Origin and International football TV ratings and discussion.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Re: 2018 - Rugby League TV Ratings - NRL etc

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:36 pm
AFL (No Overlap)
Rd.1
Saturday (no matches)

Rd.2
Saturday
Carl v G Cst 1 – 3.30.... 162k / Easts v NZ 3 - 4.30 ............... 229K

R3
Saturday
Melb v Nth Melb 2 – 4.30....85k / Wests v Melb 3 – 4.30........177k
G. Cst v Free 4.30 -7..... 145k / NZ v Nth Qld 5 – 6.30.............243k
R4
Saturday
WB v Swans 4.30 – 7...... 221k / Nth Q v Bulldogs 5 – 6.30.......... 231k

60k, 90, 120k all 200 k without overlap :(/ :(/ :(/
R3 Melb v Nth Melbourne 2 - 4.30 pm overlapped with Port v Lions 1.30pm - 4pm :roll: So thanks for proving my point, yet again :cheers:

R2 Carl v Goldcoast started at 12.30pm is very early compared to our normal games, and is not as TV friendly as 3-5pm

Add to this:
1. almost every AFL game is also on FTA which appears to reduce STV ratings
2. STV subscription rates in SA and WA are lower than NSW and QLD which is hardly surprising given fans in these states can see their home team on FTA every week. Why would they need foxtel?
3. the AFL have 5 games on Saturday, and most fans wont watch all 5, they'll pick the game either involving their club or the better matchup on paper.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

LIVE: NRL SEA EAGLES V WESTS TIGERS FOX LEAGUE 210,000
3 LIVE: AFL ESSENDON V PORT ADELAIDE FOX FOOTY 187,000
4 LIVE: AFL GEELONG V ST KILDA FOX FOOTY 165,000
5 LIVE: NRL PANTHERS V TITANS FOX LEAGUE 156,000
6 LIVE: AFL HAWTHORN V MELBOURNE FOX SPORTS 503 145,000

The only matches above that overlapped were the AFL games, yet the ratings are close to the NRL ratings which were in isolation.

You laugh at the suns for getting 162k on FTA yet that beat the Panthers v Titans at 156k
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

All you've managed to do here pussycat is prove my point. AFL games which rate poorly on STV overlap with another AFL game. Matches which rate similar to the NRL are in isolation.

SO this clearly shows that showing games at the same time has a huge impact on TV ratings, and our comp has between 7 and 8 overlapping games every round, while yours has NONE.

And yet you have the gall to say the schedules are comparable. Err no they arent, not by a long shot. Furthermore you've always countered by saying that the AFL has more FTA games. Well not this year in Melbourne, theyre the same as the NRL. Yes Perth and Adelaide have more but they are far smaller markets AND have some of their games on hours delay and 7 mate.

The FTA advantage is really not a factor anymore. While the NRL has a huge advantage in STV ratings. SO this shows the cumulative ratings heavily favour the NRL for no other reason than the scheduling differences.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

3 matches were shown that didn't overlap . The only one that was close was when two good teams played. There was almost 100k difference each when the two weaker sides were involved .

PS. Rd 3 , Carlton v Gold Coast 1.30 - 4 http://www.afl.com.au/tv-radio/broadcastguide

There's no out and out golden rule. Some games are better than others.

You use this overlap excuse like a crutch. When your weaker sides play there ratings are embarrassing. and I do laugh at them because its a weekly occurrence.

Showing games on FTA is an advantage not a disadvantage - It's not rocket science
60k for the suns would have been 200k without overlap.
- :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ That's hilarious stuff.
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:18 pm
3 matches were shown that didn't overlap . The only one that was close was when two good teams played. There was almost 100k difference each when the two weaker sides were involved .
which games?
PS. Rd 3 , Carlton v Gold Coast 1.30 - 4 http://www.afl.com.au/tv-radio/broadcastguide

There's no out and out golden rule. Some games are better than others.
so that explains poor NRL ratings but not poor AFL ratings? :hmm:
You use this overlap excuse like a crutch. When your weaker sides play there ratings are embarrassing. and I do laugh at them because its a weekly occurrence.
you yourself have shown this again and again. Games in isolation rate 150-250. Games shown concurrently rate 50-150. Yes our weaker games rate less, but so do yours, and if your games were shown concurrently your poor games would rate just as bad because your neutral fans would always watch the better match. Prime time also pays a big part in it.
Showing games on FTA is an advantage not a disadvantage - It's not rocket science
I never said it was a disadvantage. However, the claim the AFL has a big FTA advantage is not true
60k for the suns would have been 200k without overlap.
- :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ That's hilarious stuff.[/quote]
well they got 160k in the afternoon. Prime time would add another 40k easily
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The thee games you quoted a couple of posts above! When the two poor ratings sides played without overlap and at a similar time to the NRl march there was almost 100k difference in each one. When the better team played not a lot of difference.

Not all games are good . The difference being the NRL's PTV rates well most times., the AFL not that often.

Oh, You didn't say that? I suggest you look back at some of your excuses .

Any rating loss from overlap is more than made up for with your all day coverage, duel channels combined with FTA coverage into home cities.

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NlolRL wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:51 pm
All you've managed to do here pussycat is prove my point. AFL games which rate poorly on STV overlap with another AFL game. Matches which rate similar to the NRL are in isolation.

SO this clearly shows that showing games at the same time has a huge impact on TV ratings, and our comp has between 7 and 8 overlapping games every round, while yours has NONE.

And yet you have the gall to say the schedules are comparable. Err no they arent, not by a long shot. Furthermore you've always countered by saying that the AFL has more FTA games. Well not this year in Melbourne, theyre the same as the NRL. Yes Perth and Adelaide have more but they are far smaller markets AND have some of their games on hours delay and 7 mate.

The FTA advantage is really not a factor anymore. While the NRL has a huge advantage in STV ratings. SO this shows the cumulative ratings heavily favour the NRL for no other reason than the scheduling differences.
what you never ever include or say>>

is yes the AFL do have games that start at the same time>>
but and its big BUT
these games are televised on FTA into the home states>> which get bigger figures on FTA than FOX

so yes why there is an disadvantage to showing games at the same time in some cases>>
unlike the NRL where it is exclusive to FOX

the AFL will get higher viewership as it is displayed on FTA into home states>>

ITS A BIG ADVANTAGE>>

AND AGAIN>> WHY THE AFL WORK LIKE THIS>>>

IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE>> EMAIL GIL
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:28 am
The thee games you quoted a couple of posts above! When the two poor ratings sides played without overlap and at a similar time to the NRl march there was almost 100k difference in each one. When the better team played not a lot of difference.

Not all games are good . The difference being the NRL's PTV rates well most times., the AFL not that often.

Any rating loss from overlap is more than made up for with your all day coverage, duel channels combined with FTA coverage into home cities.
The three stv games i quoted above all overlapped another AFL game so im not sure what youre on about.

I didnt say fTA was a disadvantage, i said fta effects stv. Games on STV only seem to rate better.

All day coverage is nice because it gives you options. But few if anyone will watch 9-10 hours of sport in a day. For an AFL fan to be counted 3 timed in ratings they to watch all 9 hours. An nrl fan only has to watch 6 hours and the ratings count them the same. You cant say that wouldnt have an effect.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:30 am

but and its big BUT
these games are televised on FTA into the home states>> which get bigger figures on FTA than FOX

so yes why there is an disadvantage to showing games at the same time in some cases>>

ITS A BIG ADVANTAGE>>

Ive already addressed this point repeatedly. It is an advantage to traget heartland markets with multiple games, but the afl has more heartland markets and more teams in different heartland markets. The NRL can target our equivalent of Perth and Adelaide in a single game when they show the broncos. For the AFL thats like showing all of the power, crows, eagles and dockers in a single game. The nrl get the same advantage without the need for multiple games
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NlolRL wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:27 pm

but and its big BUT

ITS A BIG ADVANTAGE>>

Ive already addressed this point repeatedly. It is an advantage to traget heartland markets with multiple games, but the afl has more heartland markets and more teams in different heartland markets. The NRL can target our equivalent of Perth and Adelaide in a single game when they show the broncos. For the AFL thats like showing all of the power, crows, eagles and dockers in a single game. The nrl get the same advantage without the need for multiple games
don't you think it is a huge negative>> of the NRL showing the BRONCOS
a they did in previous years all the time on Friday night>>

many people complained that the broncos were on every Friday night
and in fact I recan it affected viewers>>

thank goodness this has changed with a 50% reduction>>

again> there are many other teams >> for example the cowboys that are only on FTA 33% of all games

they rate extremely well, and if they were in the AFL>>

they would have all games on FTA>>
giving a huge advantage in ratings.
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

NlolRL wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:22 pm

The three stv games i quoted above all overlapped another AFL game so im not sure what youre on about.

I didnt say fTA was a disadvantage, i said fta effects stv. Games on STV only seem to rate better.

All day coverage is nice because it gives you options. But few if anyone will watch 9-10 hours of sport in a day. For an AFL fan to be counted 3 timed in ratings they to watch all 9 hours. An nrl fan only has to watch 6 hours and the ratings count them the same. You cant say that wouldnt have an effect.
I posted you a link ! try looking at it!

C ant you understand! you cant have everything your way. both competitions have there + and - but your set up is every bit as good as the NRL's and a mile better on Saturday.

NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:57 pm
NlolRL wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:22 pm

I posted you a link ! try looking at it!

C ant you understand! you cant have everything your way. both competitions have there + and - but your set up is every bit as good as the NRL's and a mile better on Saturday.
We do have a good schedule for the fans, but concurrent scheduling, games early afternoon, and longer games means it doesnt translate into high ratings for every game. Showing 2 games at the same time doesnt equal double rhe ratings. It my if only fans of each team watched, but the majority of the TV audience are neutrals, and they cant watch 2 games at the same time.

And you said the games i posted, now youre saying the games you linked. Make up your mind
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:27 pm

but and its big BUT

ITS A BIG ADVANTAGE>>

again> there are many other teams >> for example the cowboys that are only on FTA 33% of all games

So are you trying to tell me the cowboys outrate the broncos?
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NlolRL wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:24 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:27 pm

So are you trying to tell me the cowboys outrate the broncos?
never even pointed to that they rate higher than the broncos>>

REGIONALS Are higher for cowboys games though...

my point in fact was>>

Would it be annoying if in the past you had to watch Collingwood every Friday night??
if yes..

continue to my next point>>

Would it annoy fans of the game having to watch Collingwood ??

also would it make you switch off ?

(also my other point was)

if the Cowboys were in the AFL scheuling. they would be on FTA each week..
which is a huge advantage the AFL scheuling...

as 70% of there games are restricted to FOX
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

NRLBulldogsRoosters 625k (Metro 374k Regional 251k) + PTV 205 = 830