Make the call: How much will the NRL and AFL will get from the next TV rights deal

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Re: Make the call: How much will the NRL and AFL will get from the next TV rights deal

Post by Xman »

ParraEelsNRL wrote:
Swans4ever wrote:
As we approach the era of direct streaming as the preferred choice to watch the game IMO TV ratings will decline for ALL codes meaning that the true test will be who's online streaming revenues are the greatest. I wonder who will really win this - no one seems to mention what the ratings are like for Foxtel and compare them with one another - it seems that free to air gets preference yet IMO it is a steadily declining medium who's relevance will continue to lessen with each passing year. Will RL people who tune into any match yet not purchase a membership pay to watch a match or will it be the reverse for AFL? Interesting times ahead!

When they have let out of the bag what what is rating via streams, the NRL is kicking the afl's arse, and that's with the afl having over 12 months head start.
nice story but bullshit
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach
Team: Sydney Swans

Re: Make the call: How much will the NRL and AFL will get from the next TV rights deal

Post by Swans4ever »

leeroy*NRL* wrote:
I think the 2 codes will be neck and neck.. as what wookie stated NRL has the content.
Judging what the NRL has done rejecting 1.5Bill from Channel 9 recently (only Speculation) which is most likely true.
They definitely think they will get more.

If NRL Expand with 2 extra teams, they will nudge the AFL but only Just.

1.75 Billion. is the Call.
While I don't necessarily disagree if they expand and in the right markets - much depends on the recent down turn in TV revenue through advertising. Advertisers are now spending a larger proportion on things like Facebook and YouTube so 1.75 bil over 5 years is 350 mil a year in advertising dollars they need to cover BEFORE they think of profit. And let's face it no TV station is gunna do it for free! If crowds drop at the game the atmosphere on the TV also drops and the interest. That's why I think crowds are relevant. Membership is a way of getting those extra dollars e.g. AFL says to TV station we have 1 mil paid up members - we annually have 6 mill attend our games - these people are passionate and willing to part with their hard earned if it is associated with our game - TV station says ok we will give you x then. Another code says we have large ratings but low attendance and membership - are the audience really interested in the game or just watching something other than my kitchen rules? Will that translate into someone buying the product we are trying to flog when they don't spend anything on what they are watching?? Memberships are regard as 10% of you actual support - so again what will the NRL do if their crowds continue to drop and membership doesn't rise??
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

http://www.news.com.au/news/nsw/on-bour ... 7365878144
GYNGELL’S NRL BID

Nine boss David Gyngell has tried to lock up the NRL media rights quickly, with sources saying he was prepared to pay as much as $1.5 billion. Sources close to Gyngell insist he told NRL boss Dave Smith earlier this month that Nine was willing to pay the record amount for a new five-year deal, although Nine’s spin doctor denies the figure.

Either way, Smith was not tempted to take Gyngell’s gold so early in the negotiating process, telling him he was committed to fully testing the market. Eddie McGuire’s buddy and former Nine exec Jeff “Buckets” Browne has been lured back to handle negotiations for the network. NRL bosses are hoping Fox Sports combines forces with the cash-strapped Network Ten to drive the price up towards $2 billion.
Hope you lose the rights nein, ya a pack of arseholes who treat the game like shit whilst pumping up your rivals, you don't deserve to have any part whatsoever in broadcasting Rugby League.
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

See that, always got to mention afl or someone to do with afl when talking rugby league, and nein have always got to have someone involved in afl mentioned or talked about coming back as in this brown fella.

A pack of arseholes, just fuck off and put all your money into australias shame while RL hopefully goes to 10 and fox.
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach

Post by Swans4ever »

ParraEelsNRL wrote:
See that, always got to mention afl or someone to do with afl when talking rugby league, and nein have always got to have someone involved in afl mentioned or talked about coming back as in this brown fella.

A pack of arseholes, just fuck off and put all your money into australias shame while RL hopefully goes to 10 and fox.
Obviously an avid watcher of channel 9!
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Used to be, I only watch the big bang theory, the footy and if I have to their news, but if you have seen their news you'd realise what a pack of feminist feeding fuckstiques they are with their bash the man but not if he's gay type of thing.

Makes me fucking sick :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach

Post by Swans4ever »

ParraEelsNRL wrote:
Used to be, I only watch the big bang theory, the footy and if I have to their news, but if you have seen their news you'd realise what a pack of feminist feeding fuckstiques they are with their bash the man but not if he's gay type of thing.

Makes me fucking sick :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
Only watch Foxtel when after my 3 yr old has gone to bed, so wouldn't know.
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Lies.

How do you get your weekly afl fix, put your child to bed in the afternoon each weekend arvo?
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach

Post by Swans4ever »

ParraEelsNRL wrote:
Lies.

How do you get your weekly afl fix, put your child to bed in the afternoon each weekend arvo?
We have two Foxtel sets - my wife lets my daughter watch the other set
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Swans4ever wrote:
leeroy*NRL* wrote:
I think the 2 codes will be neck and neck.. as what wookie stated NRL has the content.
Judging what the NRL has done rejecting 1.5Bill from Channel 9 recently (only Speculation) which is most likely true.
They definitely think they will get more.

If NRL Expand with 2 extra teams, they will nudge the AFL but only Just.

1.75 Billion. is the Call.
While I don't necessarily disagree if they expand and in the right markets - much depends on the recent down turn in TV revenue through advertising. Advertisers are now spending a larger proportion on things like Facebook and YouTube so 1.75 bil over 5 years is 350 mil a year in advertising dollars they need to cover BEFORE they think of profit. And let's face it no TV station is gunna do it for free! If crowds drop at the game the atmosphere on the TV also drops and the interest. That's why I think crowds are relevant. Membership is a way of getting those extra dollars e.g. AFL says to TV station we have 1 mil paid up members - we annually have 6 mill attend our games - these people are passionate and willing to part with their hard earned if it is associated with our game - TV station says ok we will give you x then. Another code says we have large ratings but low attendance and membership - are the audience really interested in the game or just watching something other than my kitchen rules? Will that translate into someone buying the product we are trying to flog when they don't spend anything on what they are watching?? Memberships are regard as 10% of you actual support - so again what will the NRL do if their crowds continue to drop and membership doesn't rise??
Its a Big Problem for the NRL
while memberships continue to climb at a slow rate.

crowds are just steady at the 16k Avg mark.
It never really goes down in really ever goes up.

the past 10years crowds have stayed the same, but the tv contracts have grown.
so I guess it will still grow no matter what crowds do.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

The networks wont be paying billions for crowd or Membership figures . the networks will be paying for there ratings!

And I cant see the NRL rushing into expansion - they'll do whats best for the game.

My guess, would be more than the AFl :thumbleft:
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Yep .we get accused of always falling back on ratings .

Now in a ratings related thread,we have the southern hicks screaming ...
Cwowds cwowds .memberships .
Lol
Pot meet kettle
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach

Post by Swans4ever »

AFLcrap1 wrote:
Yep .we get accused of always falling back on ratings .

Now in a ratings related thread,we have the southern hicks screaming ...
Cwowds cwowds .memberships .
Lol
Pot meet kettle
Read what I wrote - I said with live streaming coming in and low crowds this could affect the value of the product etc - if you saw my post earlier I said that the AFL and the NRL would still be roughly the same but I question how much long they will get record TV rights deals. Man you are so bitter and twisted you assume everything is a swipe at RL rather than a coment on both codes. You are very narcissistic!
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol go back & read what you wrote .
Seriously you couldn't lie straight in bed .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

NRL: for 5 years

FTA $800m
Expansion $75m
PTV $900m
Internet $180m
international $140m

Total $2.095B

More gold to the NRL :cheers:
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys