TV Deals - the facts

Discuss the footy industry, crowds, tv ratings, memberships, sponsorships and the finances of all Australian football codes and clubs
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

TV Deals - the facts

Post by Beaussie »

The AFL clearly the biggest code when it comes to TV deals.
TELEVISION DEALS

AFL

$250m per annum (Seven/FoxSports/Telstra)

Games per AFL season: 207

2013 Seven/Fox reg season average: 687,000

NRL

$200m per annum (Nine/FoxSports/Telstra)

Games per NRL season: 201

2013 Nine/Fox reg season average: 478,000

Average Origin audience: 3.99m

FOOTBALL

$40m per annum (FoxSports/SBS)

A League games per season: 150

Average AL audience in 2013: 81,000

Socceroos games in 2013: 8

Average SBS/Fox Socceroos audience for games in Australia (4): 1.17m

RUGBY

$25m per annum (FoxsSports)

Games per SR season: 130 (in Aus/NZ: up to 89).

2013 average SR audience: 63,000 (Aus/NZ games only: 88,000)

Wallabies games in 2013: 14

Average Ten/Fox Wallabies audience for games in Australia/NZ (8): 1.19m

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6874865294
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Re: TV Deals - the facts

Post by pussycat »

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) has announced a new television rights deal with the Nine and Fox Sports networks worth more than $1 billion over five years.

ARLC chairman John Grant announced to the media the five-year deal with Nine and Fox Sports is worth $1.025 billion, comprising $925 million in cash and a further $100m in advertising.

The deal is only just short of the $1.253 billion five-year deal the AFL boasted last year when improving on its previous deal of $749 million.

Grant said the new league TV agreement deal does not include rights to broadcast games in New Zealand, or rights for mobile and online broadcast with further revenue to be raised through those deals

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-21/l ... al/4212336
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

a few 000k more , easily eclipsed by the telstra/NRL apps joint venture. - I would'nt be looking in the News LTD press if its facts your after. a few 100k difference , possibly , easily eclipsed by the telstra/NRL apps partnership.

Enjoy your silver medal! and remember If we didn't have losers we wouldn't have winners.

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra
Been liked: 0

Post by Raiderdave »

The_Wookie wrote:
Facts Ill give you facts

Annual Report figures and stuff. You know the ones that conclusively show the AFL receives more from its media rights. - AFl 234 million - without 26 million in contra. NRL 221 million, status of contra unknown. Thats end of story stuff right there.
is 1.253 Million divided by 5

234 million dickhead ?

no
its 250.6
meaning SHOCK HORROR .... your annual report figures can't be right .. can they :lol: :lol: :(/ :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<>

so
one can assume the 221 for the NRL isn't right either :wink:

the NRLs figures again for our slow witted fumblers

Aust TV
1.025 Bill

NZ TV
100 Mill

Digital Online & Naming
180 Mill

1.305 Bill all up
end of :cool:
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The_Wookie wrote:
pussycat wrote:
a few 000k more , easily eclipsed by the telstra/NRL apps joint venture. - I would'nt be looking in the News LTD press if its facts your after. a few 100k difference , possibly , easily eclipsed by the telstra/NRL apps partnership.

Enjoy your silver medal! and remember If we didn't have losers we wouldn't have winners.
haha - my figures come from the leagues annual reports. You have no idea what the apps partnership is delivering - and wont probably see a result until the next annual report given it only just started.
I don't, but the difference between the two contracts was miniscure.

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The NRL were known to be after $20m.

The previous contract with SKY was worth $14m .

it was reported as the largest contract ever.

adamj1300
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by adamj1300 »

Raiderdave wrote:
The_Wookie wrote:
Facts Ill give you facts

Annual Report figures and stuff. You know the ones that conclusively show the AFL receives more from its media rights. - AFl 234 million - without 26 million in contra. NRL 221 million, status of contra unknown. Thats end of story stuff right there.
is 1.253 Million divided by 5

234 million dickhead ?

no
its 250.6
meaning SHOCK HORROR .... your annual report figures can't be right .. can they :lol: :lol: :(/ :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<>

so
one can assume the 221 for the NRL isn't right either :wink:

the NRLs figures again for our slow witted fumblers

Aust TV
1.025 Bill

NZ TV
100 Mill

Digital Online & Naming
180 Mill

1.305 Bill all up
end of :cool:
read the NRL annual report idiot, your figures are different to it.
so again you fail :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

pussycat wrote:
The NRL were known to be after $20m.

The previous contract with SKY was worth $14m .

it was reported as the largest contract ever.
For all we know the NRL deal may have been worth just over the previous $14m as it was never reported. That would still be the largest contract ever right. Certainly doesn't mean the $20m the NRL was after was achieved. In fact you'd suspect it wasn't as I'm sure they would have boasted about it if that was the case.
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The $14m comes from sky - its a negotiation. I can recall Gyngell and Foxtel's sporting directors talking down the ARL and saying 800k would be nearer the mark. they soon came up with the money when push came to shove. fox/c9 payed about 225% more than there previous contract, Telstra more than doubled but Sky didn't pay 33% more - Who's clutching at straws :roll:

Couln't find the article claiming it was the largest contract, but I did read it.

As far as the Telstra deal goes you have no idea. The Finance Review guy (Steinholt ) had no real idea. one day hes putting the deal at 100m a few days later he's he saying it could be $150m. The only thing we know is that it was more than double the previous contract.
Last edited by pussycat on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The_Wookie wrote:

Whose clutching? we KNOW who got more in total. All im doing is pointing out what we know about the NZ deal
NRL profit: $50m
AFL Profit: $17m
This is what we know for sure!

The NRL announcement says nothing of the kind, and you'd expect it to be mentioned.
I Didnt say that the article, mentioning it was the biggest deal ever, came from the ARL - I think it may have been an NZ article. Most Bussiness men dont give full details of there deals.

As I said in my previous post, if 9/fox came up with an increase of 225% on there previous deal to give the NRL the 2 billion they were after, and Telsta more than doubled there previous deal. then why not Sky.

yes, because I totally made the figure up and all. I mean wherever would i get the idea it was only $150 million.
maybe you read it in of the financial review columnist differing attempts, or one similiar. I don't .

I'm not accusing you of making the figure up - I'm just not sure where you got the info from, The Fin view bloke seems to be guessing.

Why is Dave wrong and your so right?

The financial size of the deal was not disclosed, but it was confirmed as double the previous arrangement, believed to be worth $15 million a season, implying a total value of as much as $150 million.
NB... note the words 'not disclosed' and 'believed to be'

TELSTRA has sealed a mobile broadcasting rights and sponsorship deal with the National Rugby League worth about $100 million... But the Australian Rugby League Commission's chairman, John Grant, indicated that the new five-year deal with Telstra would be worth more than $100 million and ''double'' the value of the previous deal.
http://www.bandt.com.au/news/media/tels ... tal-rights
Telstra has completed a five-year $100m deal for the digital rights for the NRL, allowing the telco to stream all NRL matches to tablets and mobile devices.
http://www.businessspectator.com.au/new ... ights-deal
Telstra has sealed a digital rights and sponsorship deal worth over $100 million with Australian Rugby League Commission.
Worth noting that only the Australian quotes the full 90 million as being doubled. based on EVERY other outlet, I think this included the naming rights for the last deal.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 6535395267#
Under the five-year deal Telstra has agreed to double the $90 million it is believed to have paid the ARLC in 2007. In return it gains the exclusive broadcast rights to stream live rugby league matches to mobile phones and tablets regardless of their carrier.
[/quote]

The financial review bloke having two attempts , while others range from $100 -180m. Sounds like guesses to me.
Last edited by pussycat on Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

pussycat wrote:
The_Wookie wrote:

Whose clutching? we KNOW who got more in total. All im doing is pointing out what we know about the NZ deal
NRL profit: $50m
AFL Profit: $17m
This is what we know for sure!

The NRL announcement says nothing of the kind, and you'd expect it to be mentioned.
I Didnt say that the article, mentioning it was the biggest deal ever, came from the ARL - I think it may have been an NZ article. Most Bussiness men dont give full details of there deals.

As I said in my previous post, if 9/fox came up with an increase of 225% on there previous deal to give the NRL the 2 billion they were after, and Telsta more than doubled there previous deal. then why not Sky.

yes, because I totally made the figure up and all. I mean wherever would i get the idea it was only $150 million.
maybe you read it in one of the financial review articles differing attempts, or one similiar. I don't know.

I'm not accusing you of making the figure up - I'm just not sure where you got the info from, The Fin view bloke seems to be guessing.

Why is Dave wrong and your so right?

The financial size of the deal was not disclosed, but it was confirmed as double the previous arrangement, believed to be worth $15 million a season, implying a total value of as much as $150 million.
NB... note the words 'not disclosed' and 'believed to be'

TELSTRA has sealed a mobile broadcasting rights and sponsorship deal with the National Rugby League worth about $100 million... But the Australian Rugby League Commission's chairman, John Grant, indicated that the new five-year deal with Telstra would be worth more than $100 million and ''double'' the value of the previous deal.
http://www.bandt.com.au/news/media/tels ... tal-rights
Telstra has completed a five-year $100m deal for the digital rights for the NRL, allowing the telco to stream all NRL matches to tablets and mobile devices.
http://www.businessspectator.com.au/new ... ights-deal
Telstra has sealed a digital rights and sponsorship deal worth over $100 million with Australian Rugby League Commission.
Worth noting that only the Australian quotes the full 90 million as being doubled. based on EVERY other outlet, I think this included the naming rights for the last deal.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 6535395267#
Under the five-year deal Telstra has agreed to double the $90 million it is believed to have paid the ARLC in 2007. In return it gains the exclusive broadcast rights to stream live rugby league matches to mobile phones and tablets regardless of their carrier.

The financial review reporter had two attempts , while others range from $100 -180m. Sounds like guesses to me.[/quote]

1)"Grant said the amount was double the previous deal" 2) the previous amount was $90m. - That doesn't sound like guesswork.