Rugby Union news and discussion.
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:
Been liked: 0

Latest on Wendell

Post by Willis 21 »

Beaussie, I'm really disappointed that you started the thread on the APC and broke up the run of Wendell threads :evil:

What else is there to talk about in Union other than Wendell?? Certainly not any of the matches....

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/article ... SAILOR.XML
Sailor plans return to league if ban reduced
Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:35 AM BST

SYDNEY, Sept 11 (Reuters) - Suspended Australia winger Wendell Sailor says he hopes to return to rugby league if his appeal against a doping ban is successful.

Sailor represented Australia in rugby league before switching codes in a blaze of publicity in 2002, but says he is now keen to return to his roots.

The Australian Rugby Union (ARU) terminated Sailor's contract when he was handed a two-year suspension after testing positive for cocaine during this year's Super 14 competition.

Sailor is appealing against the severity of the ban, arguing that the World Anti-Doping Agency's penalty code for recreational drug use is too harsh.

"Anyone that's ever been in trouble for social drugs, they don't take it to enhance their performance," he told Australia's Nine Network.

"Something has got to be done about that code."

Sailor, who played 37 rugby union tests for the Wallabies including the 2003 World Cup final, said he wanted to return to league if the ban was reduced.

"If that opportunity came along and hopefully if my ban got cut, I would probably love nothing more than to run out there," he said.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Beaussie »

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the NRL took Wendall back. I can see him already back in a Broncos jersey.
The Portonian
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by The Portonian »

Hrm, lesse, Wendell Sailor, 32 yrs old, drug tainted, headline seeking prima donna...would the Broncs really be so stupid as to offer this guy a lifeline? He's lost a mountain of pace, has little to no discipline in his ethos, believes he is as good as he was during his prime (no matter what the statistics prove). Even if he were to have his sentance wiped away completely, he would be 33 midway through next season, do the Broncos even need a winger or (heaven forbid he may think of himself as one) a centre? His age counts heavily against him, as a speed man without any real ball playing skills to qualify him as a true centre, at best he'd offer one, maybe two years service before he'd be right over the hill in terms of age and ability.

Personally I think the Broncos would be idiots to offer him a lifeline when they clearly have younger and better talent at their disposal for their backline. At best he'd be a promotional tool (much like he was for the Wallabies) and nothing more. I could see a real struggler club like the Rabbitohs offering him a contract, although that would also be a heavy risk and something I don't think Crowe and co. would allow to happen. All in all, big Dell should just cut his losses, accept the disgrace that was his own fault and noone elses, find something else to do in life (there's always the time honoured measure of migrating from sports to media afterall). His career is over, he is about the only person in the country that refuses to admit it however.