What Kind of Message is this from the NRL?

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

What Kind of Message is this from the NRL?

Post by Beaussie »

Even NRL board members are involved in alleged drunken assaults. Actually, him apologising to hotel staff suggests something did indeed happen - not to mention him not denying the allegations. Nevermind I suppose, his job is safe on the NRL board. Leadership at is best. What a great rolemodel. :roll:
NRL chairman backs Tallis
By Wayne Heming and Steve Jancetic
August 17, 2006
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 14,00.html

GORDEN Tallis's position on the NRL board appears safe after an assault complaint against the former Brisbane, Queensland and Australia forward was dropped today.

Tallis was alleged to have thrown a glass at a barman at the Regatta Hotel in inner-west Brisbane on Monday, but police said today the complaint against the former Broncos skipper had been withdrawn.

NRL chairman Barry Pierce said the issue would be discussed further when the board next met in a fortnight's time but he didn't expect Tallis' position to be in jeopardy.

"I've just been informed the fellow's putting out a public apology and the complaint's been dropped," Pierce said.

"If there's no allegations and no charges, I can't see there being (any issue)."

Tallis was having drinks with his wife and other ex-players when the incident occurred.

Tallis, who neither admitted his involvement nor accepted any blame for the incident, returned to the hotel on Tuesday to apologise to the hotel manager and the male staff member.

One of the game's former powerbrokers meanwhile warned rugby league today that it would be throwing away one of its best assets if it were to sack Tallis over the incident.

Retired Australian Rugby League chairman Ken Arthurson cautioned officials about overreacting following a spate of alcohol-related player dramas this season.

"I think Gorden Tallis is a good man and it would be a bloody shame if they took such a drastic step as sacking him off the board," Arthurson said.

He doesn't deserve to be sacked.

"His reputation for what he has done for the game, and can still contribute to the game, makes him a very valuable asset to the game.

"You can bet your life he won't get involved in anything like that again, I'm certain of that."

Arthurson, who struggled to recall a board member being sacked during his record 14-year reign as ARL chairman, said Tallis had too much to offer rugby league to lose his position over an incident that he said was totally out of character.

"I don't think it's a sacking incident," he said.

"We've all done things we regret.

"He's apologised and nobody would be more contrite than Gorden, I would think.

"I don't think people should make a mountain out of a molehill."

Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett refused to get involved in speculation about Tallis's future on the NRL board, but he went to his former captain's defence today - describing him as a "fine man".

Tallis played 169 games under Bennett over eight seasons before a neck injury forced his early retirement.

Bennett, who recently sacked two players for repeated alcohol-induced offences over the past 18 months, spoke only about Tallis' character.

"I worked with Gorden Tallis here for a long time, and Gorden Tallis is a fine man," he said.

"He's a very responsible person ... I trust Gorden Tallis."

Appointed to the NRL board after he retired in 2004, Tallis played eight seasons with the Broncos.

He also played 20 State of Origin games for Queensland, and 11 Tests for the Australia - one as captain.

His fresh and honest style on the NRL board have been widely applauded by many people as he's travelled the country as the game's most popular ambassador.

As a player, he always accepted responsibility for his actions - including his highly publicised feud with leading referee Bill Harrigan and his ugly incident with Penrith prop Ben Ross.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

I think its a good thing gordy still has the fire in the belly :lol: . He was one of the most aggressive players on the field and i see no reason for him to change his ways. As ive said before if the guy played afl he would've only needed to learn how to bounce the ball, after that he'd steamroll through any 18 'men' in the afl today.

Well done gordy!

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?