AFL Gf smashes NRL GF on social media

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

AFL Gf smashes NRL GF on social media

Post by Xman »

Although the Twittersphere went into its expected overdrive on Sunday night for the NRL Grand Final between the Sydney Roosters and the Manly Sea Eagles, the numbers fell well short of the mania of the previous weekend’s AFL Grand Final in Melbourne.

Total social messages hit 145,435 on Sunday for the big NRL finale, with 111,565 of those coming on Twitter. This represented 63,000 fewer messages than the AFL Grand Finals received a week previously.
http://www.bandt.com.au/news/digital/nr ... -on-twitte

:mrgreen:
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Stewie
Coach
Coach
Team: Port Adelaide Football Club

Re: AFL Gf smashes NRL GF on social media

Post by Stewie »

Wow, and on a Saturday afternoon! Twitter would crash if the grand final was in prime time!
Raiderdave wrote:

7K is a tremendous turnout
Rabbit
Seniors
Seniors
Team: South Sydney FC

Post by Rabbit »

And in breaking news the NRLs facebook page has 46000 more likes than the AFLs. This must be the sealer
"The Victorian game may be the best game of football, but if it is so manifestly superior, one would fancy it could plead its own cause, and not require advertising like a quack pill."
Stewie
Coach
Coach

Post by Stewie »

Rabbit wrote:
And in breaking news the NRLs facebook page has 46000 more likes than the AFLs. This must be the sealer
The nRL advertise their page, the AFL don't. The AFL has like 50,000 more twitter followers for the record.
Raiderdave wrote:

pHyR3
Captain
Captain
Team: Wests Tigers

Post by pHyR3 »

Stewie wrote:
Rabbit wrote:
The nRL advertise their page, the AFL don't. The AFL has like 50,000 more twitter followers for the record.
AFL has more twitter followers because they follow 10,000 people while the NRL page follows about 200 people.

Thought i'd add up the facebook likes from every team from both codes:

AFL 550k

Collingwood 244k
Essendon 242k
St. Kilda 93k
Hawthorn 128k
West Coast 144k
Carlton 150k
Sydney Swans 125k
Richmond 122k
Adelaide 109k
Freemantle 98k
Geelong 64k
Port Adelaide 58k
North Melbourne 54k
Western Bulldogs 57k
Brisbane Lions 63k
Suns 63k
Melbourne 35k
Giants 32k

Total: 2431k

NRL 597k
Broncos 294k
Wests Tigers 169k
Rabbitohs 157k
Warriors 123k
Storm 234k compared to 125k from the swans
Roosters 84k and another page 50k which I will not count
Sharks 62k
Knights 76k
Cowboys 74k and two other pages of 94k together which i won't count
Titans 123k
Eagles 89k
Eels 161k
Bulldogs 133k
Raiders 63k
Panthers 51k
Dragons 85k and another 34k page which im not counting

Total: 2575k

Adding other pages total: 2753k

Adding representative teams: Blues 267k + Marrons 450k + Kangaroos 98k + Kiwis 126k = 3694k

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: Thanks for playing 2.6 million for NRL, 2.4 million for AFL WITHOUT any extra fan pages or representative teams.
NRLCrap1 wrote:
Ignorant goose. International AFL is big and don't you forget it!
NRLCrap1 wrote:
Crowds don't mean squat.
the stupidity....

pHyR3
Captain
Captain

Post by pHyR3 »

Also, looking at their respective graphs for likes and 'people talking about this'

AFL peaked at 4.2k likes per week and 74k talking about this page

NRL peaked at 13k likes per week and 139k talking about this page
NRLCrap1 wrote:
NRLCrap1 wrote:
Crowds don't mean squat.
the stupidity....

cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman

Post by cos789 »

pHyR3 wrote:
Also, looking at their respective graphs for likes and 'people talking about this'
[/quote]

Wow, if only your energies could be put towards something useful.

So the social media mirrors the commercial media with a clear win to AFL -
more people interested in the mechanics of football.
It mirrors attendances where more than twice the number of people are
interested enough to attend the game.

Now, even accepting that your figures are correct what does it mean?
It means people have pushed the "like" button". WTF
pHyR3 wrote:
AFL peaked at 4.2k likes per week and 74k talking about this page
NRL peaked at 13k likes per week and 139k talking about this page
So is this the AFL page or the AFL clubs page?
Nice try Cos.
pHyR3
Captain
Captain

Post by pHyR3 »

The entire thread is about social media, im just addressing the claim proposed by the article or whatever.

That's the AFL page.

"So the social media mirrors the commercial media with a clear win to AFL"

errrr..... no it doesn't. Highlights a clear win in fan base to the NRL in the younger segment of the population. i.e. the NRL can tap into that with proper marketing etc. in the coming years.
NRLCrap1 wrote:
NRLCrap1 wrote:
Crowds don't mean squat.
the stupidity....

cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman

Post by cos789 »

pHyR3 wrote:
The entire thread is about social media, im just addressing the claim proposed by the article or whatever.

That's the AFL page.

"So the social media mirrors the commercial media with a clear win to AFL"
Look, if you think hitting the "like" button means much then you must be thick as....
a rl fan.
Nice try Cos.
NRLCrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB

Post by NRLCrap1 »

That's what I was going to say, Cos! Mind you, follows on Twitter are just as useless.

Tweets are what count on Twitter. Facebook depends of status's and comments.
DON'T MAKE ANY BETS WITH ELIAGH!! HE WELCHES WHEN HE LOSES!!
DAVE'S RIVER IN EGYPT - JUNIOR ACT TEAMS: AFL 109 RL 107
CHEWBACCA IS A GOOSE! A GOOSE I TELL YOU! A GOOSE!
Stewie
Coach
Coach

Post by Stewie »

nRL fans show their support for clubs by hitting like on Facebook. AFL fans show support by purchasing memberships and going to games. There lies the difference ;)

And what on earth does the AFL following people have to do with them having more followers???
Raiderdave wrote:

Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

A like on facebok is not even close to the same as the twitter traffic for a single event like a game. People "like" something once ever and they are counted. The tweets showed the interest in a single event and the AFL GF smashed the NRL GF

Oh and you want to talk social media popularity, whats the largest RL forum in Australia? Bigfooty has over 100k members and 29 million posts. How does 29 million compare to NRL likes on facebook?
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
pHyR3
Captain
Captain

Post by pHyR3 »

Xman wrote:
A like on facebok is not even close to the same as the twitter traffic for a single event like a game. People "like" something once ever and they are counted. The tweets showed the interest in a single event and the AFL GF smashed the NRL GF

Oh and you want to talk social media popularity, whats the largest RL forum in Australia? Bigfooty has over 100k members and 29 million posts. How does 29 million compare to NRL likes on facebook?
And yea, the AFL GF for 2013 was bigger than the NRL, i will freely admit that. Better management, interstate competition and your game has a good set of rules while the NRL needs a massive change for 2013.

Also, you talk about a 'like' being nothing. while i disagree, I also gave stats for people TALKING about that page, i.e. posting comments, clearly showed NRL ahead of AFL. taking the peak figure for both GFs.

there isn't a single BIG forum for the NRL, each club has there own. Like the Bulldogs one which has 2 million posts

And you're gonna now equate 29 million POSTS to likes?? you ALONE have 10,000 posts, but you can only have have ONE maybe two likes. hardly the same mate....

Edit: Also, bigfooty goes back to the year 2000. So 14 years haha
Last edited by pHyR3 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRLCrap1 wrote:
NRLCrap1 wrote:
Crowds don't mean squat.
the stupidity....

Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

pHyR3 wrote:
Xman wrote:

And yea, the AFL GF for 2013 was bigger than the NRL, i will freely admit that. Better management, interstate competition and your game has a good set of rules while the NRL needs a massive change for 2013.

Also, you talk about a 'like' being nothing. while i disagree, I also gave stats for people TALKING about that page, i.e. posting comments, clearly showed NRL ahead of AFL. taking the peak figure for both GFs.

there isn't a single BIG forum for the NRL, each club has there own. Like the Bulldogs one which has 2 million posts

And you're gonna now equate 29 million POSTS to likes?? you ALONE have 10,000 posts, but you can only have have ONE maybe two likes. hardly the same mate....
No, I agree its not the same. But 102,000 members on bigfooty, posting multimple times each, is far more impressive than a few hundred thousand likes on facebook, which means stuff all. I've liked pages on facebook and never even looked at them again.

Then we come down to the real meaning behind a supporter. How does sitting at home watching the odd game on TV compare to becoming a member and attending games? Both claim to support the sport but only one does so in a genuine manner IMO.
pHyR3
Captain
Captain

Post by pHyR3 »

Well then, by that logic this entire thread is invalid since it's based on tweets. I'll just go ahead and retort saying, who cares about tweets?? hardly a true supporter....

And i also referred to COMMENTS which are essnetially tweets but you ignored that.

If likes mean stuff all, and commeents mean stuff all. Why do people signing up for free on a forum, which i've probably done several hundred times, and posts mean something? oh right cause it's BIGFOOTY.COM!!!!!
NRLCrap1 wrote:
NRLCrap1 wrote:
Crowds don't mean squat.
the stupidity....