Who Should be the Face of Footy at Channel 7?

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Who Should be the Face of Footy at Channel 7?

Post by Beaussie »

Hmm, not sure about Glen Archer with no on-screen experience. What's so bad about bringing back Bruce? Failing that, I'm a fan of Dermott Brereton. Not sure if he's signed on with Channel 9 though. Well thoughts anyone? Who should be the face of footy at Channel 7?
Face of footy is playing in the backline
08 March 2006 Herald Sun
By STEVE PERKIN
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html

IMAGINE you're working at Channel 7 and your boss calls you into his office one day and says: "You're in charge of our AFL coverage." Where would you start?

Ian Johnson is that man in charge and right at this moment he's trying to decide which pegs to push into which holes.

He wanted Garry Lyon, but Lyon has accepted an offer to remain at Nine as co-host of The Footy Show.

Bruce McAvaney is in the wings and though he will certainly be a caller, it's unlikely Seven will turn the clock back and give him a more influential position.

Then there's Tim Watson. The former Essendon champion has the footballing credentials and has gained on-camera experience reading weekend sport bulletins.

He has also sharpened his media skills through his morning stints on radio with SEN.

But there's still a school of thought around that Watson would represent a risk.

I'm a Watson fan and someone at Seven must rate him highly enough to let him be part of the news. There is no more important program in a network's roster.

After that it's Clinton Grybus, Sandy Roberts or somebody from left field, such as Wayne Schwass.

And though finding "Seven's face of football" is a big project, there are other pegs to be found, and one I mentioned recently is Kangaroo star Glenn Archer.

I would suspect that, if you asked players and supporters,

Archer is the most respected player in the game today.

If I were Ian Johnson, I'd be signing Archer now and spending the entire year getting him used to on-screen work so that next year, when he most probably retires as a player, he's ready to move into the next phase of his life.

Television networks aren't particularly good at this. They tend to toss newcomers in front of a camera and let them sink or swim.

Archer will swim because he's good enough.

With some serious help, he might actually swim really well.
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Grim Reaper »

Neil Kerley.....if that fails.... Agro!
willsko87
Team:

Post by willsko87 »

If not Bruce, I wouldnt mind Clinton Grybus. He's on Fox Footy at the moment isnt he?
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:

Post by Grim Reaper »

What about Kerry Packer?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

willsko87 wrote:
If not Bruce, I wouldnt mind Clinton Grybus. He's on Fox Footy at the moment isnt he?
I don't have Foxtel so I can't answer that one.
beachlover
Team:

Post by beachlover »

no bruce & no to (my mullet is internal) kerley. get a bloke (so sorry bruce) who can actually articulate (sorry knucklehead). haven't seen much of clinton crybaby, but some of his stuff is less than average. at least Watson was a champ player.
sorry no definitive answer here. my 2 cents worth won't buy me much anymore, not even a south australian hooker.
life is good. Freo forever!