Kasprowicz, Lehmann dropped. Watson, MacGill to play.

Whether it be cricket, golf, basketball, tennis, boxing or any other sport - this is the place for you.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Kasprowicz, Lehmann dropped. Watson, MacGill to play.

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=4110
Kasper and Lehmann out of Test team
14:29 AEDT Sat Jan 1 2005

Michael Kasprowicz has been cruelly dropped and Darren Lehmann's international future placed in serious jeopardy after Australia's selectors rushed young gun Shane Watson into the Test XI and gave Stuart MacGill a berth on his beloved SCG.

Captain Ricky Ponting spent almost two hours debating the team's make-up with selector Allan Border before and during training, and consulted with senior players Matthew Hayden and Adam Gilchrist, before announcing the sacking of Kasprowicz and Lehmann despite Australia's 2-0 series lead over Pakistan going into Sunday's third Test.

Kasprowicz was named 12th man but, after bowling superbly all year, he will justifiably be feeling extraordinarily unlucky to be omitted. Lehmann will be anxious about his chances of ever being chosen again at the ripe old age of 34 after what has ended up being a poor summer.

"We think it's the best balanced side for this opposition and these conditions," said Ponting.

"There was a lot of talk about which way we should go - should we keep the same team that has done well in all conditions of late. There was a fair argument for that, there's no doubt about that."

Asked if his dumping signalled the end of Lehmann's Test days, Ponting replied: "No way at all. His selection was made wholly and solely for this game and these conditions.

"As I was saying to him then, as far as I'm concerned he hasn't been dropped. He's just been left out of the side because of us trying to get the balance right for the team. He's totally accepted that. It's not the end of him."

Ponting said it had been a matter of time before 23-year-old Watson, a genuinely fast bowler and classy batsman, was given a Test debut.

"We've all known Shane's potential for a long time now," said the Australian skipper.

"The way he has improved over the last 12 or 18 months ... he's bowling quick and his batting has come on in leaps and bounds. Have a look at him technically now compared to 12 months ago, he's a lot better player.

"We've got no worries about his abilities."

Ponting said breaking the news to Kasprowicz and Lehmann was the worst part of his job.

"It's certainly a hard thing to go to somebody and look them in the eye and tell them they're missing out on a game," said Ponting.

"I know how much it means to every player in the dressing room to play for Australia. When you have that taken away it's hard to deal with and it's certainly hard for me to do.

"But Both Darren and Michael accepted it really well there and they understand it is for the betterment of the team for this game.

"They're happy to cop it and get on with it and get back in the side very soon."

Ponting said MacGill's selection for a 34th Test was due to curator Tom Parker's pitch looking like "the SCG of old".

It was dry on Saturday and expected to provide significant turn over the final three days when MacGill and Shane Warne bowl in tandem.

"They're two of the best in the world," Ponting said. "Stuey knows conditions here like the back of his hand and his record here is absolutely outstanding and Warney's isn't much different.

"It's a great prospect to have them both in the side. Stuart really deserves his opportunity ... his form has been outstanding."

"Pakistan have never been great players of leg spin bowling. We think as this game goes on, having those two absolute quality leg spinners in the side is going to be the hardest bowling for Pakistan to face. It should be exciting to watch."

Perennial No.11 batsman Glenn McGrath is likely to be bumped up to number ten in the presence of genuine tailender MacGill.

Australia: Ricky Ponting (capt), Adam Gilchrist, Matthew Hayden, Justin Langer, Damien Martyn, Michael Clarke, Shane Watson, Shane Warne, Jason Gillespie, Glenn McGrath, Stuart MacGill, Michael Kasprowicz (12th man)
Fair enough call I suppose if they're genuine about the horses for courses argument. I know Watson is a decent cricketer and likely to be developed as a permanent and genuine all-rounder in the One Day arena, however I really cant see what a Sydney Test pitch can offer him with his level of experience that Kasprowicz can't use. Going on form, all three of our paceman (McGrath, Gillespie and Kasper) have all bowled equally well. I sense something more going on than the "we picked this team for the conditions" excuse. Probably the same reasons Kasper has been dumped in the past for, which no one apart from the selectors seems to know. We'll find out how safe Kasper's spot in the squad is when the Australian side is picked for their next match after Sydney.

On Lehmann, well, unfortunately he hasn't offered anything with the bat this series. But then again, neither has Hayden, or Clarke from memory. But I suppose Lehmann, too, suffers from Kasper Syndrome: Play poor, get dropped. Play well, 50/50 chance you'll keep your spot. Such is the competition for a place in the Australian side these days.

Sure they can't fit everyone in, Lee's situation is proof of that. But some of the chopping and changing of perfectly good line-ups leaves me a little amazed sometimes.

But maybe I'm wrong. Team selection issues have a way of getting me worked up for some reason.

Some quotes come to mind:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

"Always put your best side on the field".

On a lighter note, massive news on the batting order as you may have read in the article. Glenn McGrath has taken his first stride towards "all-rounder" :lol: status, by moving up from No. 11 to No. 10. Go Glenn you good thing! =D> :lol:
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

I agree with most of your sentiments Dizzi, however, I do recall you questioning Boof's place in the team in the past, so I'm surprised to read you coming to his defence!

IMO, Lehmann's omission is due (in part) to his age and with a view to picking an Ashes team that is remotely closer to 30 than 40. Same goes for Kasper, although I must admit Watson and Kasper are world's apart in style.

We all know that the selectors run to their own agendas so shock selections are of no surprise to me.

On a side issue, I wonder how Warne and MacGill are getting on in the dressing rooms - there has reportedly been no love lost between them in the past!