NRL record ratings.... unbelievable

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:
Been liked: 0

NRL record ratings.... unbelievable

Post by Willis 21 »

I tell ya friends...even I am gob-smacked at the success of this years NRL season...topped off by the ratings on Sunday night.

Only one word for it.

Stunning.

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/comm ... 936,168014

NRL final scores a TV goal
Louise Crossen, entertainment reporter
04oct05
THIS year's NRL grand final has entered the history books, scoring the highest television ratings for a rugby league final.

The nation came to a halt on Sunday night as 2.8 million viewers across Australia gathered to watch the game.

The NRL final also racked up record figures in Brisbane, becoming the city's top-rating show for the year.

Channel 9 said it was the highest-rating NRL grand final in southeast Queensland, outstripping State of Origin for the first time.

The finals clash between the Wests Tigers and the North Queensland Cowboys may not have delivered the result most Queensland fans were hoping for, but the marathon 11-hour broadcast kept viewers glued to their sets.

In Brisbane an average of 778,000 viewers tuned in to watch the game.

The TV audience peaked at 8.30pm, with a record 824,000 Brisbane viewers watching as the Wests Tigers romped home in the second half.

Nationally, Sydney recorded the highest viewers, with a peak audience of 1.2 million on Sunday night, or three-quarters of viewers.

Even in Melbourne – traditionally AFL territory – the grand final broadcast shot to the position of No.1 program of the night, with a peak of 587,000 viewers.

Speculation Queenslanders had abandoned league for Australian rules was silenced by Sunday's ratings figures.

In Brisbane the previous weekend, Channel 10 struggled to attract a peak audience of 431,378, with an average of 341,435 viewers tuning in to see the Sydney Swans walk away with the AFL premiership

Record ratings in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.

Channel 9 will be very pleased with this result..it will encourage them to give League a real go in Melbourne when they lose the AFL rights..

I like the bit in the article referring to speculation that Queenslanders are abandoning rugby league... :lol:

2005 ..what a year..

To quote Benny Elias, the winner is Rugby League...
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Not surprising that it rated well in Brisbane with a QLD team participating. The figures are artificially inflated anyway due to it being broadcast in prime time on Sunday night (traditionally the highest rating night of the week).

Still that peak of 1.2 million was less than the peak for the AFL GF in Sydney that was broadcast on a Saturday afternoon. Disappointing result for rugby league in Sydney you would think. Oh and the national figures for the AFL peaked at over 4 million. Just about double the figures for the NRL GF. The AFL and Channel 10 would be over the moon. Outrating the NRL in the so called rugby league heartland of Sydney. =D> =D> =D>
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

"The NRL final also racked up record figures in Brisbane, becoming the city's top-rating show for the year."

Beaussie i thought brissy was afl heartland? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The man who cried wolf has been struck out once again! Wolf wolf wolf! :lol:

In further news i am in darwin for the week and i must say the whole town hit nrl hysteria on sunday night. The streamers were everywhere for both teams, the pubs were alight with league fans aplenty, and most importantly for beaussies sake the newspapers had it on the front and back page on saturday, sunday and monday, even though bali victims were being shipped in!

I have to agree with you willis, rugby league what a season =D>

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

And you don't think Darwin would have been hit by AFL hysteria the weeks leading up to the AFL GF? I've heard the Swans actually have a massive following in the NT. Would be interesting to compare the TV ratings for the GFs in the NT market. I've no doubt the AFL GF would have hammered the NRL GF, just as it did nationwide.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Asked a bloke in a pub about the atmosphere during afl gf week. He said, "yeah it was alright but until we get our own afl team up here afl will always be second to rugby league".

I had to agree with him. :D

xman wrote:
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Beaussie wrote:
Still that peak of 1.2 million was less than the peak for the AFL GF in Sydney that was broadcast on a Saturday afternoon. Disappointing result for rugby league in Sydney you would think. Oh and the national figures for the AFL peaked at over 4 million. Just about double the figures for the NRL GF. The AFL and Channel 10 would be over the moon. Outrating the NRL in the so called rugby league heartland of Sydney. =D> =D> =D>
You are wrong again my friend.

NRL GF peaked at 1.267 Mil in Sydney. AFL 1.23 Mil.

The average viewers were 200,000 higher in Sydney for the Rugby League.

Also - including regionals more than 4 mil watched the RL, up 800,000 on last year. This is only 300,000 less than the AFL which had the advantage of their game being shown Live around Australia.

I proclaim that the winner is Rugby League.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I proclaim the man who cried wolf (beaussie) has been wolfing all year...some people choose to believe him and his stats...other more enlightened being dont. :)

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Willis 21 wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
You are wrong again my friend.

NRL GF peaked at 1.267 Mil in Sydney. AFL 1.23 Mil.
No you are the one who has it wrong. The AFL did indeeed peak at 1.23 million, but the NRL only peaked at 1.2 million:
Nationally, Sydney recorded the highest viewers, with a peak audience of 1.2 million on Sunday night, or three-quarters of viewers.

Souce: Courier Mail
Pretty impressive for the AFL even you'd agree when you consider that a Saturday afternoon GF for the AFL commanded more than 3/4 of the viewers in Sydney, whilst also out rating the prime time Sunday night NRL GF when the peak audience is considered.
Willis 21 wrote:
Also - including regionals more than 4 mil watched the RL, up 800,000 on last year. This is only 300,000 less than the AFL which had the advantage of their game being shown Live around Australia.

I proclaim that the winner is Rugby League.
Artificially inflated figures for the NRL with a Sunday night prime time GF. You and I both know that. Still it couldn't beat the Saturday afternoon AFL GF, which including regionals peaked at with a total audience of 5,250,000.

The winner as is always the case is the AFL.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I think the winner is sport.

xman wrote:
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Beaussie wrote:
[

No you are the one who has it wrong. The AFL did indeeed peak at 1.23 million, but the NRL only peaked at 1.2 million:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Gra ... 44549.html

Sydney's average of 1.186 million viewers, which peaked at 1.267 million, was up 140,000 on last year.

The result was the highest audience since night-time grand finals were introduced in 2001 and could be the highest ever.

How do you like them apples??

Me =:lol: :) :D :o :cool: :lol:

You = :arrow: :? :| :cry: :oops:
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:
Has thanked: 0

Post by Grim Reaper »

Asked a bloke in a pub about the atmosphere during afl gf week. He said, "yeah it was alright but until we get our own afl team up here afl will always be second to rugby league".

I had to agree with him.

Which pib was this? I go to Darwin all the time and the people I meet hate NRL!
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Grim Reaper wrote:
Which pib was this? I go to Darwin all the time and the people I meet hate NRL!
Turn it up you gibberer....

Every time I'm in Darwin, I can't believe the support for NRL....

Especially amongst my friends within the indigenous population.

All they rave about is Bowen, Widders,Sing,Cliffy Lyons and Benji...

I try to explain to them that Benji is a kiwi, but they don't wanna know...
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Dunno grim i think it was called shennanigans :lol:

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Willis 21 wrote:
All they rave about is Bowen, Widders,Sing,Cliffy Lyons and Benji...
I live in Sydney and don't even recognise any of them names you listed (Widders being the exception). I doubt very much those in Darwin would either.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Dont lie beaussie you know em :wink:

xman wrote: