Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Richmond Tigers
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Slaters bomb defusal style

Post by Scorger Man »

I find it hard to comprehend how Slater can get off the charges uncontested against him from Thursday Nights clash against the Bulldogs.

I have been a fan of Billy's for a long time - I believe he is one of the most skillful players to run around in my era and do enjoy watching him play in whatever jumper he is in.

This said, I've seen Billy defuse many a bomb and I do not believe for one iota of a second that the style in which he took that bomb was in any way his natural style. I believe however that his extended right leg was used as a defense mechanism against the approaching Klemmer. Klemmer's assumed actions aside, the fact remains he had not made any contact with Slater prior to Slater's right leg taking a 90 degree projection into Klemmer's head region.

My point - An aerial neck/head stomp is a high risk play that has not place on a football field - defensive or not. Slater may be highly skilled but there are too many variables to take into account in a split second decision that could end a players career, if not worse.

Billy's natural skill can be his downfall as we saw him going on report for a feet first tackle on a try scoring Yow Yeh in 2010. I could bank on it that he could pull that try save off 99 out of 100 times - but that 1% that of the time it doesn't work?? A sprig laden footy boot to the eye could see the end of a players careers who only deserves to have as much opportunity as Billy himself has been afforded
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Slaters bomb defusal style

Post by King-Eliagh »

Interesting post there scorger. I at first thought it was more unconscious so he shoulda been let off. Cant remember if he was penalised or not but after reading your report a penalty would be suffice i reckon and perhaps if this is more than a one off then suspensions could come into play.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?