Are NSW & QLD Ready for New Teams?

Australian Football news and discussion.

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 5

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

I've always been a believer that two new AFL teams are needed in NSW and QLD to ensure the continued growth of the code. One in Western Sydney and one on the Gold Coast I think would be a success, provided the AFL fully supported both new teams initially.

Why waste money propping up unsustainable teams in Victoria when the growth markets for the code are clearly NSW and QLD?

Unfortunately in Sydney's case in particular, when the Swans fail, the interest in the AFL from the media and general public drops off. Having 2 teams in NSW and QLD I would think would increase the popularity of the code, by ensuring there is an AFL game in NSW and QLD each weekend of the AFL season. Additionally when the Swans or Lions are in rebuilding mode, one would hope the second team would be successful ensuring interest in the code continues. Lets face it, not all AFL fans in NSW support the Swans and the same can be said for AFL support in QLD with the Lions.

Having additional teams in NSW and QLD would also ease the load on the Swans and Lions when it comes to development work in each state.

Well with that said, are new teams in NSW and QLD viable?
Harold
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by Harold »

I've voted yes, but which teams would you be relocating? I'd move north melbourne and footscray, but that leaves a huge hole in the western suburbs. Hawthorn's days are numbered, but they'll probably either move to tassie or else merge with melbourne. And I can't see either carlton or collingwood being prepared to help out with national growth.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Harold wrote:
I've voted yes, but which teams would you be relocating? I'd move north melbourne and footscray, but that leaves a huge hole in the western suburbs. Hawthorn's days are numbered, but they'll probably either move to tassie or else merge with melbourne. And I can't see either carlton or collingwood being prepared to help out with national growth.
North Melbourne burnt their bridges in Sydney when they played some home games up here a few season ago. The future I would think for the Kangaroos is Canberra. They have to make it clear however that they are willing to relocate. Their Sydney experiment failed because they made it all too clear that Sydney was only seen as a a fly in, fly out destination. Who could blame the Sydney public for not supporting them.

Western Bulldogs I would think would be perfect for Western Sydney, playing their Melbourne games at a redeveloped Whitten Oval.

As for Hawthorn well, I think your right, their future is in Tasmania.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Oh gee, forgot to mention QLD.

With the backing of Southport Sharks, the AFL should act quickly to establish a new team on the Gold Coast and ensure Carrara stays oval shaped and is not redeveloped into a rectangular field, as proposed by the supporters of an NRL franchise on the Gold Coast.