Continueation of Tanking thread

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels
Been liked: 0

Continueation of Tanking thread

Post by eelofwest »

:lol:
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Re: Continueation of Tanking thread

Post by Xman »

The priority pick is no longer policy so tanking is irrelevant now.

Close thread? :P
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Post by eelofwest »

Xman wrote:

Mate with that statement does blind freddy see that tanking must be happening if they are to change the priority draft.... :?: :lol: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Thank you for confirming what all of us already know, tanking does exist in the AFL in some shape or form.......case closed.

There was it that hard Xman... =D> =D>
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

eelofwest wrote:
Xman wrote:

Mate with that statement does blind freddy see that tanking must be happening if they are to change the priority draft.... :?: :lol: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Thank you for confirming what all of us already know, tanking does exist in the AFL in some shape or form.......case closed.

not at all. speculation about tanking was reason enough to take it away.

If tanking did exist its ancient history now.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Post by eelofwest »

Xman wrote:
eelofwest wrote:
Xman wrote:

Okay so blind freddy finally understands that the rule was changed because people in the know say tanking exists.......congratulations your no longer blind freddy...... :lol:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

eelofwest wrote:
Xman wrote:
eelofwest wrote:

Okay so blind freddy finally understands that the rule was changed because people in the know say tanking exists.......congratulations your no longer blind freddy...... :lol:
every year sections of the media would focus on tanking. The AFL stopped the priority pick to stop the speculation. It in no way suggests tanking was real. There were still sections of the media and public that didnt believe in tanking in the AFL.
eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Post by eelofwest »

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... 6452252826
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/eight- ... 6452177445 A must read.

AFL investigation into tanking uncovers new suspect game between Melbourne Demons and Sydney Swans

Michael Warner and Mark Robinson
Herald Sun
August 17, 2012 7:29AM

Matthew Warnock

Microscope ... Matthew Warnock in action during the round 17, 2009 match. Source: Phil Hillyard / The Daily Telegraph

A new suspect game has emerged as the AFL probes tanking claims against Melbourne Demons.

The Demons lost to Sydney Swans in Canberra in round 17, 2009, after making seven changes from the previous week.

The Match

Melbourne v Sydney, round 17, Manuka Oval, Canberra July 26, 2009.

OUT: Mark Jamar (quad), Brock McLean (knee), Jack Grimes (back), Brad Green (leg), Russell Robertson (dropped), James Frawley (back) and Neville Jetta (flu).

IN: Kyle Cheney, Michael Newton, Paul Johnson, Shane Valenti, Matthew Whelan, Brad Miller and Jordie McKenzie.

Six players were listed as injured or ill and another was dropped.

Figures connected to the club have told the Herald Sun they were privy to a conversation with a senior Melbourne official the night before the match which indicated steps had been taken to reduce the prospect of a win.

The conversation at a Canberra hotel centred around concerns the Demons would win too many games in 2009, costing them a priority pick at the national draft.

"We'll be right, we've made eight changes," the Melbourne official is alleged to have said.

Associates of the club have said they would consider submitting to formal interview as part of the AFL's tanking probe.

A Herald Sun investigation has revealed:

THEN Melbourne captain James McDonald has been interviewed by the AFL and denies tanking took place.

ONE of Melbourne's club doctors from 2009 said "blind Freddy could tell the team wasn't picked for optimal performance" late in the season.

TWO of the seven changes for the Canberra match were made after team selection.

MELBOURNE'S interchange rotations fell dramatically in the match and other late-season games.

The Demons would not comment on Thursday when asked about the Canberra game or the tanking investigation.

Asked about the Manuka match on Thursday night, an AFL spokesman said: "We are not providing a running commentary on the investigation or confirming who or how many people we have spoken to".

The AFL inquiry, led by chief integrity officer Brett Clothier, has involved interviews with a number of past and present Demons officials.

They include 2008-2011 senior coach Dean Bailey, innovations coach Dave Dunbar, part-time development coach Scott West, recruiting manager Barry Prendergast and McDonald.

Vice-president Don McLardy, football operations manager Chris Connolly, chief executive Cameron Schwab and assistant coaches Sean Wellman, Mark Williams and Josh Mahoney are also on the AFL's interview list.

At the centre of the investigation are questions about Melbourne's selection and game-day strategy.

Tanking occurs when a team deliberately sets out to lose games.

The tanking furore has previously centred on the Melbourne' narrow round 18 loss to Richmond, where Tiger Jordan McMahon kicked a match-winning goal after the siren, and the round 22 loss to St Kilda, involving several puzzling interchange and positional moves.

In the Swans match in Canberra in round 17, Melbourne used their interchange bench 67 times - down from their season average of 85.

Melbourne's five lowest interchange totals of the year occurred from rounds 17-22.

In round 18 it was 47, their lowest of the season. In round 19 it was 49, in round 21 it was 56, and in round 22 it was 73.

But in round 20 against Fremantle, which the Demons won at the MCG by 63 points, the interchange numbers climbed to 99, their third highest of the season.
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

I hope they continue to investigate this to the full extent. If Melbourne did indeed deliberately lose games to gain a priority pick they should receive severe sanctions because it is cheating.
AFL Warrior
Captain
Captain
Team: Collingwood
Has thanked: 0

Post by AFL Warrior »

Leave Melbourne alone, they done nothing wrong...Racists!
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

AFL Warrior wrote:
I would be happy to leave them alone if they are innocent. But if they tanked they deserve a sever kick up the arse. [-X
eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Post by eelofwest »

Xman wrote:
AFL Warrior wrote:
I would be happy to leave them alone if they are innocent. But if they tanked they deserve a sever kick up the arse. [-X
So if they are found guilty of tanking what should be the punishment guys?

Play a whole season for no points? Would help them develop a winning culture i guess.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

No, there is only one punishment IF they are found guilty.

Kick them out of the comp altogether.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

eelofwest wrote:
Xman wrote:
AFL Warrior wrote:
So if they are found guilty of tanking what should be the punishment guys?

Play a whole season for no points? Would help them develop a winning culture i guess.
I dont think so. Maybe no first round draft picks for 2 years. This effectively takes back the advantage they received with the priority pick and gives them another wack for cheating.

Itll be tough for them because theyre one of the smaller AFL teams and have a fairly average to poor list currently.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Wehell wehell wehell, whaddaya know eh? We knew it was only a matter of time. Xman and TLPG, the pair of you should hang your heads in shame and take this as a reality check to take more heed of what I and others say on this forum. :D Then atleast some good will come out of this whole furore.

Now with this in mind, I'd like a few things done quickiddy sticks.

1. Reopen the original tanking file. It's an all time classic thread, receiving much interest and passioned debate.

2. TLPG to publicly apologise to myself and our members for taking things to the personal level. While his cheap threats were not taken as threatening by yours truly...:lol: i mean really TLPG wouldnt and couldnt hurt a fly apart from telling it that he's right and the fly is wrong, which he probably does often in the summertime, god bless him. Even so he should apologise as he took the debate out of the realms of fightclub guidelines and escalated the debate to a personal threat level, hence pookus and him going at it in the latter posts.

3. If TLPG fails to apologise, which he no doubt will, I strongly recommend his moderator badges be taken off him. We cannot have a moderator who blatantly breaks forum guidelines without at the very least showing some remorse for his action. And let me remind you this isnt the first occasion where he's indicated i need to be "bashed". [-X

Other than that its been great stuff and I'm happy to see atleast you have apparently acknowledged the truth in this matter Xman.

Thanking you in advance,
Yours,
KE :salute:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Personally I agree with TLPG. Kick em out of the comp. It'll send a very strong message and in any case with the expansion occurring it'll create some space in the comp for a tassie or Darwin side.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?