Close tussle for playoffs the reason NRL is winning TV war

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
justanotherleaguefan
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Newcastle Knights
Been liked: 0

Close tussle for playoffs the reason NRL is winning TV war

Post by justanotherleaguefan »

I don't know about you, but my footy tipping's bad enough without the NRL form chart getting tossed out the window.

Five outsiders, including the Canberra Raiders, have been on the winning side of the ledger in one of the more bizarre rounds in recent history.

There's every chance that could become six if the Wests Tigers can take down the North Queensland Cowboys in Townsville tonight.

No wonder the impending television rights deal is going to deliver the code a billion-dollar windfall.

Advertisement

With six weeks to go before the finals, we should have a decent idea of the premiership contenders and which sides are simply more concerned with sunbaking on a Bali beach in September.

Not this year.

Apart from the red-hot Canterbury Bulldogs and the rampaging South Sydney Rabbitohs, the rest of the competition has been up and down like a yo-yo.

Take the Raiders for example.

Having clinically disposed of the St George Illawarra Dragons and the Melbourne Storm in the space of five days, the Raiders thudded back to earth with a woeful display against the Gold Coast Titans.

So it would have taken a brave punter to put their hard earned on the Green Machine for yesterday's trip to Toyota Stadium.

Sure, the Sharks were missing two of the key cogs of their forward pack, but even without NSW skipper Paul Gallen and veteran back-rower Jeremy Smith, the form guide suggested they'd get the job done.

Not so.

The Raiders were at their brilliant best, the Sharks crumbled and the rest is history.

A string of upsets suggests this is the most level competition in years.

The Bulldogs extended their hot streak to eight games by beating the reigning premiers, the Titans stunned the Broncos in the south-east Queensland derby and the Knights accounted for the Warriors in New Zealand to keep their hopes alive.

Then there's Parramatta, which followed the time-honoured tradition of winning after sacking a coach.

Steve Kearney's axing, or him standing down, whichever version of events you believe, came a day before the lowly Eels heaped more misery on the Storm.

Compare this to the lopsided world of the AFL and it's easy to see why the NRL is winning the TV war.

Expansion clubs Gold Coast Suns and GWS Giants are cannon fodder for everyone else, leaving seven games a week that at least promise a contest.

While the AFL is openly sacrificing short-term pain for long-term gain, you'd be hard pressed to find a sports fan who is prepared to sit through one-sided demolitions like the one the Giants suffered a the hands of the Fremantle Dockers yesterday.

The Giants kicked three points up until half-time. Three.

Five goals after the break only lessened the damage of an embarrassing 95-point defeat - which only marginally covered the line bookmakers gave the Dockers, such are the low expectations of the Giants.

To the AFL's credit, this is probably the most open premiership in some time.

The Sydney Swans, Collingwood, Adelaide and Hawthorn all have genuine claims to the silverware, while West Coast, Essendon and Geelong are capable of causing a boilover in the finals.

All in all, it's a bookmaker's delight and a nightmare for frustrated tipsters around the country.

Including this one.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/c ... z21U3rRLZE
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Re: Close tussle for playoffs the reason NRL is winning TV w

Post by Xman »

To the AFL's credit, this is probably the most open premiership in some time.

The Sydney Swans, Collingwood, Adelaide and Hawthorn all have genuine claims to the silverware, while West Coast, Essendon and Geelong are capable of causing a boilover in the finals.
What a load of horse shite! :roll:

For starters even Roy Masters BS cumulative figures last year showed the NRL won by essentially the SOO ratings only. Yet this year the AFLs ratings have gone up by 25-30%! How the hell would the NRL be winning anything? :roll:

Secondly, the article claims the AFL season is lopsided yet focuses on two teams, but ignores the easy beats of the NRL!

Then it totally contradicts itself by finally stating the truth that the AFL actually have the most open premiership race for some time!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

For proof of Xman's comment;

http://www.talkingfooty.com/tv_ratings_2012.php

62,568,000 AFL
50,454,000 NRL
(Not including this weekend just gone)

Even if the 7.6 from the three SOO games was included, you'd STILL be behind!

So who's winning the TV war again?

And don't give me the regional BS, because there are no reliable figures available - not to mention the fact that it's metro numbers that those battling for TV rights are interested in!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels

Post by eelofwest »

TLPG wrote:

62,568,000 AFL
50,454,000 NRL

And don't give me the regional BS, because there are no reliable figures available - not to mention the fact that it's metro numbers that those battling for TV rights are interested in!
Tpg you have just proved how close the NRL is and this is without Regional viewers. NRL has several teams in regional markets, add the regional viewership and its no contest buddy.... =D>
Oh and not to mention 4 live AFL on FTA 9 Foxfotty games comapred to 1 Live 2 delayed FTA and 5 Fox games...... :cool:
I cant wait for this TV deal to be made, if we get anything close to the coverage the AFL has then its goodnight TV ratings war. The NRL will embarrass the AFL on TV ratings in 2013 Mark my words. :wink:

No the TV rights networks are clearly interested in regional markets... [-X

http://www.thinktv.com.au/SiteMedia/w3s ... r_2011.pdf

Advertising revenue for commercial television networks

Metropolitan Service
Sydney 577,597,088 -7.10%
Melbourne 434,129,053 -6.76%
Brisbane 283,258,091 -1.12%
Adelaide 117,750,735 -4.31%
Perth 174,983,262 -0.88%
TOTAL 1,587,718,229 -5.12%

Regional Service
New South Wales 207,315,118 -2.11%
Victoria 69,500,589 -4.33%
Queensland 115,558,314 -1.08%
South Australia 18,272,479 12.64%
West Australia 24,342,211 -1.18%
Northern Territories/ Tasmania 37,523,430 -6.65%
TOTAL 472,512,141 -2.03%

As you will notice the regional NSW and QLD are massive when it comes to revenue for the FTA add revenue.

So i think it is high time you start opening your eyes Tpg, NRL is king in regional NSW and QLD and makes up over 322,000,00 of the possible 472,512,141 for revenue in regional markets. :cool:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

eelofwest wrote:
TLPG wrote:

62,568,000 AFL
50,454,000 NRL

Tpg you have just proved how close the NRL is and this is without Regional viewers. NRL has several teams in regional markets, add the regional viewership and its no contest buddy.... =D>
Oh and not to mention 4 live AFL on FTA 9 Foxfotty games comapred to 1 Live 2 delayed FTA and 5 Fox games...... :cool:
I cant wait for this TV deal to be made, if we get anything close to the coverage the AFL has then its goodnight TV ratings war. The NRL will embarrass the AFL on TV ratings in 2013 Mark my words. :wink:

No the TV rights networks are clearly interested in regional markets... [-X

http://www.thinktv.com.au/SiteMedia/w3s ... r_2011.pdf

Advertising revenue for commercial television networks

Metropolitan Service
Sydney 577,597,088 -7.10%
Melbourne 434,129,053 -6.76%
Brisbane 283,258,091 -1.12%
Adelaide 117,750,735 -4.31%
Perth 174,983,262 -0.88%
TOTAL 1,587,718,229 -5.12%

Regional Service
New South Wales 207,315,118 -2.11%
Victoria 69,500,589 -4.33%
Queensland 115,558,314 -1.08%
South Australia 18,272,479 12.64%
West Australia 24,342,211 -1.18%
Northern Territories/ Tasmania 37,523,430 -6.65%
TOTAL 472,512,141 -2.03%

As you will notice the regional NSW and QLD are massive when it comes to revenue for the FTA add revenue.

So i think it is high time you start opening your eyes Tpg, NRL is king in regional NSW and QLD and makes up over 322,000,00 of the possible 472,512,141 for revenue in regional markets. :cool:
:roll:

Even Roy Masters showed the regional ratings favor the NRL by around 400k per round, despite areas of AFl heartland not being counted.

You still come up short, plus you've had 2 more rounds, plus you have 8 exclusive games per round compared to 5, plus your game goes for 30% less time meaning the AFLs peak is higher, plus your game has about 1/3rd the advertising! :lol:

Even if you get more coverage this doesn't mean you'll get many more viewers. You already have each match on TV with all payTV live. An additional FTA game will reduce your foxtel ratings and subscriptions. Showing simulcast FTA and foxtel will only split your viewers not increase them.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
piesman2011
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood

Post by piesman2011 »

Unfortunately these lists are not compete there is a lot of missing data which has not been released for some games. I lot of the 7 mate data is missing and some games themselves have next to no data.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Precisely my point, Pies! That's why when it comes to the crunch, the regionals will be ignored at TV rights time. You can't get around it, Eel.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
piesman2011
Coach
Coach

Post by piesman2011 »

Another point is that the NRL season is a few rounds ahead of the AFL season and the AFL viewership has slowly caught up and has now overtaken the NRL viewership.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Xman I agree this article only focussed on two of the 4-6 basketcases in the AFL comp. In this sense its a very narrow article indeed. I mean melbourne and port adeliade are simply cannon fodder for 85% of the teams in the comp. Second string they are. Lopsided to billio is the afl at the moment and its a big problem.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Xman I agree this article only focussed on two of the 4-6 basketcases in the AFL comp. In this sense its a very narrow article indeed. I mean melbourne and port adeliade are simply cannon fodder for 85% of the teams in the comp. Second string they are. Lopsided to billio is the afl at the moment and its a big problem.
Every league has cellar dweller teams, even the NRl. The AFL have 2 extras this year due to expansion. This will resolve itself over the next 3-5 years. Sure, it's not ideal but eventually it will be worth it.

But this season has seen one of the closest races for the top 8 and premiership that I can remember. =D>
piesman2011
Coach
Coach

Post by piesman2011 »

I like the idea of TLPG's figures however I wanted to add all the rep games to the NRL figure and all the NAB cup games to the AFLs figure.

In the end I came up with the following totals:
AFL 71.422 million
NRL 60.582 million

At this stage there are figures missing from the AFL in the form of missing data including regionals, 7 mate and some 7 data. And of course the NRL is missing regionals (inc SOO regionals). I believe at this stage the figures are quite close with NRL getting probabaly 10 million + with regionals, however there are about 6-7 rounds to go in the regular season with the AFL getting about 4 million viewers compared to the NRLs 3 million even with the NRL making up 400K a week with regionals the AFL should pull ahead by another 4 million or so.
Pete_09
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Brisbane Lions

Post by Pete_09 »

The reason the NRL is so even is because there is no skill involced in it so any team can win any match.

In AFL there is skill so the most skillfull team wins most of the time.

Its not rocket science...
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

piesman2011 wrote:
I like the idea of TLPG's figures however I wanted to add all the rep games to the NRL figure and all the NAB cup games to the AFLs figure.
Can't stop you from doing that, Pies, but it's a misnomer. Chiefly because you'll never see SOO on pay TV. Nine would never let that happen. Not only that, the rep games are not club games. They are not part of the season - which also applies to the NAB Cup by the way.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels

Post by eelofwest »

TLPG wrote:
piesman2011 wrote:
Can't stop you from doing that, Pies, but it's a misnomer. Chiefly because you'll never see SOO on pay TV. Nine would never let that happen. Not only that, the rep games are not club games. They are not part of the season - which also applies to the NAB Cup by the way.
Aussie Rules 4 live games + 9 on Fox footy+ regionals
RL 1 live game 2 delayed + 5 on Fox + Rep Games + regionals

RL wins hands down, them the facts. =D>

Next year you boys better get your cleanex ready.... :lol: :lol:
Last edited by eelofwest on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Pete_09 wrote:
The reason the NRL is so even is because there is no skill involced in it so any team can win any match.

In AFL there is skill so the most skillfull team wins most of the time.

Its not rocket science...
And clearly you'll never ever be a rocket scientist. Thank god our astronauts will be safe! :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?