How Ridiculous - New Stadium for Storm

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

How Ridiculous - New Stadium for Storm

Post by Beaussie »

Herald Sun wrote:
A rectangular stadium for rugby league and soccer matches is the centrepiece of State Government plans to redevelop Olympic Park, the Herald Sun has been told.

Work on the 20,000-seat stadium is expected to start soon after next year's Commonwealth Games and be completed in 2008.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common ... 61,00.html

A 20,000 seat stadium for the Melbourne Storm, yet they can't even get 9,000.

What a waste of taxpayer funds, as clearly shown by the official crowd for the Top 8 NRL challenge last night:

Melbourne v Cronulla
Venue: Olympic Park
Crowd: 8,372
MAKAVELI
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by MAKAVELI »

I wonder how many the Swans would draw with similar facilties.

About time our government treated the Storm with the same respect Brisbane show the Lions and Sydney show the Swans.

Storm are a great team with a big future, especially now that their place in the NRL is effectively quaranteed.

I'll definately be going to Olympic Park regularly once they do the place up.

They have a lot of support in Melbourne, we just don't know when they are playing or who, we don't get a chance get to know them.

I don't care about what rugby does with their contract, but I hope we get to see the Storm on tele.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

MAKAVELI wrote:
I wonder how many the Swans would draw with similar facilties.
We have shit facilities in the SCG yet the crowds are still good. Facilities are a weak excuse for a lack of crowds if you ask me. If people like the team/code they'll support them wherever they play I would've thought. That's what is called passion and commitment to your club isn't it?
MAKAVELI wrote:
They have a lot of support in Melbourne, we just don't know when they are playing or who, we don't get a chance get to know them.
What, the people of Victoria don't read the Herald Sun which promotes it's own product the Melbourne Storm? Perhaps it is more to do with the fact that Victorians don't have any interest in rugby league. Surely you're not trying to tell us that the Herald Sun does not publish when the games are on and who the Storm are playing. From what I've heard the Storm get a full page each week with such details, not to mention all the other articles in the paper each day of the week.
MAKAVELI wrote:
I don't care about what rugby does with their contract, but I hope we get to see the Storm on tele.
The NRL doesn't seem to care about getting its code on FTA TV in developing markets. Look at the AFL who stress the importance of such measures when negotiating the TV rights. Have you heard any mention of such conditions needing to be satisfied by Gallop? I wouldn't hold your breath that Victorians will get any FTA TV coverage of Storm games out of the next broadcasting agreement.
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

MAKAVELI wrote:
I'll definately be going to Olympic Park regularly once they do the place up.
Makaveli, if I were you, I'd stick to being a lurker without an identity rather than being seen with those few sad individuals at Storm games.

I thought rap artists only showed up at venues with large drug-induced crowds?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

How r the facilities crap at the scg beaussie?

Small ground i know but otherwise everything works a treat, if u ask me its a great place to watch afl.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
How r the facilities crap at the scg beaussie?

Small ground i know but otherwise everything works a treat, if u ask me its a great place to watch afl.
It's a piece of shit when compared with Telstra Stadium. Outdated and a complete lack of proper facilities for spectators. Ever seen the lines just to go the toilets during the breaks? I particularly feel sorry for the ladies as the line is absolutely ridiculous. :roll:

Oh and how can we forget to mention its toy ground status in the AFL. The 50m arc touches the centre square for crying out loud.

Demolish the lot and start again. The SCG is a dump.

All that said, I will admit it does have a good atmosphere at times.
MAKAVELI
Team:

Post by MAKAVELI »

Obviously never been to Olympic Park. :D
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

I agree with the toilets thats something that could be easily fixed though. And i mentioned the size of the ground but who cares it still produces some fantastic matches. I think the place has some character about it aswell, would be ashame to lose that just for a modern metallic no character/no atmosphere stadium like telstra stadium.

The scg is in the heart of sydney and to tell you the truth i havent felt a good atmosphere at telstra in any afl, nrl match before....the place is shit.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?